Celebrity, please change the menus

true45

The only thing about serving ethnic dishes is that you need someone that knows how to cook them properly.

There are several things wrong with this statement!

1) If someone can't follow a recipe, they shouldn't be in the kitchen.

2) Only ethnic dishes need to be cooked properly?

3) Only ethnic people can cook ethnic dishes?

There are several things wrong with this statement!

1) If someone can't follow a recipe, they shouldn't be in the kitchen.

2) Only ethnic dishes need to be cooked properly?

3) Only ethnic people can cook ethnic dishes?

I believe that a great chef can cook any ethnic dish well. However, I have lived in the Middle East, Europe and several areas of the USA. Also, I have been to 63 countries in all area of the World.

As a native of Texas, I have found many cooks that cannot cook Mexican food the way it should be cooked. When I lived in Europe, I visited so called Mexican restaurants (more than a few). Sorry, but the German and Austrian restaurants that tried to cook authentic Mexican food just could not get it done.

Many Mexican restaurants in my home state of Georgia offer pretty fair Mexican food, but still tend to tone down the spicey nature of true Tex-Mex. I think they do this because the people here are not accustomed to true spicey Tex-Mex.

I have found the same results with Philippine cooks when I lived in the Middle East.

Further, I have had some pretty sad Greek and Lebanese food here in the USA that just didn't use the right spices. I have yet to have really good Arabic pastries like Baklava prepared with honey like they do in the Middle East. Good Moussaka is generally not available in the US unless you find a good GREEK restaurant. Also, Moussaka from the Middle East is different from Greek.

Many chain Italian restaurants like The Olive Garden in the USA offer Italian food that is different enough from true Italian food. The food may be good, I like the mushroom stuffed ravioli, but my people of Italian ancestry will tell you Olive Garden is not real Italian.

I could go on with more examples.

Yes, you can find a recipe and follow it, but different cultures use different cooking oils and techniques. Most oriental cooking is done in a wok or grilled, baking is difficult and the results can be so so.

I agree with the above posts....but I dread the thought of any change at this time because it would likely be a cost reduction dressed in some marketing rhetoric. Just a friendly reminder that Change is not always positive......

Sent from my iPad using Forums

As those of us in the USA have learned

My goodness.

The ice cream is too cold.

My carrots are too Orange

My egg yolk is too yellow

My water is too wet.

Are we spoiled much? There are so many options in the MDR it is ridiculous. You can order any combination of anything. Take. A protein from one, starch from another, vegetables from another. Order a double salad and add a chicken breast. Meals are being made for over 2000 guests. How many options can they print on a menu?

Then - imagine how some of you may react if a "special" was sold out? Good grief.

Sent from my Arc using Forums mobile app

You'll all be getting your wish! Book a suite and you'll get the new separate dining room especially for suite passengers. I'll bet they get a revamped menu.

For the others, it's an easy solution. Tired of the menu? Try another restaurant - in this case, that means another cruise line.

My goodness.

My water is too wet.

Are we spoiled much? There are so many options in the MDR it is ridiculous. You can order any combination of anything. Take. A protein from one, starch from another, vegetables from another. Order a double salad and add a chicken breast. Meals are being made for over 2000 guests. How many options can they print on a menu?

Then - imagine how some of you may react if a "special" was sold out? Good grief.

For those of us who cruise once or twice a year on Celebrity who truly celebrate cuisine as part of our holiday from everyday tasks, having the same unadventurous repetitive menus for years on every ship in the fleet is boring. We are suggesting things we would like and I find the opinions interesting.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Just off the Connie this morning, and rode the elevator with the Executive Chef. DH asked when they would be changing the menus. His reply was that their current strategy is to change out a couple of items at a time, because it takes 18 months to implement a new item due to sourcing and kitchen procedures.

That seemed like a long time to me, but we heard it from the big guy himself!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Just off the Connie this morning, and rode the elevator with the Executive Chef. DH asked when they would be changing the menus. His reply was that their current strategy is to change out a couple of items at a time, because it takes 18 months to implement a new item due to sourcing and kitchen procedures.

That seemed like a long time to me, but we heard it from the big guy himself!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Thanks for asking the ?

Seems like a very long time to me too

For the others, it's an easy solution. Tired of the menu? Try another restaurant - in this case, that means another cruise line.

Yet, I would think it's in Celebrity's financial interest to keep it's more frequent cruisers/ best customers happy and loyal.

Incentivizing us to migrate to their competition because they won't change and update their menus is just plain bad for business.

The specialty restaurants especially . They charge for these venues. The menus haven't changed in any meaningful way in over five years! What land based restaurant could survive and draw customers with that practice and attitude.

I am one of those frequent Celebrity cruisers that is just plain bored with the never changing menus...I've booked other cruiselines, reluctantly as a result.

