Is a green card enough???

SeaCookie94

Hello fellow cruisers. I'm planning on surprising my little brother and sister with a cruise for sometime later on this year. I know I need to make my mom and dad sign the parental consent form, but the only problem is my mom only has a green card. Is that enough identification or will I run into some issues?

I would suggest calling the cruise line in question and see if that is sufficient documentation to travel.

If you mother isn't traveling with you, I don't think it'd be an issue...but i'm not an expert.

Edited by drhall
omit

I would suggest calling the cruise line in question and see if that is sufficient documentation to travel.

If you mother isn't traveling with you, I don't think it'd be an issue...but i'm not an expert.

No she won't be traveling with me, I just need to photocopy her government issued photo identification and all she has is a green card. I called NCL, they won't give me a straight forward answer lol

Does she have a drivers' license?

It seems that any governmental photo ID would be suitable for this.

See also the info from the US Customs and Border Control website:

https://www.google.com/#q=single+parent+leaving+country+with+child

NCL can require their own documentation, of course, and that form doesn't require a passport copy from the actual parents, and something like a copy of a drivers' license seems to be satisfactory.

You might want to see the other thread comments, too:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2163713

as this raises similar concerns.

GeezerCouple

I'm not an attorney, so I would suggest consulting one to be sure, but what I am familiar with is people writing out a letter stating "(You) are allowed to take (child 1) & (child 2) out of the country to (these places) during (this time frame)" and have all parents or legal guardians sign it, along with all adults traveling with you, in front of a notary.

The documentation, I think, is more for everybody's protection in the event something happened...you can show that you have permission to have them. I don't believe that the cruise line really cares either way, but they're not in the business of protecting you legally.

Definitely check with an attorney if NCL isn't being clear.

No she won't be traveling with me, I just need to photocopy her government issued photo identification and all she has is a green card. I called NCL, they won't give me a straight forward answer lol

Um, a green card is a government issued photo ID.

Hello fellow cruisers. I'm planning on surprising my little brother and sister with a cruise for sometime later on this year. I know I need to make my mom and dad sign the parental consent form, but the only problem is my mom only has a green card. Is that enough identification or will I run into some issues?

If what you are saying is that ONLY you and your siblings are traveling, then no one will know that your mother has a green card. it won't matter at all, any government ID including a DL will work for your purposes. There will be no issues.

Edited by zqvol

How can you get a green card without having a passport ?

A green card is the document identifying that the individual is a lawful permanent resident of the United States, but not a citizen. So...a green card holder can't have a US passport, they can only have a passport from the country in which they have citizenship.

How can you get a green card without having a passport ?

A green card is the document identifying that the individual is a lawful permanent resident of the United States, but not a citizen. So...a green card holder can't have a US passport, they can only have a passport from the country in which they have citizenship.

Exactly. That's his point. She would have to have a passport from the country in which she has residence in order to have gotten into the USA in the first place, right?

Exactly. That's his point. She would have to have a passport from the country in which she has residence in order to have gotten into the USA in the first place, right?

No...the person could have been admitted as a refugee without a passport (for example, think of the Cubans who have made their way to the US via boat). Even if a Green Card holder had a passport when they first came to the US, it could have subsequently expired and it may have been impossible to obtain a new passport (again, think of a Cuban refugee is an example), or the person may have just chosen to not obtain a new passport.

Edited by njhorseman