Does RCCL spray for mosquitoes in Labadee?

Considering the situation with Chikungunya (not trying to be alarmist, just taking precautions), does Royal spray for mosquitoes at their private port of call? How are mosquitoes there? If we're just on the beach all day, need we worry about this?

We have similar concerns, due to various medical conditions. Have a Doc's appointment today, and plan to ask him a few questions. I know DEET is the recommended product to keep away insects, but I am wary of using it. I worked at a campground with a camp store back in the day, we sold products with DEET, but heard cautionary things about it. We will probably pick up something like this -

http://www.amazon.com/All-Terrain-DEET-Free-Natural-Repellent/dp/B000MWDYAY/ref=sr_1_9?s=lawn-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1423489070&sr=1-9&keywords=insect+repellent

We have similar concerns, due to various medical conditions. Have a Doc's appointment today, and plan to ask him a few questions. I know DEET is the recommended product to keep away insects, but I am wary of using it. I worked at a campground with a camp store back in the day, we sold products with DEET, but heard cautionary things about it. We will probably pick up something like this -

http://www.amazon.com/All-Terrain-DEET-Free-Natural-Repellent/dp/B000MWDYAY/ref=sr_1_9?s=lawn-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1423489070&sr=1-9&keywords=insect+repellent

My Dad (and I) used to practically bath in DEET products for decades while trout fishing. He lived to a ripe old age of 89, I don't think it hurt him.

Its a bug....Bugs are outside.

Next up, someone will ask if RCCL removes the Jelly fish from the ocean at CoCoCay before the ship arrives. (The sad part, I heard a women ask a RCCL employee on CoCo this very thing...she was puzzled why the cruise line didnt remove them before the ship arrived)

Sorry, I dont mean to sound insulting....but I guess I understand where you are coming from being Canada where bug and skeeter populations are not something that is a part of life.

I will say this.....Dont worry about it..... your are over thinking the situation.

Edited by Deptacon

Next up, someone will ask if RCCL removes the Jelly fish from the ocean at CoCoCay before the ship arrives. (The sad part, I heard a women ask a RCCL employee on CoCo this very thing...she was puzzled why the cruise line didnt remove them before the ship arrived)

Sorry, I dont mean to sound insulting....but I guess I understand where you are coming from being Canada where bug and skeeter populations are not something that is a part of life.

I will say this.....Dont worry about it..... your are over thinking the situation.

We have more than our fair share of those Mosquitos up here in Canada. Ever been to Winnipeg? There's only 2 seasons...winter and mosquito.:D

As others have said you leave early enough where this isn't an issue.

My wife and daughter are mosquito magnets and they have never been bit while there. The public areas are pretty well cleared of vegetation (save trees here and there) so it isn't like you are in the middle of a jungle.

I have to wonder if the upcoming Quantum 3/21 sailing (which overnights in Labadee) will have guests come in before dusk. Even if they do, those pax will know first hand what it is like to be there late in the day.

Actually in Canada, at least in my part of Canada, we have huge skeeter problems and the Ministry (gov't agency) tests ponds, water reservoirs, for larva every spring and also sprays for mosquitos due to the fact that they are a huge problem as a lot of them are carrying West Nile disease. So it isn't such a terrible question to ask if RCI sprays for them - by the replies on this thread you would think nobody has heard of spraying for mosquitos - so for those of you who are that unaware - that is how mosquitoes are killed!!!!

As per the original poster's question, when looking at the US gov't travel site map (sorry, I don't have the link, I clicked on it from another post last week) it doesn't show Haiti as been problematic for Chikungunya.

Edited by Clipper123

RCCL is actually selling the MOSQUITOES a new "Dynamic Dining" package where, for a "nominal fee," the mosquitoes can dine on non-suite passengers. No reservations required.

:)

Incorrect! Royal recently instituted an additional charge on top of the base fee for feasting on gold card guests. The base fee only allows them access to lower tier guests. I suspect those mosquitoes who don't read Cruise Critic will be shocked at the up-charge. ;)

...when looking at the US gov't travel site map (sorry, I don't have the link, I clicked on it from another post last week) it doesn't show Haiti as been problematic for Chikungunya.
The US Centers for Disease Control (CDC) at http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/notices/watch/chikungunya-saint-martin says

As of January 9, 2015, the following Caribbean countries have reported cases of chikungunya:...Haiti...[along with almost all of the Caribbean - Bonaire and Cuba are some of the few exceptions].

Thom

Apparently you haven't been to Canada, they have PLENTY of "bug and skeeter" populations.............:rolleyes:

I do agree though it's not something to worry about. We've been vacationing in the Caribbean for 20 years and have never seen a mosquito.

Edited by bouhunter

I doubt that RCI sprying for mosquitos would be of any benefit. Spraying usually involves areas of standing water, like ponds, where breeding occurs and the larvae can be killed. I don't remember any areas of standing water in the Labadee compound and since the insects can easly fly 1-3 miles I doubt that they have any respect for the armed guard who stands by the locked gate in the fence that surrounds the compound.

Incorrect! Royal recently instituted an additional charge on top of the base fee for feasting on gold card guests. The base fee only allows them access to lower tier guests. I suspect those mosquitoes who don't read Cruise Critic will be shocked at the up-charge. ;)

I stand corrected...... :)