Formal night - everyone should try it once?

dreday3

Thanks everyone!

I appreciate your opinions.

We will pack for the occasion - not a tux/gown, but a suit jacket/tie for Micky, cute cocktail dress for me. We'll look nice, I promise :D).

I'm betting we probably won't decide until that day! :D

Nothing like a good old fashioned dress code thread to get people's undies in a not. :D Just an FYI, you can rent a tux, shoes, and accessories on-board or on-line at: https://tuxedorentals.rccl.com/tuxedo/tuxrental.nsf. That way it's a few less things you need to pack. It comes with two shirts for teo formal nights. I use the website. If you're interested, just print out the measurements form and take it to a men's clothing store. Most will provide a complementary measuring. We have some nice family portraits of everyone dolled up. Almost forgot, they don't charge you until you're on the ship so it goes on your Sea Pass and you can cancel it the first day of the cruise. No matter what you decide, have a great cruise.

Formal night is a personal choice, for us, since we don't get to cruise every year, and we are casual at home 24/7, formal night makes our cruise that more special. They space the formal nights out so if we dress up twice during a 7 day or 3 X's during a 14 day cruise, that isn't alot, rest of nights are casual. The only change I have made, is I don't wear the dresses anymore but black slacks and a fancy top, then change the top for the next one.

That is precisely how I feel. Formal nights are optional participation. As long as someone dresses nice and neat they are welcomed in the MDR (which they have paid for). I'll never understand the people who think if you don't wear a suit that you are showing up in muddy overalls. It's not one extreme or the other. Why do some insist on portraying it that way? Clean, neat, respectable resort casual is perfectly fine all the time. I have no power to tell anyone to go away. I have no power to tell someone to buy clothes they may use once. I may or may not choose to dress formal myself, but I don't have the power to tell others what to do. As a seasoned (nearly 25 years) cruiser I feel it important to give new cruisers not only the benefit of the doubt but to help paint a realistic picture of what to expect.

Another "LIKE"

I have seen the same posts so many times too.

The second someone mentions they don't want to wear a suit and tie. It is automatically assumed (By some people) dirty jeans , cutoff shorts, ripped t shirts, people dirty and stinking.

Really???????? those are the only 2 options?????? *LOL*

I LOVE to dress to the nines. DH HATES to even think about wearing a tie! He does always oblige (for me not other guests) and wear a suit on formal nights if we go to the MDR. I don't "snub" those who don't and he sits thorough dinner being envious of those who don't. ;) On our upcoming April cruise, however, you will see him sporting, not just a tux, but tails! Why????? Not because either of us actually prefer him to wear them, but because he had to buy one for a big Mardi Gras ball in Mobile this year, and dang it, "WE"(meaning me-not him) are going to be sure WE get our money's worth. :)

HOWEVER, for those who insist on "costume de Rigueur", there are cruise lines and ships that may be more suitable (and more costly, I might add) for your consideration. To each his own and - LAISSEZ LES BONS TEMPS ROULER!

:D

Where is the like

I dont understand why some here take it upon themselves to try and enforce a rule that doesnt exist upon people they dont even know, on a cruise they arent even gonna be on.

I've got a theory. Maybe, the men who still wear tuxes are afraid they will be the only ones in the dining room wearing one. :p They have to get their money's worth and it will take quite a while, if you only cruise once or twice a year.

Tuxes aren't cheap, unless you can find one at Goodwill, donated by a retired cruiser. :D

That is precisely how I feel. Formal nights are optional participation. As long as someone dresses nice and neat they are welcomed in the MDR (which they have paid for). I'll never understand the people who think if you don't wear a suit that you are showing up in muddy overalls. It's not one extreme or the other. Why do some insist on portraying it that way? Clean, neat, respectable resort casual is perfectly fine all the time.

We are right there with you guys. So much of these stories are blown way out of proportion. By far, the large majority are dressed just fine. :)

We dress up most of the time, usually I wear my tux. If note at least a coat and tie. If someone else chooses not to, that's OK too.

Dang, we are only missing each other on Freedom by a few weeks :o

Thank you for the kind words. First drink is on me if we ever find ourselves on the same ship :)

I honestly dont come here looking for a fight and try my best to get a long with everyone here. I just cant stand when someone, especially a brand new cruiser, is being told something based on others self imposed rules that dont exist on board. The "go to the windjammer if you dont wear a jacket and tie" is one that really irks me.

Those types of comments/advice frost my stones also!

OP...being you're a first time cruiser, it really is up to you what you want to wear. As has been pointed out, formal wear is seen less and less on cruises, regardless of whet evening you dine. If you want to dress up, you can. Some do. But, these days, the majority wear a dress or pantsuit for women, men wear pants and a collared shirt. That's mostly what you'll see.

