Carnival Magic - Any water activities for semi-potty trained 2 yr old?

razarizvi

Howdy,

My wife and I are planning a Carnival Magic 7 day cruise in April 2015 with a two year old (28 mo). We're working on getting her potty trained but will still keep her in swimming diapers.

Are there any pools or water areas even ankle length deep on the Carnival Magic where my kid can enjoy the water on the ship? She absolutely loves being in pools. Will appreciate any feedback. Thanks!

The only two Carnival ships that allow swim diapers are the Spirit and Legend, while in Australia. This is a USPH regulation, and since those ships do not call in the US, they do not have to meet these requirements. "Infant only recreational water facilities" to give them their official title by USPH are relatively new, and only newer ships on other lines offer them.

At the risk of catching flak as I did on another thread about this, think of bringing a blow up pool. They have some that are just about the size of a kid while sitting, so they take up little room on deck. Use them on your balcony or on the pool deck. Fill them from the showers on the pool deck, and dump them in the showers. Heck, I've seen folks buy the "bucket of beer" or "beer helmet" and use the bucket/helmet as a "splash zone" for a little one, though that may be too young for your ankle biter.

Edited by chengkp75

Kids in diapers stay near their parents....in a blow-up tub...not a blow up pool! A pool is too large. A blowup tub is the right size. Takes about 1 bucket of water to give the child enough to "splash" in.

If you really want her to use the kid's pool, then work on that potty-training thing..and get her OUT of the swimmie diapers!

Howdy,

My wife and I are planning a Carnival Magic 7 day cruise in April 2015 with a two year old (28 mo). We're working on getting her potty trained but will still keep her in swimming diapers.

Are there any pools or water areas even ankle length deep on the Carnival Magic where my kid can enjoy the water on the ship? She absolutely loves being in pools. Will appreciate any feedback. Thanks!

I'll get the popcorn;) -- This could get interesting...

Edited by astropilot

In a word, no.

This is your answer right here. I have heard parents bringing a small inflatable pool. But even with swim diapers on, they aren't allowed in the splash areas or the pools. Most slides would be too big for a toddler that young anyway. 28 months. Ok that's almost 2 1/2. How long do you go by months? lol

NO! Unfortunately, this is very enforced by Carnival personnel

Unfortunately?! Can you imagine the time and effort to cleaning up what I am sure would be multiple honest accidents per cruise or *shudder* worse if the accidents were not cleaned thoroughly? Eww, makes me not want to go in the pool enough as is! I support their ban on the not potty trained set as I would run the ship out of hot water before i could feel clean again.

On that note, OP, I hope by your cruise your little one will be much more confident in potty time so they can play to their hearts content! I hate the idea that they might be disappointed!

Unfortunately?! Can you imagine the time and effort to cleaning up what I am sure would be multiple honest accidents per cruise or *shudder* worse if the accidents were not cleaned thoroughly? Eww, makes me not want to go in the pool enough as is! I support their ban on the not potty trained set as I would run the ship out of hot water before i could feel clean again.

On that note, OP, I hope by your cruise your little one will be much more confident in potty time so they can play to their hearts content! I hate the idea that they might be disappointed!

Sorry - meant to say NOT enforced

Phew! I may have read it wrong too. Again OP, best of luck, I promise im not anti-kid, just a touch of a germaphobe.

You don't have to have a phobia to dislike foreign objects in a pool. There is enough risk of noro and other diseases without having babies in a pool doing their business.

As someone whose family found poop on one of the inflatables at Blue Lagoon, which completely grossed us out and did not help the rest of our time there. (and on a different land a vacation, all 3 kids got sick from the pool at hotel in Lake Tahoe), I am glad it is enforced on the ships. As someone above posted, it's easy enough to get sick with so many people in such close quarters, without having to worry about the pool, too.

I know what it's like to have to keep a toddler busy, I have had 3, so I thank the OP for asking this advance! I am sure there will be lots of things for you to find for him/her to do, or you will bring stuff to entertain

We brought an inflatable tub once and used that. But mostly when my son wasn't potty trained..we just did the water stuff at the ports. You can do that..or really crack down on the potty training. If they are ready..you should be able to potty train completely in a week. Key word..is being ready

This is your answer right here. I have heard parents bringing a small inflatable pool. But even with swim diapers on, they aren't allowed in the splash areas or the pools. Most slides would be too big for a toddler that young anyway. 28 months. Ok that's almost 2 1/2. How long do you go by months? lol

I stopped going by months once my children hit 2 years old. ;)

Edited by RTRMom

I have seen the pools drained when a " tootsie roll" was found in the pools. That'll put the end to that pool for at least a day.

We've seen this on a few cruises. Only you know if your child is thoroughly and confidently potty trained. If a child is so distracted by the cruise fun that they miss a potty need and oops in the pool, then the pool is shut down for everyone. Swim diapers may be gathered to keep chunks contained but they aren't sealed to keep germs in. I know it's very difficult to keep your toddler away from water they love so much. I hope you get something worked out.

P.S. Are there still links on-line to Dr Phil's one-day potty training method? That worked for our DD but not for DS. YMMV