Celebrity, please change the menus

true45

I'm quite adventurous when it comes to food and will generally try most things, but agree. The Top Chef night was my only disaster in the MDR this summer on the Eclipse. It featured on the last night (IIRC) and proved to be poor from start to finish and made me wish I'd played safe and gone to the left hand side of the menu.

Would love to see a decent Curry with all the trimmings - a Chicken Tikka Masala featured on the lhs every few nights but I always find this dish a bit boring - would loves to have seen a decent Jalfrezi or Madras - particularly on the Eclipse summer cruises - so many brits you cannot go wrong with a decent Curry!

A few of us Americans love curry too!:D

And puddings. Those we're good on our 2011 cruise, but we're down to just one or two different kinds on our 2014 cruise. I love a good baked English pudding and I like the way Celebrity makes them. Not too mushy, but just right.

Edited by Chitown12562

I think these two posts might just sum it up best..... No matter what, they aren't going to please everyone.

Overall, we are not experienced cruisers, but we thought the food was good on our last Equinox trip.

Up until this last summer, my wife was the executive chef at a fancy hotel here in the Twin Cities (MN). That being said, she was extremely impressed with the quality of the food... Given the quantity that was being produced, along with the logistical challenges of being on a ship. At her hotel, they had semi's bringing in food 5-7 days a week, from multiple vendors each day. They were all staggered as to keep congestion down, maximize storage space, and provide fresh quality food.

Now when we look at a ship.... Everything has to be in port when they pull in. It all has to be packaged to get loaded, some cold, some frozen, some fresh. Which, speaking of fresh, is going to be a challenge on a long cruise. If a load of corn didn't make if down from IA for that late Oct sailing, then what? Not easy to just call in a backup order of 5 tons of fresh corn and have it on a dock the next day. Produce will most likely always be a challenge on a ship. It just isn't easy to keep it fresh long enough.

I guess overall, we can all want more variety everywhere we go, which is fine, but keep in mind feeding 3000 guests plus crew for 2 weeks, 2-3 meals a day, with limited resupply is a very massive undertaking. Not only cooking that quantity of food, but storing it and procuring it from reliable vendors with ample supplies is no small feat. I'd keep giving them your thoughts on change, but understand things don't change quickly in the world of extremely high production cooking.

Well said!

Would love to see a decent Curry with all the trimmings - a Chicken Tikka Masala featured on the lhs every few nights but I always find this dish a bit boring - would loves to have seen a decent Jalfrezi or Madras - particularly on the Eclipse summer cruises - so many brits you cannot go wrong with a decent Curry!

To quote an old movie about the Raj, "There is no such thing as a bad curry!"

This gives me an idea. I am going to go to a couple of my local restaurants and DEMAND they change there menu because I come frequently and am bored with what you have to offer. And since I come regularly my input is very valuable. Seems like it is time for some to try a different cruise line.

This gives me an idea. I am going to go to a couple of my local restaurants and DEMAND they change there menu because I come frequently and am bored with what you have to offer. And since I come regularly my input is very valuable. Seems like it is time for some to try a different cruise line.

LOL this is always my thought to people who are "tired" of the onboard menus after repeated visits. My local eateries do offer a daily special but that often remains stagnant week to week.

Bingo.

There was no demand

Rather a request

Sorry you are displeased with the thread

Participation is voluntary

oh since X is monitoring this thread ... please, please, please Yorkshire pudding should be served with the prime rib.

On Reflection 11-15-14 - we asked if we could have Yorkshire with the prime rib (it was on the day 1 menu). we were told it was not generally available on the caribean sailings.

Its not just the Brits who like a good Yorkshire pudding ... us Canadians like them too :D It's a nice added touch, if it could be offered.

You cannot compare being tired of a cruiseline menu to that of a local restaurant. No one (I'd guess) eats at the same restaurant 7 to 14 nights (or longer) in a row. We're new to X, but there isn't a whole lot different with X's MDR menu compared to what we've seen on other lines.

oh since X is monitoring this thread ... please, please, please Yorkshire pudding should be served with the prime rib.

On Reflection 11-15-14 - we asked if we could have Yorkshire with the prime rib (it was on the day 1 menu). we were told it was not generally available on the caribean sailings.

Its not just the Brits who like a good Yorkshire pudding ... us Canadians like them too :D It's a nice added touch, if it could be offered.