As far as special dinners? I don't know that evening dinners in the dining room are "better" or worse from one night to the next.

The big part of why I discontinued packing a suit and the wife packing more formal wear was the fact that after so many cruises, we now know most WAY OVERPACK!

WE can now fit all of our cruise clothes in two carryons, saving extra fees from the airlines and really making it easier to travel. We're always "in style", too.

This was part of my review of my Freedom cruise in my signature block:

Dinner Dress Suggestion in the MDR per the Cruise Compass:

Day 1 Casual (Whatever you wore aboard)

Day 2 – Formal (Monday)

Day 3 – Smart Casual

Day 4 – Tropical Casual

Day 5 – Formal (Thursday)

Day 6 – Casual

Day 7 - Casual

We saw it all in the MDR. We saw men wearing T-shirts, jeans, dress slacks, shorts, button down shirts, Sport Jackets, shoes, sandals, flip flops, sneakers, polo shirts and wearing baseball caps at the table. The only thing I didn’t see were wife beater shirts or swim wear.

Women were wearing dresses, skirts, shorts, skorts, sun dresses, blouses, slacks, pants suits, jeans, dress shoes, sneakers and sandals. The women were however generally dressed much nicer than the men they were with.

Kids wore pretty much the same style of clothing that you would see their parents in.

Formal Nights:

There are two formal nights on this cruise on Monday & Thursday and the style of dress on these nights were men in some Tuxes, suits, shirt and ties, dinner jacket with slacks shirt and tie or with an open colar shirt. Women wore gowns, evening dresses

And………………………………….(Hold onto your seat)……………………..

We saw men wearing T-shirts, jeans, dress slacks, shorts, button down shirts, Sport Jackets, shoes, sandals, flip flops, sneakers, polo shirts and wearing baseball caps at the table. The only thing I didn’t see were wife beater shirts or swim wear.

Women were wearing dresses, skirts, shorts, skorts, sun dresses, blouses, slacks, pants suits, jeans, dress shoes, sneakers and sandals.

There was the “Suggested” clothing for each night in the daily Cruise Compass, but was obvious that RCI is backing away from enforcing the suggested clothing on any given night in the MDR.

As for us, we like to get dressed up on formal nights and have been doing so since our very first cruise, but not because what anyone else is doing or not doing but soley because we like to do it and take the pictures and don't really care if anyone else dresses up for fomal night or not!

On formal nights I bring one suit along with two different shirts and two different ties for a different look on each night. The wife will usually wear a cocktail type of dress on both nights. We put our clothes for fomal night in a garment bag when we fly and have it as one of our carry on's on the plane so that we don't get charged for overweight check on baggage and so the suit, shirt and dresses will be wrinkle free.

We never had a conversation at our tables between us or our tablemates about what anyone had on on the formal nights or any other night for that matter! The only place I have seen it discussed is here on CC. :cool:

Edited by bigque

We think RCI should set aside a dedicated section of the MDR for those want to cluster together for Prom Night. I am on vacation and dressing up is not for me We should be criticized for not complying with an age old cruising ritual that time has pasted by.

Some of our best pictures were taken on a casual dress night. Even barefoot in the photo, in a very relaxed casual scene that is more normal for us. So fun! We have taken 9 cruises and the upcoming one will be the first cruise NOT dressing "formal". I am really looking forward to looking sharp and neat without all the fuss! Enjoy every day being your self. Much more relaxing.

I've got a theory. Maybe' date=' the men who still wear tuxes are afraid they will be the only ones in the dining room wearing one. :p They have to get their money's worth and it will take quite a while, if you only cruise once or twice a year.

Tuxes aren't cheap, unless you can find one at Goodwill, donated by a retired cruiser. :D[/quote']

We think RCI should set aside a dedicated section of the MDR for those want to cluster together for Prom Night. I am on vacation and dressing up is not for me We should be criticized for not complying with an age old cruising ritual that time has pasted by.

Whoa! Let's not hate on all of us tux wearers now. You can wear a barrel for all I care. All I know is the more you dress down, the better I look. ;):D

1f752aff-a9df-4478-9e5d-f07b9abdb465_zpszwo1jytm.jpg

If that's how you feel, I'm sure there are plenty of people who will comply and criticize you. :D

I don't care what you or others wear nor do I care what you or others think of what we wear. So much for my rant! So who is criticizing you if you don't comply with the published MDR dress guidelines? I bet it's not the Cruise line of your choice. If your are impling those on CC they don't count. Everyone has a right to their opinion but that's where it stops. Only the staff standing at the MDR doors that allow you to enter matters. Ya gotta be thicked skin to survive around here. IMO I don't believe the Cruise lines would agree with your recommendation. I don't. Age old cruising ritual that time has passed by. Disagree on that also. If that is true then why do the Cruise lines publish these MRD evening dress guidelines?

