Can you restrict teens from leaving the ship alone in port?

On our next cruise, my kids will be old enough to check themselves in / out of the Kids' Club. As they will have their Sea pass, is there a way to restrict them from actually leaving the ship on their own while in Port? I don't think my kids would ever do this, but I would like to know whether I can formally put this restriction on their Sea pass (i.e. They would need to be with a parent in order to leave the ship in port).

Perfect, thanks for the quick reply. When we usually leave the ship our kids just hand their card over to the attendant and we all walk off. I never noticed whether or not the attendant was looking to see whether my kids were with an adult. Typically, in the mad stampede to move everyone off the ship, they just seem to scan blindly.Hopefully, they are doing more than I observed!

Perfect, thanks for the quick reply. When we usually leave the ship our kids just hand their card over to the attendant and we all walk off. I never noticed whether or not the attendant was looking to see whether my kids were with an adult. Typically, in the mad stampede to move everyone off the ship, they just seem to scan blindly.Hopefully, they are doing more than I observed!

On our last cruise our teenage children were always asked about their parents when we were leaving the ship. We were just behind them, but it was good to know that the staff was doing such a good work.:)

On our next cruise, my kids will be old enough to check themselves in / out of the Kids' Club. As they will have their Sea pass, is there a way to restrict them from actually leaving the ship on their own while in Port? I don't think my kids would ever do this, but I would like to know whether I can formally put this restriction on their Sea pass (i.e. They would need to be with a parent in order to leave the ship in port).

You can have their sea pass cards flagged with a message not to allow them off the ship without their parents.

Or with any other message if you like.

Edited by CruisesOnMyMind

You can have their sea pass cards flagged with a message not to allow them off the ship without their parents.

Or with any other message if you like.

Not meaning to hijack this thread, but have a similar question.

You said a sea pass card can be flagged. Would this also work for an adult?? We are taking my mother in law, who is just starting the early stages of dementia. While I don't think she would ever try to get off alone. I just want to be 100% sure that she can't. Several of the island we are planning things all together. But the one day we are staying onboard. If she would walk away to go to the restroom or something, want to make sure she is ok.

Also, can her card be flagged with our names and room numbers in case she is lost on the ship.

Again, she is in just the very first stages and plan to stay with her 24/7

My experience also

Same experience here! My son 15 is taller than me & looks older than he is. They asked him, who his parents were and then scanned my pass before they let him off the ship. Made this momma feel better. :)

Edited by BLAMBKY

You said a sea pass card can be flagged. Would this also work for an adult?? We are taking my mother in law, who is just starting the early stages of dementia. While I don't think she would ever try to get off alone. I just want to be 100% sure that she can't. Several of the island we are planning things all together. But the one day we are staying onboard. If she would walk away to go to the restroom or something, want to make sure she is ok.

Also, can her card be flagged with our names and room numbers in case she is lost on the ship.

Yes it would work for an adult. When we had a sea pass card flagged it was for the security at disembarkation just one day. I don't know if it works if the card was inserted at a cash machine at a bar or in the stores. . Also I don't know if you can flag it for through out the whole cruise or just for one event. I would think for the whole cruise. GS will be able to help you with this once on board.

Just thought to add....my husband goes first and I am the last w/kids sandwiched between. I always did this as they were little and I never dropped this habit. If both parents were in front & had already passed through I wonder if they would have kept him and called one of us back.

If I remember correctly, I believe when our children's cards were scanned when we got off the ship at port, they had a different 'bing' that sounded that alerted security to check for parents. And they did stop and ask each time. I liked that. Once they got older, the kids would comment how nice that the 'bing' would not draw attention to them anymore. :)

Just thought to add....my husband goes first and I am the last w/kids sandwiched between. I always did this as they were little and I never dropped this habit. If both parents were in front & had already passed through I wonder if they would have kept him and called one of us back.

Usually our kids are in front of us both, but I guess we are always talking so it would seem obvious we are all together. I honestly never gave it much thought until now.

Hi. My mom also has dementia, I know what you are going through. It is really important that someone is with her 24/7, dementia patients get disoriented in new environments. I also know this is not your case because yours is a family vacation and will probably have plenty of people to help with her, but read this link.... http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=5640

Hope you have a great vacation. I can't take my mom on cruises anymore but I have wonderful memories of our sailings together.

I don't know about other teens, but my sister and I went on our first cruise when we were 16 and 17, we were too afraid to leave the ship without our parents in a foreign place. I don't even think we ever thought about leaving the ship without our parents or trying to return to the ship without them, nor do I think my parents ever had to have a talk with us about leaving the ship without them, it was just common sense that it wouldn't be a really good idea.

And as a parent now and taking our 2 daughters on their first cruise in 2016 (they will only be 3 and 5), the thought of leaving them on the ship while we are in port is scary to me....what if something would happen, what if for some bizarre reason we missed the ship....

I know on my last cruise on the Oasis, I saw them not allowed kids off the ship, even though their parents were suppostly outside waiting for them. I dont know whatever happened to them kids though. But i know they did not allow them to get off the ship without their adults

Also; Them kids where probably anywhere from 12ish and up

Edited by trev71

We have had this happen before with our kids. They won't make you come back on but they will verify that you are standing waiting for them. We just had to "give the nod" that they were with us.