CAPE LIBERTY 411 (and NYC too) Version 4!!

megr1125

On top of the base rate you will have to pay the $14 bridge toll plus tip.

I didn't notice when the OP is going but March 22nd. Verrazano bridge tool will be Cash $16 and EZPass $11.08. You would have to pay the EZpass rate if using car service.

FWIW

I think we would go over the Bayonne Bridge, not the Verrazano. I checked with the Hampton Inn and we could not use their shuttle unless we spend the night at their hotel. Looks like a car service is our best bet.

I think we would go over the Bayonne Bridge, not the Verrazano. I checked with the Hampton Inn and we could not use their shuttle unless we spend the night at their hotel. Looks like a car service is our best bet.

Yes Bayone Bridge for New Jersey, I thought you said you were going to NYC that would be the Verazzano.

We are thinking of booking a cruise on Anthem that leaves out of Cape Liberty in June of 2016. I don't think we will be going into NYC at all - just an overnight at a nearby hotel. We are a family of 5: two parents, three kids.

Which airport would you recommend we fly into? And is there a post that lists hotels convenient to the port and the best way to get from the airport to the hotel, and then from hotel to port.

Finally, what's the best way to get back to the airport?

I'm trying to build a budget and getting to this port seems kind of pricey and that will need to be taken into account as we budget. Thanks!

We are thinking of booking a cruise on Anthem that leaves out of Cape Liberty in June of 2016. I don't think we will be going into NYC at all - just an overnight at a nearby hotel. We are a family of 5: two parents, three kids.

Which airport would you recommend we fly into? And is there a post that lists hotels convenient to the port and the best way to get from the airport to the hotel, and then from hotel to port.

Finally, what's the best way to get back to the airport?

I'm trying to build a budget and getting to this port seems kind of pricey and that will need to be taken into account as we budget. Thanks!

Fly into Newark. Best way for 5 people to get back and forth from the airport to the port is to book a car service. For a no frills service that can handle 5 people and luggage, contact Independent driver - 888-816-0973 4-6 weeks ahead.

For 5 people look at all the Marriott properties like the Courtyard(both Newark and Elizabeth, Springhill Suites, Residence Inn, Fairfield Inn, etc. Most airport properties will NOT accommodate 5 people, so you have to look around a bit. Post back if you have questions. All the airport hotels will offer an airport shuttle - just read the fine print on their web site to be sure.

Fly into Newark. Best way for 5 people to get back and forth from the airport to the port is to book a car service. For a no frills service that can handle 5 people and luggage, contact Independent driver - 888-816-0973 4-6 weeks ahead.

For 5 people look at all the Marriott properties like the Courtyard(both Newark and Elizabeth, Springhill Suites, Residence Inn, Fairfield Inn, etc. Most airport properties will NOT accommodate 5 people, so you have to look around a bit. Post back if you have questions. All the airport hotels will offer an airport shuttle - just read the fine print on their web site to be sure.

Thanks so much! Love that you specifically mentioned Marriott hotels - we're rewards members and can likely cash in points for a free night. Do you know what the cost of the car will be from the hotel to the port? I just checked google maps and it looks like it is about 10 miles from the Springhill Suites to the cruise port. Do they charge like a taxi or is it a flat rate?

It will be about 50-60$$ but with that size group, you may want to try to get a van....You're too early for booking the budget service we suggest.

If I were you, do NOT stay at the Spring Hill Suites...(Lifetime Marriott Platinum here, been in ALL the Marriott flavors at EWR)!

Go for the Residence Inn...you can probably get a 2 BR...if you have status you may be able to score an upgrade...

Reason I say this..you'll have more options to eat . There is NOTHING by the SHS, except walking to the Courtyard's bistro. It's ok,...but at the RI you have iHop and Ruby Tuesday adjacent...or the Jersey Gardens outlet mall across the street...(though the options there for any forgotten items are few however if you forget shampoo or something, the Bed Bath & Beyond in the mall has a lot of travel size stuff, but I digress)

The RI will also drive you across the street to the mall if you don't want to walk.

The SHS, Courtyard Newark Airport and Farfield Inn are on the side of the airport that has nothing, and it's a pain to get around. If you do the RI or Courtyard Newark ELIZABETH (on Glimcher Realty way) you're much better off.

Failing that, you can try the Embassy Suites or Country Inn.

HTH

In addition to the AirTran to NJ transit to Penn Station from EWR as mentioned in some threads, taking the airport bus from EWR to mid-town Manhattan is a good option to consider. The bus departs every 15 minutes across the road from the three arrival terminals and the one-way fare is $16, $8 for passengers over 62. It takes you across Lincoln Tunnel to its first stop at the Port Authority Terminal on West 42nd Street near Time Square, and a second stop at Bryant Park, also on 42nd Street by 5th Avenue then to its final stop at 41st Street between Third and Lexington Avenues, about a block from Grand Central Terminal. From any of these three stops, you can visit many of NYC landmarks like the UN, Chrysler and Empire State buildings, not to mention the shopping, restaurants in the theatre district, and along 5th Avenue and 34th Street.

