sharks and stingrays around cococay?!

jaspbri0317

We have seen several and never a problem. They are not aggressive just curios. We are divers so sharks are not foreign to us, I'm more afraid of the sharks along the mid-Atlantic beaches. The bull sharks you don't see are dangerous. It's actually something we look forward to.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by Sandyscrusin

just wondering if anyone has had problems with the baby sharks and sting rays around the beaches on cococay?

I've seen videos and pictures of them right next to swimmers and that's making me and my family a little nervous!

thanks!

I'm always skeptical of anyone posting such a controversial comment with their first post on a board.....

just wondering if anyone has had problems with the baby sharks and sting rays around the beaches on cococay?

I've seen videos and pictures of them right next to swimmers and that's making me and my family a little nervous!

thanks!

Went snorkeling when I was there in Nov. '14. Saw a sting ray while snorkeling (we were probably some of the first people out in the water, too) but didn't see any after that/it got more crowded. Swam throughout the other waters too and didn't see any other sting rays after others were in the water, splashing. If you're nervous, stay around others (who are loud). Shouldn't be an issue.

Yes, I was surprised to be swimming with these creatures at CocaCay last June. My kids and grandkids were with me in the waters near the kids play area. I guess it's the mob mentality!!! We all just continued to swim and they swam all around us and not one of the hundreds of people in the area were bothered? WOW! I will be skeptical on my next trip. I think I stepped on several of the sting rays.

There are sharks and other "sea life" in every part of the ocean! If you go in the Atlantic, Pacific, Caribbean, Indian, Arctic, etc....you will be "swimming with the fishes"...literally!

If you shuffle your feet, rather than just stepping, any sting rays will skeddadle!

Yes, I was surprised to be swimming with these creatures at CocaCay last June. My kids and grandkids were with me in the waters near the kids play area. I guess it's the mob mentality!!! We all just continued to swim and they swam all around us and not one of the hundreds of people in the area were bothered? WOW! I will be skeptical on my next trip. I think I stepped on several of the sting rays.

Why would you be bothered? Its their ocean....Its a harmless lemon shark and sand ray....

You want RCCL to remove them before the ship arrives? :rolleyes:

you have a greater chance of being killed by a falling vending machine than a shark....

Live a little folks, its the ocean and world, not our secluded sheltered American lives -

here is a real shark dive that most people would freak about....they are just nurse / reef sharks and are not dangerous at all, dozens of people do this dive in Nassau everyday:

Edited by Deptacon

Royal has done a lot with trying to get the reef system and marine life to build up at Coco Cay. I remember the first time I snorkeled there over 15 years ago and the marine life and reef system has steadily grown. With that growth it is normal to expect scavengers like rays and sharks to come in.

Most intimidating thing I have see in the water was a 4-6 foot Spotted Eagle Ray. I wouldn't be too worried about these little guys.

okay thanks everyone! :)

FYI- not a troll, just a complete cruise newbie and this was the first question I had that I couldn't already find the answer to!

Welcome to cruise critic. Coco Cay information can usually be found on the port of call forum for private islands. Here is a link for you.:)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=406

Don't be afraid to ask questions, some get a little skeptical with new posters since some banned posters keep creating new names and create threads on controversial topics. This topic is far from controversial so not sure why the troll comments. Keep posting, first cruises are exciting to plan!

Nurse sharks, lemon sharks, bonnetheads and other small reef sharks and barracuda are very common in the shallows of the Bahamas. For the most part, they are completely harmless. Lemons can get aggressive under the right conditions but for the most part, you are not on their menu. Bites most often occur from harrassing them.

WRT stingrays, the general rule on any sandy bottom is to shuffle your feet. Otherwise, if you see them swimming, like the sharks, just don't harrass them or try to grab them. Stingrays don't attack...they defend. So if they swim near you, just relax and enjoy their company. :)

well keep in mind that they are moving AWAY from the people, not toward. These are not aggressive- unless provoked. i think if you go poking at them it could be different story because they would try to protect themselves. I have seen Baracudas, small sand sharks and plenty of stingrays and you just dont step on top of them or try to grab them or anything. they are just as afraid of us as we are of them.

• 2 months later...

Couple of years ago we were at Cocoa Cay at a pretty secluded part of the island sitting in beautiful waste deep water. The sea was an amazing light blue and the sky was blue and we just sat there as a few sting rays swam around us. That beautiful experience was a gift from God! THe sting rays seems to "fly" around. Everything was so cool! Wonderful experience!

Never been to Cococay, will in Oct. 15. I have been to alot of different places where I have found myself surround by stingrays and sharks. They wont hurt you if you dont bother them. Just look at them and enjoy them.