CAPE LIBERTY 411 (and NYC too) Version 4!!

megr1125

Don't have regrets about the Hampton Inn. It would take you at least an hour to get just to downtown Manhattan and another half hour to get to midtown.

By staying at Newark Airport you have the option of doing a big circle - train to midtown, subway downtown, and PATH back to Newark Penn Station and train back to the airport.

But, the Hapton Inn websites says they have a free shuttle to the ferry. Would that have not been more convenient and less time?

But, the Hapton Inn websites says they have a free shuttle to the ferry. Would that have not been more convenient and less time?

Likely more, not less, time to midtown, and likely not less to downtown...and not more convenient if you have to wait for their shuttle to be available to take you to the ferry.

Edited by njhorseman

Unfortunately the Best Western is not a hotel that we generally recommend, particularly for leaving a car while on a cruise. It's the only place where cruisers have reported incidents like car vandalism.

Have you considered the Ramada on Trinityreservations.com? For your date they are offering a room for up to 4 people, 21 days parking, and round trip port transportation for 4 people for $185 tax included. Many cruisers have used this offering and been very satisfied.

Are there any recommended routes to take to get to the port when driving in from the west, or is it as easy as taking i-78 to sr 440?

Here are the directions from the NJ Turnpike extension I78.

Directions from NJ Turnpike Exit 14A into Cape Liberty

Please print out my directions. Others have followed them successfully. The signage is poor. When you come through the toll plaza there are lots of choices and you have to make a quick decision as to where you are going. For a first timer there's not time to stop and try to spot the correct little sign and I'm not sure the names of all the streets are clearly marked. GPS is notoriously bad in this area. After you pay your toll you go straight across the toll plaza and get on a 2 lane ramp that goes up and curves left. This is hard to miss. On the ramp you stay on the right and make the first right, stay to the right and make another right. You will come to the light at route 440 where you will make a left, stay left, and make a left at the first light onto Goldsborough Drive. Route 440 is a four lane divided highway. You can only turn left at a traffic light - going south the first light is now at Goldsborough Drive. The left turn into the port used to be at Port Terminal Blvd (and it still is coming the other way), but they shut down that turn fairly recently and made Goldsborough Drive the main port access road coming from the north. Goldsborough Drive will merge with Port Terminal Blvd. You will be able to see the ship and you just follow the crowd about 2 miles out to the ship.

I'm re-posting the directions with cleaner formatting for myself and others, as something like this would likely need to be read on the fly by a passenger.

Thank you very much for posting them. It appears a bit more complicated than google maps shows!

-------------------------------------------------------------------

When you come through the toll plaza there are lots of choices and you have to make a quick decision as to where you are going.

For a first timer there's not time to stop and try to spot the correct little sign and I'm not sure the names of all the streets are clearly marked.

GPS is notoriously bad in this area.

- After you pay your toll you go straight across the toll plaza and get on a 2 lane ramp that goes up and curves left. This is hard to miss.

- On the ramp you stay on the right and make the first right, stay to the right and make another right.

- You will come to the light at route 440 where you will make a left, stay left, and make a left at the first light onto Goldsborough Drive.

- Route 440 is a four lane divided highway. You can only turn left at a traffic light - going south the first light is now at Goldsborough Drive.

- The left turn into the port used to be at Port Terminal Blvd (and it still is coming the other way), but they shut down that turn fairly recently and made Goldsborough Drive the main port access road coming from the north.

- Goldsborough Drive will merge with Port Terminal Blvd. You will be able to see the ship and you just follow the crowd about 2 miles out to the ship.

Quick question - is the Country Inn and Suites the only hotel offering a shuttle to the port (Cape Liberty)? I'm seeing a rate of $240 including 10 days parking and round trip transfers to / from the port.

That seems like a better deal than the other offers that include parking but no transfers, like the Ramada - or am I missing something?

The Country Inn rate also includes late checkout (2pm) which is good because I'm not boarding until 1:45pm.

Quick question - is the Country Inn and Suites the only hotel offering a shuttle to the port (Cape Liberty)? I'm seeing a rate of $240 including 10 days parking and round trip transfers to / from the port.

That seems like a better deal than the other offers that include parking but no transfers, like the Ramada - or am I missing something?

The Country Inn rate also includes late checkout (2pm) which is good because I'm not boarding until 1:45pm.

I think you are missing something.