It will be about 50-60$$ but with that size group, you may want to try to get a van....You're too early for booking the budget service we suggest.

If I were you, do NOT stay at the Spring Hill Suites...(Lifetime Marriott Platinum here, been in ALL the Marriott flavors at EWR)!

Go for the Residence Inn...you can probably get a 2 BR...if you have status you may be able to score an upgrade...

Reason I say this..you'll have more options to eat . There is NOTHING by the SHS, except walking to the Courtyard's bistro. It's ok,...but at the RI you have iHop and Ruby Tuesday adjacent...or the Jersey Gardens outlet mall across the street...(though the options there for any forgotten items are few however if you forget shampoo or something, the Bed Bath & Beyond in the mall has a lot of travel size stuff, but I digress)

The RI will also drive you across the street to the mall if you don't want to walk.

The SHS, Courtyard Newark Airport and Farfield Inn are on the side of the airport that has nothing, and it's a pain to get around. If you do the RI or Courtyard Newark ELIZABETH (on Glimcher Realty way) you're much better off.

Failing that, you can try the Embassy Suites or Country Inn.

HTH

Thanks for the tips - that's great!

Hi, I am not sure if this was mentioned as I have not gone back and read all the posts in this new thread, but this link was posted today on the Main Celebrity boards about construction on Exit 14A that will go through the fall of 2018.

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/2015/03/hudson_county_pols_turnpike_authority_break_ground.html#incart_river

Not sure if there is another exit we can take or how much this will actually impact traffic.

Anne Maria

Hi, I am not sure if this was mentioned as I have not gone back and read all the posts in this new thread, but this link was posted today on the Main Celebrity boards about construction on Exit 14A that will go through the fall of 2018.

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/2015/03/hudson_county_pols_turnpike_authority_break_ground.html#incart_river

Not sure if there is another exit we can take or how much this will actually impact traffic.

Anne Maria

I can tell you that at least in the early going it has been a problem at rush hour a couple of times. But this is only the first few days, and until people get used to it, we will just have to deal with it. It should be no problem at all on the weekends. Any of us who have dealt with the Turnpike extension (that is what we call exits 14 A, B, and C) madness on a regular basis will tell you it is less of a problem than when they spent about three years redoing the whole roadway, or anytime there is an accident somewhere on the extension. From what I've seen so far, at its worst, it will probably only add no more than about 15 minutes extra to your trip, and at the time most people will be getting to Bayonne, (somewhere in the 10 AM to 2PM window), it should be no problem. As far as using a different exit, from the south there is getting off at Exit 13 and going over the Goethals Bridge and going through Staten Island on 278 East to 440 North which takes you over the Bayonne Bridge. The Bayonne Bridge is also under a long term construction project, and is subject to closures on the weekend. From the west and north, there are ways, but none I would recommend to anyone not from the area. (Too many turns and different roads). My recommendation, at least for now, stick with 14A. I will report back sometime in the weeks to come if my opinion changes.

I can tell you that at least in the early going it has been a problem at rush hour a couple of times. But this is only the first few days, and until people get used to it, we will just have to deal with it. It should be no problem at all on the weekends. Any of us who have dealt with the Turnpike extension (that is what we call exits 14 A, B, and C) madness on a regular basis will tell you it is less of a problem than when they spent about three years redoing the whole roadway, or anytime there is an accident somewhere on the extension. From what I've seen so far, at its worst, it will probably only add no more than about 15 minutes extra to your trip, and at the time most people will be getting to Bayonne, (somewhere in the 10 AM to 2PM window), it should be no problem. As far as using a different exit, from the south there is getting off at Exit 13 and going over the Goethals Bridge and going through Staten Island on 278 East to 440 North which takes you over the Bayonne Bridge. The Bayonne Bridge is also under a long term construction project, and is subject to closures on the weekend. From the west and north, there are ways, but none I would recommend to anyone not from the area. (Too many turns and different roads). My recommendation, at least for now, stick with 14A. I will report back sometime in the weeks to come if my opinion changes.

Hi Joe, thanks for the input. I don't think the Sunday Bermuda cruises on Celebrity Summit will be a problem, but Royal Caribbean sails out of Bayonne on all different days. Our Liberty cruise on October 22nd leaves on a Thursday. Here's hoping that the delays if any will be minimal.

We will be headed to the port in the spring of 2016. Work will surely be going on at this time. I'm hoping to avoid an real delays by taking the Garden State all the way to 78 East then right to the port, avoiding the N.J. Tpke altogether.

We will be heading down from upstate N.Y. via the N.Y.S. Thruway. It doesn't look like it will add very much time to the trip.

?????

bosco

We will be headed to the port in the spring of 2016. Work will surely be going on at this time. I'm hoping to avoid an real delays by taking the Garden State all the way to 78 East then right to the port, avoiding the N.J. Tpke altogether.