You cannot compare being tired of a cruiseline menu to that of a local restaurant. No one (I'd guess) eats at the same restaurant 7 to 14 nights (or longer) in a row. We're new to X, but there isn't a whole lot different with X's MDR menu compared to what we've seen on other lines.

I love a good pudding too and am neither Brit nor Canadian but love TV and books from both places [emoji1]

Celebrity is doing what any good business does -- listen to its clients and factor that into decisions

I haven't sailed on Celebrity in 7 years and am looking forward to our Asia Millennium cruise in 3 weeks. Although we are Elite Members over the past few years we have had the pleasure to sail on Azamara and Oceania and we are very spoiled. I don't have too many expectations for Millie and Celebrity so I won't be disappointed.

Thanks everyone for your comments and FYI.

Marion

There was no demand

Rather a request

Sorry you are displeased with the thread

Participation is voluntary

Displeased, no, you failed to the see sarcasm in my post. Others did. What you are asking takes a lot of planning and research. And when you are trying to feed 2000- 4000 people several times a day with varying ethnicity's, religions, country's, cultures, allergies, and general different food tastes it can not be done on a whim. When they serve this many people you CAN NOT expect gourmet dining, it is high end banquet food at best.

That being said, the new suite dining room may alter that a bit, but I will never experience it.

By the way I am not in restaurant management, (stupid factory worker, yeah), but I did stay in a Holiday Inn recently.

Edited by hawk/hornfan

Displeased, no, you failed to the see sarcasm in my post. Others did. What you are asking takes a lot of planning and research. And when you are trying to feed 2000- 4000 people several times a day with varying ethnicity's, religions, country's, cultures, allergies, and general different food tastes it can not be done on a whim. When they serve this many people you CAN NOT expect gourmet dining, it is high end banquet food at best.

That being said, the new suite dining room may alter that a bit, but I will never experience it.

By the way I am not in restaurant management, (stupid factory worker, yeah), but I did stay in a Holiday Inn recently.

I saw in your post what you wrote

You mischaracterized our suggestions and turned them into demands for gourmet food even now in this post

I recognize sarcasm but it was uncalled for no matter who else is on your corner

Happy sailings to you

Even though I have cruised Celebrity many times (elite plus) I try to change ship lines often. In the last two months I have sailed Princess and Oceania and will be sailing Celebrity in April. I don't understand sticking to one cruise line. Trying different lines and ships enables you to experience different ship architecture and design along with more variety in the way each line emphasizes different aspects of cruising.

On Holland America they distinguish between the short 1 to 3 week cruises and their Grand Voyages. I was amazed at the difference in the quality and variety of the food on my 64 day Grand Voyage. I asked the Maitre D' why it was so much better and the answer was that the food budget for Grand Voyages was much larger. Also, the ship is sailing to many different countries and the chef has more flexibility in the menu choices depending on what is available.

I still enjoy the huge ships in the mass cruise line category such as Celebrity, Princess and Holland America but I have been cutting back on shorter cruises and saving my money for longer cruises when I have the time. When Celebrity was new they offered wonderful cuisine supervised by Michel Roux. That was their claim to fame and was how they differentiated themselves from other lines. Those first ships were Horizon and Zenith (each 48,000 tons) which seemed HUGE at the time but which are now considered small ships. I don't expect the variety and quality of food on the newer very large ships that have so many more passengers to be of the same high standard. For that experience I look to lines that have smaller ships with longer itineraries and a higher staff to passenger ratio.

Even though I have cruised Celebrity many times (elite plus) I try to change ship lines often. In the last two months I have sailed Princess and Oceania and will be sailing Celebrity in April. I don't understand sticking to one cruise line. Trying different lines and ships enables you to experience different ship architecture and design along with more variety in the way each line emphasizes different aspects of cruising.

On Holland America they distinguish between the short 1 to 3 week cruises and their Grand Voyages. I was amazed at the difference in the quality and variety of the food on my 64 day Grand Voyage. I asked the Maitre D' why it was so much better and the answer was that the food budget for Grand Voyages was much larger. Also, the ship is sailing to many different countries and the chef has more flexibility in the menu choices depending on what is available.