The Ramada is $197 tax included for Feb 19 on Trinityreservations.com with 21 days parking and transfers for up to 4 people. IMO this is the best deal. The other park sleeps are on Staten Island which is less convenient coming from NH and costs an extra bridge toll just to get to Staten Island. Hampton Inn and Hilton Gardens.

I wouldn't worry about late check out. You will have to go when the hotel transportation goes. For the Quantum I got to the port at 10:15 for a 12:15 checkin and was on the ship by 11am.

I think you are missing something.

The Ramada is $197 tax included for Feb 19 on Trinityreservations.com with 21 days parking and transfers for up to 4 people. IMO this is the best deal. The other park sleeps are on Staten Island which is less convenient coming from NH and costs an extra bridge toll just to get to Staten Island. Hampton Inn and Hilton Gardens.

I wouldn't worry about late check out. You will have to go when the hotel transportation goes. For the Quantum I got to the port at 10:15 for a 12:15 checkin and was on the ship by 11am.

Ditto..

and do not go that late...they space out the arrival times so you get from curb to ship in 15 minutes...ish. Boarding started around 11-11:30...I forget exactly, but you're paying for the 1st day on the ship.

we followed 138east's directions in october 2014. and just let me say they were VERY easy to follow. they got us to the port in just minute. we actually hoping nothing in them change when we go in august on liberty. I higly recommend they be used :)

We just booked the Norwegian gem out of NYC on June 13 and are probably going to be driving from michigan. Any options for parking besides the port itself? We're open to parking outside the city and using public transportation.

I'm cruising on Norwegian Gem in Feb. 2016. We are driving in from Upstate NY and want to come in the day before our cruise. My husband is not a huge fan of NYC and did not want to stay in the city and I didn't want to pay the high parking prices. After much research, we'll be staying at the Holiday Inn Carteret Rahway. They offer Park and Go rates, around $160 for the night but that includes our parking. They also offer free airport shuttles. Plan is to take airport shuttle to Newark airport (even though we're not flying) and then Super Shuttle from there to the pier in NYC. Round trip cost for 2 of us is $70. If you are comfortable with public transportation, you can do that for even less. I wanted the comfort of having scheduled transportation.

What can I say? Just like Newark, Carteret is not a vacation destination and is not any kind of "suburban area". I would have problems ditching my car there for the duration of a cruise. I always encourage the Cape Liberty cruisers to be highly selective about where they leave their cars while cruising and most of them take advantage of one of the many park/sleeps offered at the airport by hotels and third party resellers. Coming from the north Carteret is an additional 2-3 turnpike exits south and up to an additional $5 in tolls.

I think you are premature in making park/sleep arrangements for February 2016. The third party resellers won't finalize their blocks of rooms and 2016 prices until the fall. This year Trinityreservations.com is offering the Ramada Plaza for $145 tax included with 14 days parking and many cruisers use this package because they also offer a Cape Liberty transportation option and 21 days parking for an additional $60.

Supershuttle is also not a popular carrier from the airport to New York City because in a shared van you could ride to several locations in NYC before getting dropped off at the pier. If your husband doesn't like NYC, he won't like that. Instead of Super Shuttle we recommend either the train or the airport bus and a cab to the pier. The airport bus is $28/rt and is easier because it leaves from each airport terminal and drops off on the street by Port Authority Bus terminal with easier access to cabs.

Where are you coming from in "upstate New York". If you were the least bit interested in parking at the pier, it is possible to get there on the Henry Hupdson Parkway/West Side Highway without really driving on any NYC streets,

Edited by 138east

Do you have a different recommendation when cruising for the NY passenger ship terminal? We may end up driving but not sure yet and it's still very far away November 2016 lol

My recommendation driving from New Brinswick, Canada, and parking at the pier would be to drive as far as Stamford/Greenwich, CT or even Norwalk, CT and Hotwire at least a 3* hotel for Sunday night. It should be an easy drive of about an hour after 9 am Monday on the cars only route to the Manhattan pier (directions can be provided). That way on your return you can disembark as early as possible and hit the road home.

Recommendations for flying would be more complex depending on what airport you fly into and whether you need pre cruise accommodations which are a lot pricier in NYC itself and the surrounding metro area. If you're not staying in NYC, Newark airport offers the largest pool of affordable accommodations.

