84 yrs old died after being put off a cruise.

morecambe13

Bad story in the Daily mail today.84 years old lady died after being put off a P&O cruise with little help according to the paper. Not good reading for P&O.

What are the details ? I am sure it isn't as bad as your post would have us believe. Was a person of 84 years of age really travelling on their own ?

What are the details ? I am sure it isn't as bad as your post would have us believe. Was a person of 84 years of age really travelling on their own ?

Hi no she was not on her own family were with her see the story in mail online half way down first page.

Bad story in the Daily mail today.84 years old lady died after being put off a P&O cruise with little help according to the paper. Not good reading for P&O.

Not a bad story it's the Mail and sensationalist rubbish.

The company, any cruise company are in difficulty when someone is Ill they have to disembark the passenger. The person who has the final say is the Dr. As he is personally responsible.

If they were not transferred and the worst happened then the law suits would be flying.

For the family this is a great tragedy for the rag that is the Daily Mail to publish the way they have is disgusting

The Daily Wail does anybody believe what is reported in that trash last year they did another sensationalised story about P&O cruises and accompanied it with a photo of a P&O ferry, they never let the facts get in the way of a story.

Edited by majortom10

The company, any cruise company are in difficulty when someone is Ill they have to disembark the passenger. The person who has the final say is the Dr. As he is personally responsible.

If they were not transferred and the worst happened then the law suits would be flying.

For the family this is a great tragedy for the rag that is the Daily Mail to publish the way they have is disgusting

Read the story. They even cancelled their hotel and flight home! Ventura currently has pax falling ill!Brilliant customer service!!!

Read the Mail, occasionally, as an alternative to the left wing rags such as the Guardian, the Mirror etc.

and the increasingly left wing Torygraph.

The MSM is not to be trusted to get it right on anything,all my info comes from the Blogsphere i.e Breibart, Guido Fawkes, Bishop Hill, His Grace Reloaded etc.

Why are people falling ill on the Ventura at present? Going on her next week!

Some friends of ours posted on Facebook yesterday that they are suffering from sore throats and blocked noses etc. probably an extension of the bugs that have being around in The UK since Christmas and travelled to the Caribbean via pax on aircraft, which are not the healthiest method of transporting 300 + pax for 8 hours or so.

I read the story and agree that the Mail has emphasised the worst aspects, as is traditional with all papers.

However I am concerned that after treating this lady for several days and with only 3 days left till San Francisco, the family's departure port, the P&O doctor saw fit to disemark this passenmger in Cabo San Lucas, which despite being a popular tourist resort still has basically a third world health service.

If it had been my wife I would certainly have been demanding they allowed her to stay on until San Francisco, as I am sure you would have been Dai.

Terrible for the lady and her family and I'm at a loss to understand why P&O cancelled her flight home but the ship doctor was right when he said they were a "hotel not a hospital".
Agree Sue. I presume this was part of a world cruise, so did P&O book the package and hotel too? ( I threw the relevant brochure away when I got the new one :o) In any case, surely they could have phoned the family and asked before they cancelled :confused:

I read the story and agree that the Mail has emphasised the worst aspects, as is traditional with all papers.

However I am concerned that after treating this lady for several days and with only 3 days left till San Francisco, the family's departure port, the P&O doctor saw fit to disemark this passenmger in Cabo San Lucas, which despite being a popular tourist resort still has basically a third world health service.

If it had been my wife I would certainly have been demanding they allowed her to stay on until San Francisco, as I am sure you would have been Dai.

Absolutely.The decision to do stinks!!

Doctor should be named and shamed because he could be coming to an NHS hospital near you!!!

There would be no benefit in the ship off loading a passenger who they thought would need no further medical assistance or if they thought the passenger just needed basic care and they could earn a lot of revenue from that.

I imagine the following days were at sea and if the passenger had taken a turn for the worse and needed airlifting off the ship then then they would probably be suing P&O for not disembarking them.

A ships Doctor is very limited in what they can perform onboard and it is probably company procedure to disembark when care is (or is likely to become) out of the Doctors remit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So sad P.O. put the lady of the ship.

Was she too ill to stay on board until the ship docked in San Francisco? Seems like many on board had the cough as well.

And, just curious, what happens when a PAX dies on board?

Edited by Kingofcool1947

It all seems a bit odd to me and I can't help feeling there is more to this story than we know. I can't believe a company like P&O would behave in such a manner. Surely they would realise that there would be a load of adverse publicity following the article?

It all seems a bit odd to me and I can't help feeling there is more to this story than we know. I can't believe a company like P&O would behave in such a manner. Surely they would realise that there would be a load of adverse publicity following the article?

Many passengers are ill onboard, treated and carry on with their cruise - that is the norm.

We have to presume the ships Dr thought there was a good chance of this poor lady's health deteriorating to such a level that land based care would be required.

In these cases I believe it is better to err on the side of caution and offload.

Airlines do the same, they would offload without hesitation rather than carry a passenger across the Atlantic who may worsen on the flight as little can be done at 38,000 ft.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+1.

It's very sad that the poor lady should have passed away and I can understand the family being upset but I am sure that the doctor made the correct decision.

Unfortunately often relatives are slightly unreasonable when grieving and look for someone to blame. In this case perhaps they are only blaming the company because they were in unfamiliar territory (literaly) and P&O would not go along with their wishes which would have been more convenient to them rather than being realistic.

IF MY MEMORY SERVE,S ME WELL I CAN REMEMBER SERVING ON CRUISE SHIP RML ANDES IN THE CARIBBEAN WE HAD TWO DEATH,S AT SEA THE SHIP WOULD STOP I THINK IT WAS A SUNDAY, AND YOU COULD HEAR THE PLOP :eek: I WAS TOLD IT WAS DONE PROPERLY IE PLUGED AND WEIGHTED :eek: AS THE SHIP DID NOT HAVE THE FACILITY,S TO KEEP THE PERSON,S IN THE FREEZER BACK TO THE UK. GETTING OF THIS SUBJECT THE OCEANA LOOK,S NICE WITH HER BLUE STACK AND HER UNION FLAG ON THE BOW,S . MORE PROBLEM,S WITH BOUDICCA TELL YOU LATER, IE NO HEATING ON THE SHIP.