HAL still rationing soap?

Vic The Parrot

We just got off Nieuw Amsterdam and there were no issues with not getting enough soap, we were in a Pinnacle suite and had more than enough and our niece and partner's mother were in a Neptune and had three bars of soap.

I doubt that Pinnacle or Penthouse Suite guests have a problem getting soaps or experience similar service issues.

I doubt that Pinnacle or Penthouse Suite guests have a problem getting soaps or experience similar service issues.

You'd be surprised. Upon embarking I did not have any ice or glasses on the Westy. I also didn't have any ice on the NA when I embarked. These were both neptune suites. Also only had one bar of soap. I always have to ask for more. Yes, this is a first world problem before anyone decides to post that.

I have had to ask for a bar of soap for shower/tub and sometimes even for sink. More than once we boarded and when I entered the Neptune Suite bathroom saw there was no soap at the sink with which to wash my dirty 'traveling hands'. All the Code Orange they will try will never work if someone cannot wash their hands upon entering their cabin. :rolleyes:

Yes, of course, when I saw my steward, we got soap but I began to always pack a bar as it became annoying to fret would we have ample soap or not.

Edited by sail7seas

Funny... I don't consider that stingy... TO me, stingy would be them arguing that you already have one and once that is gone you may have another.

Different strokes I suppose... :rolleyes:

I was wondering exactly how many soap bars would be needed to move from "stingy" to "generous." Let's see... One for each sink. One for the shower. Two for the bathtub, because there's a shower head and a tub spout. Maybe an extra one, because the water controls are on the opposite end of the tub.

One by the ice bucket, in case you wanted a bracing, cold water face wash. Of course you'd want one on the balcony for rainwater baths.

What about little teeny tiny soaps with turn down? Someone might want to wash with pillow drool. I guess those might be mistaken for white chocolates though.

I think the answer is nine. :)

I was wondering exactly how many soap bars would be needed to move from "stingy" to "generous." Let's see... One for each sink. One for the shower. Two for the bathtub, because there's a shower head and a tub spout. Maybe an extra one, because the water controls are on the opposite end of the tub.

One by the ice bucket, in case you wanted a bracing, cold water face wash. Of course you'd want one on the balcony for rainwater baths.

What about little teeny tiny soaps with turn down? Someone might want to wash with pillow drool. I guess those might be mistaken for white chocolates though.

I think you were one off on your count. Perhaps a soap on a rope that we could where at all times around our necks. :D

Yup, Sounds about right to me. :D ROFL ......

Hilarious!

How about one for the sink, one for the shower/bathtub?

Replaced without me having to ask once they get to be half the original size (hard to hold when small, you know).

Some pax don't ask for much, just some graciousness in supplying amenities, especially with Norwalk and colds common.

Hilarious!

How about one for the sink, one for the shower/bathtub?

Replaced without me having to ask once they get to be half the original size (hard to hold when small, you know).

Some pax don't ask for much, just some graciousness in supplying amenities, especially with Norwalk and colds common.

I don't know if you been on the NA or not. Somehow the way the have to soap bar spot exposes it to a large amount of water. I've had the soap turn into a blob of goo within a few days. I remember getting of the ship and hunting down soap on my 2012 cruise. On my last cruise I was able to perch the soap on a loofa Mitt that saved it from that. Those loofa mitts don't come in the cheap seats unfortunatly because I spend more time there.

I don't know if you been on the NA or not. Somehow the way the have to soap bar spot exposes it to a large amount of water. I've had the soap turn into a blob of goo within a few days. I remember getting of the ship and hunting down soap on my 2012 cruise. On my last cruise I was able to perch the soap on a loofa Mitt that saved it from that. Those loofa mitts don't come in the cheap seats unfortunatly because I spend more time there.

Yes, I know about that! Any soap that starts turning into a blob should be replaced pronto!! I can't imagine that HAL hasn't figured this out.

I always take a small nail brush, about 3 ' x 2' and I found it works very well to hold the soap out of the water in the soap dish. Shouldn't have to do this, of course, but....

Edited by SilvertoGold

If a steward was 'arguing' with a guest about anything I would find words other than stingy to describe that. :eek: I understand your message but I don't like combining hospitality business and arguing in the same sentence.

Yes clearly there would then be other issues at hand besides another bar of soap... glad you still managed to find the message I was making in there.

And while I'm not multi-quoting... POA's post about 9... LMAO!!

