How to get from Charles DeGaulle to hotel in Paris

snookie1

Treat yourself, you are coming to Paris for the first time. Get a private transport of some type. They are usually waiting in the area right after you get your luggage with a sign with your name on it.. They do this every day. No problem.

You are spending enough on everything else, it pays to get to there comfortably and stress free.

Just my opinion!

The shuttles are hard to find as CDG IS CONFUSING, with different levels and we have been there many times. They are shared with other travelers many times, and not that much less for two people. You have to call them when you arrive, and I could barely hear them wth all the airport noise inside.

Pickpockets hit the trains and you have to lug around your luggage on it. you then may have to switch to a metro to get to your hotel area. What if it is raining.

The Roissybus is the bus that takes you to the Opera house, for a low price. Then a taxi to your hotel. We use this a lot now that we are familiar with the city. The Airfance bus takes you farther away from the Marais area, I think.

from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Treat yourself, you are coming to Paris for the first time. Get a private transport of some type. They are usually waiting in the area right after you get your luggage with a sign with your name on it.. They do this every day. No problem.

You are spending enough on everything else, it pays to get to there comfortably and stress free.

app

I agree...if the OP is like most of us, they are likely spending somewhere in the area of $5000 -$7500 minimum for the cruise and airfare.

To then try and " save" the extra $100 a private car service would cost that would meet you then take you straight to your hotel after a red eye flight , doesn't make a lot of sense...especially for a first time visitor.

Imagine your excitement of just being able to sit back, and enjoy worry free driving through Paris and catching your first glimpse of the eiffel tower ...wow.

Vs schelping two suitcases each, map and transit info in hand trying to navigate to your hotel...likely exhausted. :eek:

Save that for your NEXT trip to Paris because you will return!

Just my opinion :)

So, any other recommendations for private drivers, for two, from CDG?

Have you asked your hotel? Our hotel recommended a driver and arranged for us upon our approval. After an overnight transatlantic flight the last thing we wanted to do was dealing with public transportation in a place we weren't familiar nor were fluent in the language.

Have you asked your hotel? Our hotel recommended a driver and arranged for us upon our approval. After an overnight transatlantic flight the last thing we wanted to do was dealing with public transportation in a place we weren't familiar nor were fluent in the language.

our hotel sent an offer of services they could arrange for us including museum passes, dinner reservations and transport to and from hotel. Slam dunk...

OP here. I did ask at our hotel, and they said that they could arrange transport from hotel to airport, but not airport to hotel, since "guests are too hard to find". I researched some of the shuttles available from CDG, and common problems I found was that 1) You have to call the shuttle when you arrive, and sometimes no one is answering the phone 2) They make a lot of stops before they get to yours 3) You have to pay before you leave home, and sometimes customers cannot find the shuttle, so they end up taking alternate transportation, and losing the money they paid ahead of time. The ones I researched were the Super Shuttle (43 euros for 2); the Green Shuttle (62 euros), the Paris shuttle (40 euros), and the Paris Blue Shuttle (39 euros). I had originally wanted to avoid a taxi, thinking it would probably be most expensive, but some of you are making a lot of sense, when you point out that we will be travel-weary and that will be money well-spent to avoid the above-mentioned hassles. So my next question is, what is the advantage of a private transport over a taxi? And will taxis be found just outside the baggage claim area? How much would you think it might cost for a ride to the Marais arrondisment? Our hotel said 50euros, but others are saying more. I am really grateful for all the advice here; you are making me rethink the whole issue before we get there!

Snookie...the advantage of using a private service is that you have no worries as there is a set price before you start the trip vs a taxi which may not plus any extra costs for traffic delays( i dont know if Paris has set rates like some cities or not).

When i made arrangements with my hotel for a pick up ( and i know your hotel said they would not do that) I received a confirmation email. It contained the name of our driver and his mobile ph # but not any company name so sorry i cant pass that along.

Our quoted set rate was two people for 80 E from CDG airport to our hotel including luggage ( in Paris they charge extra per bag) from CDG to the St Germaine area so might even be slightly less to Marais...that was in Sept 2012.

My Hubby who likes to save a buck any time he can, never even flinched or asked what it cost..he just sat back and let his jaw drop at seeing Paris for the first time ( I Had been before but it never gets old!)

I did a ton of research on private transfers for my trip last November as I was traveling with a group of family and friends and we do prefer private drivers when possible. There are many less than reputable companies in Paris based on reports on this and other forums.

I asked for a recommendation from the gentleman I rented our apartments from and he was very good. We used them for a total of 7 transfers from two airports and all were seamless.

Contact William at Alma and he will take care of you. contact@alma-limousine.com

Contact William at Alma and he will take care of you. contact@alma-limousine.com

Good recommendation, thanks.

I'm really curious about the "guests are too hard to find" remark. It's the same at any major airport in the world. The driver holds a sign with pax name and stands at designated place. The pax finds him.

Odd, indeed. Perhaps CDG is more confusing than most--I know it has a rep for being a terrible airport.

I suspect we'll just take a cab--last thing I want to have to do is use my cellphone in France.

So, any other recommendations for private drivers, for two, from CDG?

I couldn't find the company we used, but I just googled "Paris shuttles from CDG" and got a lot of hits. Use tripadvisor or expedia to get reviews or opinions.

Most shuttle companies have an option for private pickup also, instead of a shared shuttle. Costs a little more but the driver is right there outside of baggage claim waiting for you. The more popular companies should be very reliable.

from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Paris taxis use the meter, which is why fares can be high during rush hours - the route can be very congested between airport & the center of Paris.

Also, many private transfer services will meet you indoors (eg holding a sign with your name as you exit customs).

The service we used (and that I posted earlier in this thread) met us indoors.

Paris taxis use the meter, which is why fares can be high during rush hours - the route can be very congested between airport & the center of Paris.

Also, many private transfer services will meet you indoors (eg holding a sign with your name as you exit customs).

The service we used (and that I posted earlier in this thread) met us indoors.

Our scheduled arrival is 8 a.m. So rush hour. Good advice, will try this route. I'm just "blocking out" the trip right now, will fill in the details this summer.

Now I have to decide if the Paris Pass is a good deal. I'll start a separate thread on that, perhaps in the River Ports board.