Yet, I would think it's in Celebrity's financial interest to keep it's more frequent cruisers/ best customers happy and loyal.

Incentivizing us to migrate to their competition because they won't change and update their menus is just plain bad for business.

The specialty restaurants especially . They charge for these venues. The menus haven't changed in any meaningful way in over five years! What land based restaurant could survive and draw customers with that practice and attitude.

I am one of those frequent Celebrity cruisers that is just plain bored with the never changing menus...I've booked other cruiselines, reluctantly as a result.

I too have tried other cruiselines in the past couple of years

Disney was great for grandkids but I was not impressed with the others for various reasons

Celebrity is still my favorite

We have always liked the Celebrity menus, but have noticed a decline in the quality, the last couple of years. We went on a back-to back-and we were asked how they could improve our experience, for the second cruise. They provided us with all of the food that we recommended, during the second cruise. It is my opinion that they are intentionally providing less quality in the main dining room,to encourage specialty dining. However; they will try to grant your wishes, if you ask. We asked for fan-tail shrimp and they provided it for us, the next evening. We asked for carrot cake and they provided it. The lobster tails were only 3 ounces, so we asked for two, each. I believe that they really try to please frequent cruisers.

The lobster tails were only 3 ounces, so we asked for two, each. I believe that they really try to please frequent cruisers.

This reminds me of a recent experience in Tuscan Grill.

The hostess asked us how we liked dinner , we mentioned that the steak was a really thin cut.

She replied that they changed vendors but we could order two and stack them. Swear to G.

For $40-50 you can get better quality cuts of meat in the premium restaurants. Celebrity like every other cruise line push their upscale restaurants. How do you get people to eat at the extra cost restaurants? You lower the quality and quantity of the food served in the MDR. I can tell you that HAL had serious cutbacks in food offered on two cruises we took in 2013. Now as far as Celebrity making money, have you checked the price per share of RCL stock? It's nearly doubled in the last year. Which means the company is worth twice as much as it did last year. As most everyone knows it's not the cost of the cruise they make money on, it's getting you to spend money on their ship while on your cruise that does.

I know this probably sounds to some like complaining but it's truly intended to offer Celebrity's new CEO some feedback.

I'm not a particularly great chef and often do depend on my repertoire of dishes that my family must be tired of by now. Luckily for us, my daughter has gotten interested in cooking in the last year and once or twice a week, tries a new recipe which delights all of us. It's amazing how much more fun dinner is when you are trying a new dish!

Therefore, I agree with the posters who believe a change in the menus would be well received. After 2 long Med/Adriatic cruises and a TA in the last 3 years, I was a bit bored with our 7-day Caribbean experience in Blu. The excitement of seeing new menus and trying new dishes was somewhat gone. In fact, we actually ate in the MDR 3 times to get a variety of choices.

Unbelievably, I'm not looking forward to Blu for 15 nights on our upcoming Panama Canal cruise. There is something wrong with this picture because I loved the atmosphere and service in Blu. So not to complain but to suggest, I think this thread is dead on.

I am not a Chef but have a good understanding about cooking and combination of ingredients, along with an analytical view of the food I am eating, all part of the pleasure when I am dining out, my taste buds recognise and identify the flavours. As a result of this I am aware of the ethos behind Celebrity Catering and ordering. The same limited ingredients are used and assembled in different ways, from my earlier Mousakka example where the base ingredients of ground beef is cooked and flavoured the same for all recipes with a stab at the additional spices to change the dish, sometimes getting nowhere near the flavour mark but still resembling the previous incarnation of the ground beef dish, which could have been Shepherds Pie. By Celebrity restricting the variety of food ordered this in turns keeps the cost down but results in very repetitive food. Has anyone wondered why for example when such wonderful fruit is grown in America that in the buffet fruit salad consists of Melon of a variety of hues along with Pineapple and Orange, other fruits appear in smaller quantities but Melon is the staple. What happened to fresh Mango, Plums, Peaches, Apricots etc, why do they never appear or do so in a very limited fashion! There does not appear to be any executive chef quality control of cooking where a recipe that does not resemble the native dish or in some cases on my last two cruises, artifical gravy flavoured not only meat entrees but appeared in pasta dishes as well, Carbonarra that bore absolutely no resemblance to the native dish. This is why customers are unhappy, there should be some quality control of what is being sent out not feed the masses anything to keep them quiet because what results is revolt!

Edited by tine-tine

I know this probably sounds to some like complaining but it's truly intended to offer Celebrity's new CEO some feedback.

I'm not a particularly great chef and often do depend on my repertoire of dishes that my family must be tired of by now. Luckily for us, my daughter has gotten interested in cooking in the last year and once or twice a week, tries a new recipe which delights all of us. It's amazing how much more fun dinner is when you are trying a new dish!

