Oceania and Paul Gauguin

mediapro

There have been many threads on this

Anyone who has been on the pg will tell you might be the best cruise they have ever taken. It is a purpose built ship for that area with fewer than 400 passengers. The entire ambiance screams French Polynesia. It has its own water deck from which you can snorkel or water ski. It has the fabulous gauguines. It is special

Rare to find someone who has sailed on pg and Oceania in that area

Search the Oceania and pg boards for more info

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

PG is a wonderful cruise experience - compared to O it is more inclusive and offers full support of SCUBA from the ship to see one of the worlds most beautiful underwater worlds. We have been on 5 PG cruises and are planning to go back. FP is spectacular. BTW, we are also O groupies - currently booked on Nautica to do CPT-SIN later this year.

Be prepared - entering and leaving Papeete is no picnic!

PG is a wonderful cruise experience - compared to O it is more inclusive and offers full support of SCUBA from the ship to see one of the worlds most beautiful underwater worlds. We have been on 5 PG cruises and are planning to go back. FP is spectacular. BTW, we are also O groupies - currently booked on Nautica to do CPT-SIN later this year.

Be prepared - entering and leaving Papeete is no picnic!

Could you expand on your Papeete comment? We're headed there next year as the terminus of the Valparaiso - Papeete cruise. Thanks.

Could you expand on your Papeete comment? We're headed there next year as the terminus of the Valparaiso - Papeete cruise. Thanks.

Well I can attest that the airport in Papeete is, uh, primitive I guess the word is. If you're flying out of Faa'a airport, lines are long and it's usually hot and muggy (most of the airport is open to the outdoors). There's little relief from this in the departure lounge, unless you're flying business class (and the biz lounge is barely adequate as such.)

Flying in is a bit better, although immigration lines are often long, then you have to wait for your luggage (last time we did carry-on only and it was a breeze.)

And btw, I concur with the comments about the Paul Gauguin. It is a terrific experience, and one that I do not believe Oceania can match (and I've been on Riviera, albeit not in FP.)

Edited by Wendy The Wanderer

I loved the Paul Gauguin. I sailed on it when it was still a Regent ship.

Unfortunately ( for me ) the fares have increased substantially recently.

I too have been looking at Oceania's Papeete to Sydney cruise. I have written in a thread that I started why I haven't booked that cruise. Unfortunately I haven't found an affordable (~$1000) per night alternative cruise.

I was in FP on board Marina last March, here is how I see the PG & Marina difference.

If you are sailing this itinerary to enjoy the FP culture, water activities-snorkeling, diving, the PG is right for you.

If you are sailing this itinerary to enjoy the beautiful Marina & its amenities (ship is the destination) and only wanting to sight see & are not fond of water activities, the Marina is right for you.

I found that I greatly enjoyed the water activities. If I were to go again I would choose the PG for it's water deck and support staff for diving.

The PPT comment relates to the awful flight arrival & departure times and the connections & waiting involved. For check-in, you line up outdoors in the heat and humidity.

The PG was built for French Polynesia and gives what we feel is the best experience in that area. Although we have not sailed Oceania in Tahiti, it is obvious to me that the ship is just too large (I'm thinking of the times when the PG drops anchor off a small island and tenders guests in. I wonder if PG's private island could even fit the amount of passengers and crew that are on the Marina.

Also agree with the difficulty getting into and out of Papeete.

If you are sailing this itinerary to enjoy the FP culture, water activities-snorkeling, diving, the PG is right for you.

If you are sailing this itinerary to enjoy the beautiful Marina & its amenities (ship is the destination) and only wanting to sight see & are not fond of water activities, the Marina is right for you.

I tend to agree with this. A further example is that on the PG the excursions are part of the experience. Oceania in general doesn't do well on excursions, and many, perhaps most, passengers make their own arrangements. In FP this is problematic: there aren't that many tour operators and the PG tends to have them all locked up. So if you want to immerse yourself in the Polynesian culture and breathtaking scenery, Oceania will likely disappoint you.

Further, based on my most recent PG cruise in September no other ship can compare to the level of service and attention to detail by the staff of that ship.

That said, I know people who have been to FP on Oceania, plus have read the reports of others on this board: they are pretty well all in agreement that the cruises were great.

Just to help you assess my opinions: Been on the PG 5 times, so clearly love the ship. Only been on the Riviera once, but not in FP. I've been on Regent's Navigator and Voyager a few times in various places, plus once on the dear departed Diamond. So I'm not the most experienced cruiser on these boards, but not the least experienced either.

Anyone out there that can give me their take on the differences between Oceania in French Polynesia and the Paul Gauguin?
What really sets Paul Gauguin apart from Oceania is their intense focus on all things Polynesian. The ship interior decor is understated with Polynesian artwork throughout. Menus are crafted to showcase ingredients which are sourced locally from the islands. Multi-talented Tahitian host(esses) serve as cruise staff and are the living soul of Paul Gauguin. The ship has resident lecturers and naturalists who are experts on the archaeology, culture and geology of the area. An on-board marina is staffed by dive masters who are intimately familiar with the local waters. All of this adds up to an immersive and luxurious French Polynesian experience that Oceania simply cannot provide. If that's what you want, there is no better choice than Paul Gauguin.

Cannot comment on PG never tried them. However flew in to Papeete in the evening 18/04/2013 to board the Marina, no difficulties a bit of a wait at customs, but very quick boarding just walked on board. The trip was great and we particularly enjoyed Easter Island, truly an experience. They had local Easter Island Pilots on board so we would be able to get the tenders ashore-- it was a rough entrance! Unfortunately could not stop at Pitcairn Island too windy. Certainly a trip we will always remember.

Weather can be rainy in Jan but it was hot and sunny in April.