Regal & Royal both in St Thomas today!

CruisinFinsUp

Lucky folks, both at Havensight! Oasis or Allure must be at Crown Bay.

The vinow website had them berthed differently

Wednesday - February 4th

Allure of the Seas - Crown Bay

Carnival Splendor -Havensight

Norwegian Gem - Anchorage

Norwegian Getaway - Havensight

Regal Princess - Crown Bay

Royal Princess - Havensight

That is gonna be one crowded port.:eek: and is also one of the reasons I have little interest of cruising the Caribbean anytime soon.

Bob

For some of us Bob, it's no longer about the ports. My last seven cruises were about the ship...as will be the next cruise, and the next one after that, and the next one...

:D

Last time I was in St. Thomas 9 ships were in port. Some had to anchor.

I took a ship excursion and opted to be dropped off downtown. There was complete gridlock. I walked back to Crown Point. It is a lot further than it looks.

That is gonna be one crowded port and is also one of the reasons I have little interest of cruising the Caribbean anytime soon.

Bob

Hi Bob, I agree. We were fortunate to be in St. Thomas on the Royal on Sunday 1/25. Sunday is the best day to visit the island and there were only two other smaller ships in the harbor. Magens Bay was a pleasure by today’s standards. This will show my age but I remember when the Song of Norway would be the only ship in St. Thomas’ West Indian Docks. With only 700 passengers the island was a delight. Those were the heydays of cruising in my opinion. The ship as the destination has never appealed to us.

Magens1_zpsea9b4962.jpg

Magens2_zps7d3a72c7.jpg

Missed that cruise on Regal this week do to other commitments but my brother-in-law text me and said it was really cool when the Royal blew the "Love Boat Theme" and Regal responded with the same. Pretty neat.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Missed that cruise on Regal this week do to other commitments but my brother-in-law text me and said it was really cool when the Royal blew the "Love Boat Theme" and Regal responded with the same. Pretty neat.

We were on the Jan. 18th Royal sailing from Ft. Lauderdale. It was the first time the Regal and Royal were together. They each saluted each other several times with the Love Boat Theme during sailaway. It was a nice treat for us to hear both ships answering each other,

That would have been very cool! Dueling Love Boat themes!

This will show my age but I remember when the Song of Norway would be the only ship in St. Thomas’ West Indian Docks. With only 700 passengers the island was a delight. Those were the heydays of cruising in my opinion. The ship as the destination has never appealed to us.

We must be about be same age.... ;)

I remember taking vacations specifically to go to Miami, Port Everglades, and NYC, just to see all of the cruise ships. I'd study Cruise Travel magazine's quarterly issue that listed the ports and departure dates, and then fly down for a weekend just to take pictures of them. My favorite was always Miami; there was Britannis, Emerald Seas, Caribe I, Dolphin, Sunward II, Song of Norway, and Carnivale, to name a few.

In New York City there was the Homeric, Atlantic, Stella Solaris, Bermuda Star, and Amerikanis.

I lived in Naples, Italy for two years and saw ships like EugenioCosta, Royal Viking Sky, and Achille Lauro.

And in California while was in the Navy, saw Rotterdam, Saga Fjord, Fairsky, and Royal Viking Star, among many others, including the original Pacific Princess, which I had the pleasure to board in St. Thomas while my Navy ship was at anchor that day.

But back then I had no actual desire to 'cruise' on those ships, as they really didn't offer anything that different which was appealing to me. I was already on a ship, sailing the seven seas. Even while I was in the Navy, the Caribbean was sort of cool and stuff, but the ports and islands were never that interesting.

It's really great that we both have lived to see so much, witness cruise ships evolve from your 'heyday' to their current state of being floating resorts and amusement parks. Times change, and we have to change with them, or get left behind.

For me, personally, 'cruising' was never about the destination itself; it was about the sea, the journey getting there, and being on an amazing ship.

Edited by dmwnc1959

So cool..thanks for sharing. I wish we had gotten to dock at Havensight on the Royal.

I think it's a personal preference - some like Crown Bay and others Havensight - but during my 14-nights aboard Royal Princess I had the opportunity to dock at both, and I prefer Havensight; mostly because of the view from the ship of the harbor, and easy access to the Paradise Point tramway so I can take pictures of all of the cruise ships that are there for the day.

I think it's a personal preference - some like Crown Bay and others Havensight - but during my 14-nights aboard Royal Princess I had the opportunity to dock at both, and I prefer Havensight; mostly because of the view from the ship of the harbor, and easy access to the Paradise Point tramway so I can take pictures of all of the cruise ships that are there for the day.

Although we walk to downtown from both, the walk from Havensight is more pedestrian friendly and scenic.

Dave;

Very good point sir.....:):):)

Bob

As it has been said countless times before:

We all cruise for different reasons, and what ever that reason, we shouldn't take that away from others, or make it lesser than 'our reason'. It's great to have soooo many choices, so many ships, and for those where it matters, so many destinations.

Fair winds and following seas, no matter why you choose to cruise.

;)

To the OP, thanks for the link to the webcam even though I got here too late to see the ships while they were there. I love cruise port webcams, so I have no idea how I didn't know about that one.

Dave, thank you for posting the pictures so I did get to see the two ships together in Havensight after all!