Therefore, I agree with the posters who believe a change in the menus would be well received. After 2 long Med/Adriatic cruises and a TA in the last 3 years, I was a bit bored with our 7-day Caribbean experience in Blu. The excitement of seeing new menus and trying new dishes was somewhat gone. In fact, we actually ate in the MDR 3 times to get a variety of choices.

Unbelievably, I'm not looking forward to Blu for 15 nights on our upcoming Panama Canal cruise. There is something wrong with this picture because I loved the atmosphere and service in Blu. So not to complain but to suggest, I think this thread is dead on.

I am sure you are aware that you can get MDR food in Blu. We ordered escargot and French onion soup almost every night of our 28 day cruise on the Solstice and it was not on the Blu menu but was on the MDR. We did have a couple of bad meals in Blu but that was out of 28 days.

I am not a Chef but have a good understanding about cooking and combination of ingredients, along with an analytical view of the food I am eating, all part of the pleasure when I am dining out, my taste buds recognise and identify the flavours. As a result of this I am aware of the ethos behind Celebrity Catering and ordering. The same limited ingredients are used and assembled in different ways, from my earlier Mousakka example where the base ingredients of ground beef is cooked and flavoured the same for all recipes with a stab at the additional spices to change the dish, sometimes getting nowhere near the flavour mark but still resembling the previous incarnation of the ground beef dish, which could have been Shepherds Pie. By Celebrity restricting the variety of food ordered this in turns keeps the cost down but results in very repetitive food. Has anyone wondered why for example when such wonderful fruit is grown in America that in the buffet fruit salad consists of Melon of a variety of hues along with Pineapple and Orange, other fruits appear in smaller quantities but Melon is the staple. What happened to fresh Mango, Plums, Peaches, Apricots etc, why do they never appear or do so in a very limited fashion! There does not appear to be any executive chef quality control of cooking where a recipe that does not resemble the native dish or in some cases on my last two cruises, artifical gravy flavoured not only meat entrees but appeared in pasta dishes as well, Carbonarra that bore absolutely no resemblance to the native dish. This is why customers are unhappy, there should be some quality control of what is being sent out not feed the masses anything to keep them quiet because what results is revolt!

Well maybe when you take your cruises (January) the fruits you listed are not in season?

I agree with the above posts....but I dread the thought of any change at this time because it would likely be a cost reduction dressed in some marketing rhetoric. Just a friendly reminder that Change is not always positive......

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Not to mention, all the complaints from those that liked the old menus or liked something that was deleted so a new item could replace it. Change is not a good thing always! Edited by NLH Arizona

I am sure you are aware that you can get MDR food in Blu.

No....

Blu has several off the menu as well as every day items that they will serve on request. Those include onion soup, escargot, caesar salad and some others. However, as a general rule, they won't get you something that's on the MDR menu. Yes, there is the occasional exception for whatever reason, but they are not staffed to have someone run over to the MDR kitchen to get your desired dish. If you are in Blu, you have to work with their menu and their offerings.

Regarding Blu

On silhouette a couple of weeks ago the maitre d told me that only starters like appetizers soup & salads were available from the main dining room, no entrees.

My goodness.

My water is too wet.

In the past I might have agreed with you, but my last two cruises were a killer. I don't think anyone is complaining inappropriately as you suggest - I hope tongue in cheek. The food has decreased in quality. Steaks vary from Applebee's quality to inedible, and that is not what one should expect on a cruise ship. I would rather have 4 oz of really good steak than 12 oz of something inedible.

I did get bored with the menu because although you have a lot of choices, I've tried too many of the dishes and found them wanting. Someone said they have not changed the menu in years. I just looked at a few Feb 2012 menus and they were quite different from the menus last month. The Feb 2012 menus were Jacques Van Staden menus. The menus must have changed after Feb 2012, and since then I've been on 6 Celebrity cruises so it just seemed that it had been years.

The execution of many dishes falls far short of the descriptions. Examples: Lamb Shank with Moroccan spices, couscous and vegetables and Harissa.