"But, if HAL is stingy with soap, what would you call European hotels? I find that,in less than 5 star hotels, they treat soap like bars of gold. They provide tiny bars of made in China soap that is hardly adequate for one or two showers so I always bring my own soap when traveling around Europe."

OK - I am laughing and I have to agree with you.

We spent 3 weeks in Spain on business and the (AC Marriott)hotel provided tubes of shower gel and these little tiny golf ball shaped soaps that rolled around all over the place. The housekeeping staff would save the caps from the shampoo to use as soap holders on the sink to keep them from rolling off the flat glass counter top onto the floor.

Off we went to the market to buy 'normal' bath size bars of soap - and that was difficult to find.

Not to offend, but I really find this "rationing" of soap a rather odd topic to generate so much comment. It's simply a matter of avoiding waste and it's associated cost. If you want more soap just ask for it. If you don't, don't ask for it. If you like your own, bring it with you.

Edited by Dave in NJ

Not to offend, but I really find this "rationing" of soap a rather odd topic to generate so much comment. It's simply a matter of avoiding waste and it's associated cost. If you want more soap just ask for it. If you don't, don't ask for it. If you like your own, bring it with you.

Perhaps it has more to do with the idea of reasonable expectations in the setting of a multi-thousand dollar cruise. As noted earlier, one small bar of soap in a suite bathroom with two sinks and a tub/shower would seem significantly inconvenient and below any reasonable standard.

Perhaps it has more to do with the idea of reasonable expectations in the setting of a multi-thousand dollar cruise. As noted earlier, one small bar of soap in a suite bathroom with two sinks and a tub/shower would seem significantly inconvenient and below any reasonable standard.

But the tub/shower have dispensers of shower gel in them, meaning "soap" is already there. And while I've never been in a suite with 2 sinks, I would guess there is not so much room between the sinks that they could not share a bar of soap.

Also, maybe the cruise line has noted a good number (whatever that is to the accountants) of passengers brig their own soap, so it's more cost effective not to put out more than one bar unless asked.

I agree. This is what it is about for me: a reasonable standard.

We have taken a lot of longer cruises. Mostly I just want the soap replaced when it should be, not when it is almost invisible and before I am forced to ask for one bar extra.

A shipboard Housekeeping Manager once told me in all sincerity that I could have a new bar every day. (That was not what I wanted, but he was trying hard to please).

That didn't work out very well; I still had to ask.........

But the tub/shower have dispensers of shower gel in them, meaning "soap" is already there. And while I've never been in a suite with 2 sinks, I would guess there is not so much room between the sinks that they could not share a bar of soap.

Also, maybe the cruise line has noted a good number (whatever that is to the accountants) of passengers brig their own soap, so it's more cost effective not to put out more than one bar unless asked.

Technically true as far as it goes, however: I see a significant number of posts from pax who either don't like the Elemis products, or who don't like liquid soap in the shower/bath and want a bar. And if I thought that HAL had instructed their cabin attendants to poke around bathrooms to monitor and report back on pax who brought on their own soap - in the interests of saving 18 cents or so - well, there are just no words.......

Technically true as far as it goes, however: I see a significant number of posts from pax who either don't like the Elemis products, or who don't like liquid soap in the shower/bath and want a bar. And if I thought that HAL had instructed their cabin attendants to poke around bathrooms to monitor and report back on pax who brought on their own soap - in the interests of saving 18 cents or so - well, there are just no words.......

I don't use he Elemis products in the shower and request a bar and I have never had a problem getting a bar of soap. Soap is provided, if you want other soap, that's not not providing soap.

I seriously doubt the stewards are instructed to report back. But they can hardly fail to notice if passengers leave a bar of their own soap in the bath, can they? I do think the powers that be noticed more and more soap going unused, and more cabin stewards noticed more personal bars being brought. Why put out products that are not going to be used? That's just wasteful.

I don't use he Elemis products in the shower and request a bar and I have never had a problem getting a bar of soap. Soap is provided, if you want other soap, that's not not providing soap.

I seriously doubt the stewards are instructed to report back. But they can hardly fail to notice if passengers leave a bar of their own soap in the bath, can they? I do think the powers that be noticed more and more soap going unused, and more cabin stewards noticed more personal bars being brought. Why put out products that are not going to be used? That's just wasteful.

Of course they are not going to say no if you ask. The question is, if you paying 10k or so for a suite, why in the world should you have to ask:confused:?