Upgrading Choice Air tickets

We are booked on the Allure, doing the west bound transatlantic, the end of October. Checking for one way flights from Phoenix to Barcelona, on choiceair.com did not give me the results I was looking for. Being 6'4", I need a little more legroom, so I look for exit rows, or the premium economy seats that have more leg room. Flying across the ocean, over night is bad enough without being cramped. The ones available through choice air were really pricey or had too long of a total flight. I found an economy flight, on Delta that was acceptable and called choiceair.com to see if I could book it with the premium seating. They said it wasn't available through them. I booked the economy flight and when I got my conformation number, I went to delta.com. I was able to get the economy comfort seats I wanted by paying a small premium.

Bottom line, I was able to get the flights I wanted, and the seats I wanted for $350 p.p. cheaper than the one flight choiceair.com had for those premium seats.

This is the third time I was able to upgrade, at a discounted price. Once before on Delta, once on Air Canada, and once on British Air.

We did this several years ago, when Choice Air was fairly new. We needed a one way flight to London. The CA price was $1200 pp cheaper than the airline site, so I booked through CA and then went to the airline site and upgraded to Economy Plus for a small fee. Well worth it on those long flights.

Glad to hear you were able to upgrade after you purchased your Choice Air tickets. Did you know that an upgrade, direct with the airline, was going to be available before you bought the economy tickets?

Yes. I went to delta.com and found the flights I wanted and the seats were available from Phoenix to Minneapolis and Minneapolis to Amsterdam. The flight from Amsterdam to Barcelona is on KLM and they don't have that class.

Where did you get your confirmation number from Delta, I booked but don't see mine?

Look on your Choice Air Conformation Guest Copy. It's in the top right section. It's called Record Locator. It starts DL/ (delta) and then your conformation number. It's five digits made up of letters and numbers.

Grandgeezer

We are from Mesa and on the Allure October transatlantic. My husband is almost 6'7" and I always try to find seats with legroom for him. Did you book round trip? Do I understand correctly that you booked into economy on Delta through Choice Air and then later upgraded directly with the airline?

What day did you decide to fly out?

Maureen

Grandgeezer

We are from Mesa and on the Allure October transatlantic. My husband is almost 6'7" and I always try to find seats with legroom for him. Did you book round trip? Do I understand correctly that you booked into economy on Delta through Choice Air and then later upgraded directly with the airline?

What day did you decide to fly out?

Maureen

Yes, I booked the regular economy, one way, on Choice Air. When I got my confirmation number, I went to delta.com, and upgraded to the economy comfort. There is about 4" more legroom in these seats. Also, it's near the front of the plane and you board with Zone 1. Choice Air isn't good for domestic flights, so coming home from Ft. Lauderdale, you can do better on your own.

We are doing a seven day cruise before the transatlantic, and we like Barecelona so much, we are going to spend two extra days there. We are flying out on October 15, putting us in Barcelona on October 16.

Grandgeezer -I also did the economy comfort upgrade on our Delta Atlanta-Barcelona flight on September 9th. We haven’t flown on Delta for many years but Choice Air offered a good one-way price, time and routing.

The one thing that worries me is if there are flight changes between now and September - flight numbers, times, etc. We travel a lot and encounter changes all the time. Grandgeezer, do you think Choice Air is aware of our upgrade or are they now out of the picture and the airline is in control? Do you think it is something we should be concerned about? If our flight is changed, will the upgrade be moved also?

Sorry for perhaps raising an unnecessary concern. I have never upgraded seating before. I jumped on it fast after reading a few positive reviews and seeing there were not many economy comfort seats available.

Thanks,

Johnette

Grandgeezer -I also did the economy comfort upgrade on our Delta Atlanta-Barcelona flight on September 9th. We haven’t flown on Delta for many years but Choice Air offered a good one-way price, time and routing.

The one thing that worries me is if there are flight changes between now and September - flight numbers, times, etc. We travel a lot and encounter changes all the time. Grandgeezer, do you think Choice Air is aware of our upgrade or are they now out of the picture and the airline is in control? Do you think it is something we should be concerned about? If our flight is changed, will the upgrade be moved also?

Sorry for perhaps raising an unnecessary concern. I have never upgraded seating before. I jumped on it fast after reading a few positive reviews and seeing there were not many economy comfort seats available.

Thanks,

Johnette

You raise some valid points on some items that never crossed my mind. This will be my fourth adventure doing this and have had no problems, knock on wood. I don't think Choice Air knows of the change, nor should they. They are just like any other travel agent. If any problem would arise, I would contact Choice Air first, they still have some responsibility in helping you get to Barcelona. I would guess, if the flight is changed, the upgrade will move with you, if not, there should be a refund.. I'll check my reservation, through delta.com regularly to see if there is any changes and adjust accordingly. The times might change, but I'm not concerned the flights will.

Do not assume that your paid upgrade will follow you in case your flight is changed. On a recent domestic AA flight that happened to us. In past years, the upgrade has automatically followed a change. However, that is no longer the case with AA. By the time I saw the refund to my cc, there were no longer any upgrades available.

• 6 months later...

Booking thru Choice air

Has anyone, ever received a free upgrade from economy to economy plus due to their loyalty level.

Also what about using FF miles to upgrade to business/first from economy

Particularly interested in recent United FF experiences