I ordered this dish on Summit because I enjoy Moroccan spices and I've made my own Harissa. I like couscous (the Israeli couscous vegetarian dish is often excellent) and the vegetables typically served with Moroccan dishes - carrots, sweet potato, acorn/butternut squash or yellow turnip/swede, cabbage, zucchini with chickpeas (I was imagining a little of each vegetable leaned up against the couscous with the meat in the middle and sauce to pour over everything, and a little bit of something really spicy to add to the dish). This dish was tasteless and overcooked. There were no spices of any kind, too few vegetables and/or chickpeas, the lamb was dreadful and tasted old - like cooked, frozen, thawed and cooked some more, there was too much of it and when I asked my waiter "where is the Harissa?" he couldn't answer, and went back to the kitchen and came back with some sort of generic hot sauce that wasn't harissa. On Equinox, I decided to give it one more try and I'm glad I did. It was good, though still far from well-seasoned, and the asst waiter had some harissa to offer on the side. Granted, the harissa was about as bland as one can get and still call it harissa, but it was much more tasty than on Summit. If the kitchens are all supposed to follow the same menu, why was this? When I asked our head waiter on Summit why there were no Moroccan spices in the dish clearly labeled Moroccan - his answer: "Some people don't like Moroccan spices." Well some people are vegetarian, so should we leave out the meat in all the meat dishes?

I think the head chef on Summit was either not very competent, or he arrogantly thought we wouldn't really like the spices, and he wasn't going to waste them.

Another dish that I wish were properly prepared is the carbonara - it isn't really carbonara, it is a pasta alfredo with an egg on top. True carbonara is delicious, not too rich, and has no cream. But that is me being pedantic and Italian (though not by birth). And so it goes.

There are far too few vegetables. Yes, you can order more, but you shouldn't have to read between the lines. If a dish says it is served with green beans and roasted potatoes, there should be more than 2 green beans and one potato. I would happily halve the size of the meat on the plate if 1) it were improved in quality and 2) I got more vegetables and sauce. I think someone mentioned the 1/3 idea. I would like that very much. If need be, people could be told by their waiter that they can order double something, and then the kitchen would have to make that possible.

I've seen mention of printing costs being a limiting factor - I think Celebrity could go the way of many many restaurants, and self-print. It isn't really that costly and would go far toward making guests happy. It might give some latitude to the chefs to prepare food that is tasty or if Celebrity must have a limited number of dishes that the chefs must prepare (for some reason beyond our understanding), then give them the ability to mix up the selections for the day. There is one menu where there is absolutely no dish that appeals to me or my husband - and I don't particularly like the steak, salmon or chicken on the left side, as they are intentionally rather plain so that people who need or want plain food can have something good. I'm not a picky eater, I'm someone who loves to cook at home and someone who likes seasoning and variety and spices and heat on occasion. If they can't make the food well-spiced, they should at least serve a sauce that is passed, like they do with mint sauce (well they serve that awfully sweet green jelly, not mint sauce) or horseradish.

I'd really love to sit down for an hour or so with the Miami person who plans the meals and discuss this from a food-educated diner's perspective. You can please everyone. It is possible. But you have to give the chef room and reason to shine. Cutting quantity rather than quality would be OK, and I approve of those cost cutting methods. Our cruises haven't increased as greatly in price as the economy, and I'm sure some of that is reasonable cost cutting.

Well, I've rambled enough. Just my opinion. I've been a very loyal Celebrity cruiser, but we are cancelling our next two cruises (I've taken them off my signature already), and are waiting until 2016 for another one. This will give Celebrity time to revamp the menu and perhaps I'll be eager to board the Silhouette when the time comes.

I've also decided to edit this post and write to the head office. I shouldn't be complaining on Cruise Critic, if I'm not willing to speak to the source.

Beth

I tend to agree with most of the people on this forum, especially about Blu. My partner and I have done AQ each time we cruised and we are debating on whether or not it's even worth it with the menu's being the same each time we go. I understand they probably have purchasing agreements with vendors and whatnot, but you think they would have people who would breathe some new life into the Blu menu, on a yearly or year and half basis. The Pecan Crusted (Duck?) had to be the worst thing I ever ate - they can start by ditching that. From what I have been reading about the new Suite Dining Room, my understanding is that the menu is going to be getting changed a lot, I hope they can do the same in Blu.:cool:

On cruises I make an effort to order things that we don't normally cook at home. I especially hope for a wide variety of seafood. I also love good barbecue. Steak is my fail-safe when I can't find anything on the menu that excites me. A successful cruise is one where I eat little to no beef, although I really do enjoy a good steak. On my 14 day Eclipse sailing last April there was a great variety of seafood, but sadly no barbecue (first cruise ever with without any barbecued chicken or pork), and I ate little beef. On my Reflection sailing last November the chef seemed to have authored 288 ways to cook salmon and I saw little other seafood (even the fish at the buffet was just called "fish"). I ate a lot of steak. While I recognize that many varieties of fish are more costly than meat, fish can be prepared in a wide variety of ways that would really help to diversify the menu.

When I read the menu, I read all the vegetables that are with all the entrees. If I like more than one, I ask for it as a side dish. Or, I will ask for double veggies with my entree.

They want to please us; just order the extras you want.

Thank you! This is exactly what we did. It's really not hard folks..I think it begins by asking!