Edited by 138east

Hi to all :)

Husband and I will be cruising on the April 25, 2015 repo cruise from San Juan to Bayonne. We will be leaving our car at the Renaissance Hotel long term parking (any reviews?). Our flight is out of JFK on JB red eye flight to San Juan (I know it’s not the preferred airport for cruise arriving in Bayonne).

That being said I need your advice on our itinerary:

After leaving car at the hotel we will use their shuttle to get to Newark airport

- Air train to Newark penn station (cost $12.50)

- Take NJ transit train to New York penn station

- Board A train to Howard beach – JFK airport station ($2.50)

- Air train to JFK terminal 5 ($5.00)

Please let me know if I got this correct. Thanks for your advice …and no changing airport is not an option this time.

:D

Hi to all :)

Husband and I will be cruising on the April 25, 2015 repo cruise from San Juan to Bayonne. We will be leaving our car at the Renaissance Hotel long term parking (any reviews?). Our flight is out of JFK on JB red eye flight to San Juan (I know it’s not the preferred airport for cruise arriving in Bayonne).

That being said I need your advice on our itinerary:

After leaving car at the hotel we will use their shuttle to get to Newark airport

- Air train to Newark penn station (cost $12.50)

- Take NJ transit train to New York penn station

- Board A train to Howard beach – JFK airport station ($2.50)

- Air train to JFK terminal 5 ($5.00)

Please let me know if I got this correct. Thanks for your advice …and no changing airport is not an option this time.

:D

What time of day will you be doing this on Friday, April 24?

Parking at the Renaissance should be fine.

A few corrections on your itinerary. The hotel shuttle will take you to the P4 Airtrain station at Newark Airport. You ride Airtrain for free to the Newark Airport Train Station where you purchase a ticket for $12.50 to go on NJTransit to New York Penn Station.

I'm sure the New Yorkers will have comments about the pro and cons of taking the A train to Jamaica versus taking the Long Island railroad to Jamaica.

If you take the A train, you will need detailed instructions on how to find the accessible route to the center track at 34th St Penn Station. If I remember correctly, the access to the uptown track where the C and E trains run is pretty easy from the NJTransit/Amtrak side of Penn Station with a few steps. However you have to find the elevator to cross up and over to the center track unless you can hump your luggage on the stairs.

My husband and I along with 3 other couples are cruising on Celebrity Summit 10/18, flying into Newark on 15th. Has anyone stayed at the Element in Harrison? Any opinions on ease of getting into NYC from there? Will Independent driver pick up from there?

My husband and I along with 3 other couples are cruising on Celebrity Summit 10/18, flying into Newark on 15th. Has anyone stayed at the Element in Harrison? Any opinions on ease of getting into NYC from there? Will Independent driver pick up from there?

I think it is a fairly new hotel. Harrison is close to newark, but it is also where the Red Bulls soccer team plays so it is probably not a bad area. PATH trains make a stop in Harrison so you should be able to get to the station and get into NYC...

Sorry I do not have more info....

As for Indep Driver? They should pick up there but it is much too early to arrange this, though they could tell you if they will pick up there.

Sent from my Galaxy S5

Edited by megr1125

What part of the U.S. are you coming from? What are you paying for your rooms? What age group are you in and do you have experience with highly urban areas? What in particular attracted you to this hotel? What are your sightseeing objectives in NYC?

The Element is a new hotel. However, it is in Harrison NJ, a very urban area just east of downtown Newark, so safety is a consideration. It is also located near the train tracks, so overnight noise is a concern if you're on the wrong side of the hotel. The hotel does not seem to offer a Newark Airport shuttle, which is an added expense. It will take you at least 40-45 minutes to get to midtown Manhattan on PATH via a transfer at Journal Square.

Did you consider the Robert Treat in downtown Newark which is a full service hotel with an airport and Newark Penn Station shuttle, free breakfast, and free internet? Using Newark Penn Station as a transportation hub gives you NJTransit access to New York Penn Station for $5 and PATH access to downtown Manhattan for $2.75. It's a very busy station with lots of folks coming and going as opposed to the Harrison PATH station which always looks somewhat deserted.

After considering pros and cons....I have made a little research and came with that alternative to get from Newark airport to JFK airport:

What about NYC airporter transfer from Newark to Grand central and then to JFK airport for $27.00 pp....is that a better solution? What will be the cost of traveling via public transport?...Air train, NJ tranist, LIRR, Air train? (off-peak)