TA or book directly?

kkbrig

Just wondering the pros and cons of either booking with a TA or calling Princess directly? I need to book 3 rooms together so can't do it myself online. If I use a TA, it will be the one at my local AAA. What do most people do?

Thanks

I used to book my own, but my aunt found a really good local TA that does a high volume of Princess bookings. She gives us extra shipboard credit and gifts and sometimes can discount the price too. Love her, but unfortunately we can't name TA's here.

Benefit of using a TA:

First of all, you do not want to use a TA that charges more than Princess would or charges fees for any changes you make to the booking including cancellation (other than Princess fees).

o There are discount TAs who will save you money off the Princess price

o Both discount and non-discount TAs will often include onboard amenities such as OBC, wine, etc. which would be in addition to anything Princess might offer with the booking.

o If there is a problem with Princess, the TA will be your advocate.

Benefit of booking directly with Princess:

o You can speak to Princess directly about your booking without having to go through your TA instead.

If it is a 7 day or longer cruise use a TA for sure.....but only if they can get SUBSTANCIAL OBC.....like in te 10% of your total cost....there are some sevices out there where you can give your cruise info and several TA's will tell you what they will offer.

Just wondering the pros and cons of either booking with a TA or calling Princess directly? I need to book 3 rooms together so can't do it myself online. If I use a TA, it will be the one at my local AAA. What do most people do?

Thanks

Princess allows TAs to discount fares but not all choose to do so. There are some high volume TAs who get preferred pricing to start with; they offer clients group rates and then they rebate a portion of their commission. They are not allowed to advertise or promote lower fares but if you request a quote, they can. You can save 10-20%, depending on the cruise, cabin category and when you book.

I personally would never use a TA that gives a substantial OBC rather than a discounted fare. Princess allows you to combine OBC from a variety of sources so often, you don't need or want a lot of extra OBC. I'd much rather pay a lot less up front and get some OBC and perks from the TA.

My TA said tha any OBC I don't use will be refunded in check form so it really does not make a difference to me.

Princess allows TAs to discount fares but not all choose to do so. There are some high volume TAs who get preferred pricing to start with; they offer clients group rates and then they rebate a portion of their commission. They are not allowed to advertise or promote lower fares but if you request a quote, they can. You can save 10-20%, depending on the cruise, cabin category and when you book.

I personally would never use a TA that gives a substantial OBC rather than a discounted fare. Princess allows you to combine OBC from a variety of sources so often, you don't need or want a lot of extra OBC. I'd much rather pay a lot less up front and get some OBC and perks from the TA.

My TA said tha any OBC I don't use will be refunded in check form so it really does not make a difference to me.

Some OBC is refundable, some is not.

Not refundable:

o Travel agent OBC from amenity points

o OBC given by Princess as a booking incentive

o Stockholder OBC

o FCC OBC

Refundable:

o Military OBC

o Princess Visa credit card OBC

o Captain's Circle Loyalty OBC

the only other con I could think of is that you cannot make payments on your cruise fare through the princess website, you must make them through your TA. Its only a minor inconvenience, esp if you are splitting the fares between a couple cards.

Also my TA makes final payment a week before Princess just to make sure everything goes through as she does not want it to be auto cancelled on actual final payment day. But I guess thats a good safety net.

But Ive said it before and will say it again, I will never go back to not using a TA.

I book online directly through the princess website and then have the TA take it over, that way I can pick the cabin I want if its one I think may sell out.

Well, As I have it in writing......and she offered to run it as OBC or cut a check......i think I am OK......And yes...i am aware of the various OBC you have outlined and the refundability...

Some OBC is refundable, some is not.

Not refundable:

o Travel agent OBC from amenity points

o OBC given by Princess as a booking incentive

o Stockholder OBC

o FCC OBC

Refundable:

o Military OBC

o Princess Visa credit card OBC

o Captain's Circle Loyalty OBC

If you are booking three rooms together, it is really important to mark them with "No upgrades" whether you book through Princess or TA.You absolutley do not want any one room to be moved.

Some TA's charge for rebooking if the price goes down before your final payment but Princess never charges for price adjustment. However, you have to monitor it constantly,

I used to use a TA only but recently I booked through Princess. Changed the booking for lower fares twice. Right before final payment, I switched over to a TA for substantial OBC and kept my lower fare. The price I paid was the lowest offered, even now after final payment. But, it was work.

If you get a TA that will monitor it for you and not charge for the price change, then that's good. But I haven't found one yet, so I have to do the work.

In either case, you should go online and find the rooms you want. You don't want to be near noisy venues. Cruise Critic memebers have a lot of experience and knowledge when it comes to selecting cabins. Ask. You will get a lot of good advice. :)

The T/A may definitely provide you with a discount off the Princess price and/or OBC/Stateroom Credit while also handling your booking for you.This can be inconvienent if your daily check on your cruise cost has a reduction and you telephone your T/A and they are unavailable (assisting new client) so then you send an email to the T/A in hopes that they receive such in time so that they can contact Princess on your behalf so they can request discount and then wait for T/A to call you back with confirmation or you call them back to make sure they received your message!

This is why I book my own cruises now unless they are a significant cost where a T/A discount is worth while.:)