I still enjoy the huge ships in the mass cruise line category such as Celebrity, Princess and Holland America but I have been cutting back on shorter cruises and saving my money for longer cruises when I have the time. When Celebrity was new they offered wonderful cuisine supervised by Michel Roux. That was their claim to fame and was how they differentiated themselves from other lines. Those first ships were Horizon and Zenith (each 48,000 tons) which seemed HUGE at the time but which are now considered small ships. I don't expect the variety and quality of food on the newer very large ships that have so many more passengers to be of the same high standard. For that experience I look to lines that have smaller ships with longer itineraries and a higher staff to passenger ratio.

You have good points

Perhaps after the next Celebrity sailing

We will try Holland America

We lived horizon and the food of roux on the solstice

[emoji568]

Just off the Infinity, 2 weeks, first time. Prior experience was on RCCL. Meat there was far too tender, almost mush. Meat on Celebrity was always properly cooked, very tasty. A bit tough, but better chewy than mushy. Though why we must eat meat from Florida with a itinerary around Argentina and the finest beef in the world is still a puzzlement. Supplier kickbacks?

Even though I have cruised Celebrity many times (elite plus) I try to change ship lines often. In the last two months I have sailed Princess and Oceania and will be sailing Celebrity in April. I don't understand sticking to one cruise line. For that experience I look to lines that have smaller ships with longer itineraries and a higher staff to passenger ratio.

A) if you cruise once a year, the loyalty benefits of sticking to the same cruise line are very significant.

B) small ships, longer itineraries generally = higher cost. On our upcoming TA on Silhouette, balconies are available at $749 for a 14 day cruise visiting Portugal, France, Belgium and the Netherlands. Can't do that on any small ship I've ever seen.

So I muddle along, never hungry, always find something to eat even if I'm not necessarily a fan of pork bellies, etc. As I get older, I have come to realize that unmet expectations = unhappiness, disappointment, and a ton of grousing here! We see it in posts every day. So if there's one thing we can do on Cruise Critic, it's to make expectations reasonable ("no, the entire ship is NOT nonsmoking!).

Sure, I'd like to see some new menu items, but it's not high on the list of things I'd like to see changed, and that may be because we only cruise once a year. . .

Personally, I look at the glass half full aspect of food. Mediocre food often equals eating less and weight loss.

Food on the Connie Holy Land cruise last October was just so-so in my opinion, even in Aqua so I ate only what i liked, which wasnt alot. Which led to a 7 pound weight loss when I got home.:D

So there ARE some advantages to boring food.

Its all about the company anyway, isn't it?

Personally, I look at the glass half full aspect of food. Mediocre food often equals eating less and weight loss.

Food on the Connie Holy Land cruise last October was just so-so in my opinion, even in Aqua so I ate only what i liked, which wasnt alot. Which led to a 7 pound weight loss when I got home.:D

So there ARE some advantages to boring food.

Its all about the company anyway, isn't it?

Unfortunately, when the food is very good, I'm happy and satisfied and when it is not, I emotionally eat which is usually things not good for me -- those P words like pasta, pizza & pastries [emoji509] [emoji492][emoji137]

Happy sailings

I think it's also about getting what we believe we are paying for...given that prices have risen.

I/ we cruise frequently, so we are probably more aware of and bothered by the never changing menus.

We just noticed a Tuesday special for a Caribbean cruise on the Reflection that we would have otherwise booked in years past.

We passed. Why? The old menus....we'll wait, and pay more to try Luminae in June hoping for better food...

I think it's also about getting what we believe we are paying for...given that prices have risen.

I/ we cruise frequently, so we are probably more aware of and bothered by the never changing menus.

We just noticed a Tuesday special for a Caribbean cruise on the Reflection that we would have otherwise booked in years past.

We passed. Why? The old menus....we'll wait, and pay more to try Luminae in June hoping for better food...

I get your point

Curious about luminae menu

Look forward to your review

Happy sailing

I also would like more vegetables and I loved the babas au rum on Royal, would love Yorkshire pudding. On our last transatlantic with Royal the chef was trying new menus and we loved it. We had British cheeses and pub food for starters. Next night it was French cuisine and we had to give our opinions. I don't know if they implemented the new menus but it was to be part of a taste testing group.

We liked the food on the Silouhette last summer but the deserts were average.

New to Celebrity (2nd cruise) so I really can't complain that the menus are old. But, after digging out of the excessive snow and bitter cold of this winter I really couldn't care what they feed me.

Counting down the days and I'll be happy with the menus provided.