We will be heading down from upstate N.Y. via the N.Y.S. Thruway. It doesn't look like it will add very much time to the trip.

?????

bosco

As BayonneJoe said, you can't avoid this construction unless you pay the $14 toll to go across the Goethals Bridge to Staten Island and come back across the Bayonne Bridge to approach the port from the south. The Bayonne Bridge is also still being worked on I believe.

This construction will be at Exit 14A of the NJ Turnpike which is actually I78 in that stretch. This is also known as the "turnpike extension" and it connects Newark Airport Exit 14 to the Holland Tunnel.

Personally I prefer I80 and the Turnpike because the Turnpike has two sections and 6 lanes so there are always options.

Don't panic yet. If you don't have an EZPass, I'd seriously think about getting one in the meanwhile. Also, just monitor this forum for updates.

As BayonneJoe said, you can't avoid this construction unless you pay the $14 toll to go across the Goethals Bridge to Staten Island and come back across the Bayonne Bridge to approach the port from the south. The Bayonne Bridge is also still being worked on I believe.

This construction will be at Exit 14A of the NJ Turnpike which is actually I78 in that stretch. This is also known as the "turnpike extension" and it connects Newark Airport Exit 14 to the Holland Tunnel.

Personally I prefer I80 and the Turnpike because the Turnpike has two sections and 6 lanes so there are always options.

Don't panic yet. If you don't have an EZPass, I'd seriously think about getting one in the meanwhile. Also, just monitor this forum for updates.

We'll be getting on the Garden State where it starts near Nanuet NY and will not need to be anywhere near the Goethals bridge as we will be well West of 95 and the entire construction area.

We normally come down this way and join up with the Turnpike but will avoid it this time.

And EZ pass is the only way to go.

bosco

Edited by boscobeans

I guess I wasn't too clear. If you are going to Cape Liberty via Exit 14A on I78 (the NJ Turnpike Extension), you cannot avoid this construction. Please look at a map. If you're coming via any route from the north you will end up at Exit 14A unless you go further south to the Goethals Bridge and pay the bridge toll to be able to approach Cape Liberty from Staten Island on the south.

Locall streets are an option, but you have to know what you're doing. My personal experience is that the major local roads in that area suck because they tend to be clogged with truck traffic.

Edited by 138east

I guess I wasn't too clear. If you are going to Cape Liberty via Exit 14A on I78 (the NJ Turnpike Extension), you cannot avoid this construction. Please look at a map. If you're coming via any route from the north you will end up at Exit 14A unless you go further south to the Goethals Bridge and pay the bridge toll to be able to approach Cape Liberty from Staten Island on the south.

Locall streets are an option, but you have to know what you're doing. My personal experience is that the major local roads in that area suck because they tend to be clogged with truck traffic.

NYS thruway south to Nanuet and then west across to the Garden state then South on the Garden State to just South of Irvington NJ. Connect with 78 and straight to the port.

I realize we will be crossing the Turnpike at the construction site but hope that since we are just driving across it and not using any of its ramps or cloverleaves we may not get into too much delay.

Thanks for your correct information, I just hope it will not be too bad. In any case all will be fine once we turn off at the port. LOL.

bosco

NYS thruway south to Nanuet and then west across to the Garden state then South on the Garden State to just South of Irvington NJ. Connect with 78 and straight to the port.

I realize we will be crossing the Turnpike at the construction site but hope that since we are just driving across it and not using any of its ramps or cloverleaves we may not get into too much delay.

Thanks for your correct information, I just hope it will not be too bad. In any case all will be fine once we turn off at the port. LOL.

bosco

Let me see if I can clear this up for you. Exit 14A is part of the NJ Turnpike. Exits 14 A, B, and C make up what is known as the turnpike extension. It runs from Newark at Exit 14 and runs to the Holland Tunnel in Jersey City. That part of the turnpike is also part of Rt 78. The construction will be at 14A in Bayonne, the exit for Cape Liberty.

Let me see if I can clear this up for you. Exit 14A is part of the NJ Turnpike. Exits 14 A, B, and C make up what is known as the turnpike extension. It runs from Newark at Exit 14 and runs to the Holland Tunnel in Jersey City. That part of the turnpike is also part of Rt 78. The construction will be at 14A in Bayonne, the exit for Cape Liberty.

UGH. No wonder when I head down there my GPS pleads the Fifth Amendment and explodes.

Thanks for all your help. When we get close to our time I'll get back on and see what's in store for us.

bosco

I am disabled and require a wheelchair. I can get out of the chair and into a van seat with no problem.

We will be going on a 14 day Celebrity Summit cruise to New England/Canada on September 6th. We will be flying into EWR from California the day before.

The most important issue is wheelchair accessible transportation from the airport to the hotel (don't know which one yet), and from the hotel to the dock the next day. We don't mind staying at an airport hotel if that would be easier since we will not be doing any touring in the area.

Does anyone have any suggestions on which might be easier and less stressful. Cost is a secondary concern.

Rick

San Diego