no sandals?

tampadee

Is it true that women cannot wear sandals (even dressy sandals) in the evening restaurants?

Are polo shirts okay for men?

A dress shoe by any other name is a dress shoe. The First Lady can wear a dress sandal to the inaugural ball, you can wear a dress sandal to dinner.

I would like to think that a polo shirt is not proper attire, but, alas, I'm afraid it is interpreted as such by so many that it has become acceptable on Oceania. I would prefer if men would wear a collared shirt, such as an aloha shirt or other traditional collar. Hence, I utterly hate the effect of casual Fridays and other "Millenium" fashions on evening dress as much as I detest the stiff formal attire of the early 20th c.

Someone needs to define the fashion rules for formal, dress, casual and beach or work for this new century. Puhleeeze!

A polo shirt has a collar and a few buttons. "Traditional" shirts have more buttons. That, and the fact that polo shirts are usually more of a knit and button front shirts are usually woven, are the only differences. I don't see much difference between wearing a polo shirt or wearing a short sleeve dress shirt with a sweater. The "code" is no tee shirts, muscle shirts, tank tops, under shirts, etc. Although, when wearing a sport coat (which has a collar), I sometimes wear a dressy tee, my "Miami Vice" look. and in cooler weather, wear a turtle neck under the jacket.

If the fashion rules in this century were defined, it wouldn't be this century...

Edited by hondorner

I would like to think that a polo shirt is not proper attire, but, alas, I'm afraid it is interpreted as such by so many that it has become acceptable on Oceania. I would prefer if men would wear a collared shirt, such as an aloha shirt or other traditional collar.

Interesting how different folks have different tastes in dress. I personally much prefer seeing men in tasteful polo shirts at dinner than certain men dressed in certain Hawaiian shirts. :eek:

I also note that I observed about three times as many men wearing Hawaiian shirts to dinner on this January's Caribbean cruise on Riviera than on the one I took just one year ago.

Edited by CintiPam

Interesting how different folks have different tastes in dress. I personally much prefer seeing men in tasteful polo shirts at dinner than certain men dressed in certain Hawaiian shirts. :eek:

I also note that I observed about three times as many men wearing Hawaiian shirts to dinner on this January's Caribbean cruise on Riviera than on the one I took just one year ago.[/QUOT

Agree! Hawaiian shirts are OK at breakfast and terrace lunch but not MDR.

They look best when worn in Hawaii.:rolleyes:

Why? They have collar and buttons. This is not developing into a thread for the fashion police - I hope. There is already one in a different section of cc. Sometimes entertaining, sometimes annoying.

Saw a young man in a white sleeveless undershirt (wife beater) in the MDR on the last cruise. No jacket or cover-up. Would greatly appreciate a nice silk Hawaiian shirt at that point.

The Maitre'd should have refused them entry :eek:

I have seen people arriving in short to the GDR refused entry so why not sleeves less shirts

There might be fashion police here but not on the ship. The dress is resort casual so use your owne idea on how to dress in a normal restaurant and it will be OK IMO. I never saw anyone paying attention to how others dress and I never saw anyone dressing down.

Sent from my SM-T320 using Forums mobile app

A polo shirt has a collar and a few buttons. "Traditional" shirts have more buttons. That, and the fact that polo shirts are usually more of a knit and button front shirts are usually woven, are the only differences. I don't see much difference between wearing a polo shirt or wearing a short sleeve dress shirt with a sweater. The "code" is no tee shirts, muscle shirts, tank tops, under shirts, etc. Although, when wearing a sport coat (which has a collar), I sometimes wear a dressy tee, my "Miami Vice" look. and in cooler weather, wear a turtle neck under the jacket.

If the fashion rules in this century were defined, it wouldn't be this century...

Don..Miami Vice is way out of style...LOL

But you always look good!! (Betsy looks better tho)

Jancruz1

I also note that I observed about three times as many men wearing Hawaiian shirts to dinner on this January's Caribbean cruise on Riviera than on the one I took just one year ago.

You have to consider the style at the time..Hawaiian shirts are very in right now!!

Jancruz1

I also note that I observed about three times as many men wearing Hawaiian shirts to dinner on this January's Caribbean cruise on Riviera than on the one I took just one year ago.[/QUOT

They look best when worn in Hawaii.:rolleyes:

Some refer to Hawaiian shirts without distinction. An aloha shirt here in Hawaii is considered a daytime, casual shirt in cotton, usually wild print. A dress Hawaiian style is considerably more tasteful, being made of silk or blend, usually with a matching placket, muted design and most often not full of flowers or beach scenes. Tori Richard, Tommy Bahama, Cubavera and such are welcome in most resorts and even in mainland restaurants that require jackets. It is a matter of taste, see the sandals post. Personally, I prefer a dressier attire than polo at dinner, but that would include the dress "Hawaiian" style. :)

On Board the Marina now. Either Polo or "Hawaiian" shirts are fine as long as they are collared.

New instructions now given aboard ship now says "NO JEANS" in the MDR and specialties. I have seen men turned away when trying to enter wearing them. Have not seen woman attempting to wear them yet.

Huge changes with the specialties reservations system now. Everything people thought they knew, and that has been printed here in the past, is now changed. Will try to make posting with new heading soon on the issue soon.

Huge changes with the specialties reservations system now. Everything people thought they knew, and that has been printed here in the past, is now changed. Will try to make posting with new heading soon on the issue soon.

Anxious to hear about these.