Edited by davekathy

What exactly do the formal nights entail? Dressing up, a special dinner (or not?), anything else?

Is it something you suggest we try at least once? (first cruise)

How many formal nights are there? (we will be on a 7 night FOS sailing)

We chose my-time dining, does that make a difference?

Thanks! :D

(I realize everyone's opinion may be different, but that's what I'm looking for, opinions! :) )

It's all a matter of personal opinion but personally this is one of the reasons why we cruise. We have traveled on our own, with friends and with our two teenage daughters. We flew budget airlines and had 3 cases at 15kg each between 4 of us. We managed to get 2 huge prom dresses in, two gowns for me, my husbands tux and a couple of suits together with ordinary summer clothes all in 3 cases at 15 kg each. Our trick was to take the wheely hand luggage cases and pack jeans, shoes and heavy things so you are just up to the limit on checked luggage.

We went to the caribbean on adventure 2 years ago and i had a luggage disaster. We had 25 kg each (2 of us) and i was over the limit plus more whatever i tried packing. I bought extra light cases but it was still over. I cut out loads of shoes and had mix and match shoes with different outfits - totally stressed.

On the morning we left the airport our friends luggage seemed so much fuller and heavier then ours but i waited until we got to the check in desks - i put the cases on the scales and both together only came to 19kg - i had only had our scales on pounds instead of kilos so both of our cases came to less then one persons allowance. On our stopover we even but one of our hand luggage cases and its contents in our case.

I am now the holiday packer extraordinaire and can do a 7 nt cruise with 2 formal gowns, 5 other dresses, shoes, swimwear and day wear for 11 kg!!!

We almost never get dressed up in our regular lives. No one gets dressed up even for weddings or church and especially not for going out to dinner. So, we think it's a fun thing to do on vacation. It's getting more expensive to pack along the "stuff" to get dressed up, but so far we still do at least one of the nights and we always enjoy it.

We usually change back before going to a later show since the formal clothes are not always as comfortable.

It's really fun having an elegant experience occasionally and if I wore a tux to a local fancy restaurant around here they would likely think I was nuts and call the white coat guys on me.

Tom

lol, "prom" night

not judging either way but thats pretty funny, sorry

Originally Posted by Havingfun2010

Most people RESPECT the occasion, and dress like adults, and look presentable for the dinner. Others, will make excuses like, their clothes weigh too much for the airplane, it's my vacation, who cares about others, I wear nice clothes to work, on the ship, I want to wear a t-shirt when the person next to me is wearing a tux etc etc etc.....

Formal night is just that....wear a dress and a jacket and tie. If you don't want to, than the Windjammer serves a good dinner.

By the way, the word "suggested" is just a nice way of saying to please show respect.

I find it disconcerting that there are actually people out there that agree with this narrow-minded viewpoint. Why do some feel it is their solemn duty to impose their personal views on fellow cruisers, especially upon people they do not even know? :confused:

For the last time. one does do not have to "dress up" to eat in the MDR. RCI doesn't care if you "wear a dress and a jacket and tie", just show up and tip the waiters - end of discussion.

im new on the forum and blown away myself of everyone worrying about what everyone else is doing or not doing on a cruise..

my wife and i usually go to the specialty restaurants on formal nights, as everyone is clamoring to get there free lobsters it leaves them empty and we usually have some of the best times with the staff in the specialty places... i actually forgot my suit on like our second or third cruise and its been a tradition weve stuck with...

Edited by Aintnofun007

I've got a theory. Maybe' date=' the men who still wear tuxes are afraid they will be the only ones in the dining room wearing one. :p They have to get their money's worth and it will take quite a while, if you only cruise once or twice a year.

Tuxes aren't cheap, unless you can find one at Goodwill, donated by a retired cruiser. :D[/quote']

I know tuxes are in the minority, but DH bought his over 10 years ago and just wearing 2 to 3 times per cruise, he has gotten more than his money's worth. He looks great, can change it up with vests and ties and it spurred a love of cuff links! And we have great photos!

For those interested (I know most of you aren't) it is a complete MYTH that tuxes are expensive. You can get one for around $100 or a bit more on Overstock or locally for just over $200 at Mens Wearhouse. You can find tons of ties, vests, cuff links for bargains online.

And while I understand many don't want to wear tuxes or gowns, PLEASE don't assume others feel the same. Dress how you want, but please allow those who love the formal tradition to dress to the nines. There are tons of cruise lines without formal nights, so I, for one, pray RCI and X keep this great tradition of formal nights!

I know tuxes are in the minority, but DH bought his over 10 years ago and just wearing 2 to 3 times per cruise, he has gotten more than his money's worth. He looks great, can change it up with vests and ties and it spurred a love of cuff links! And we have great photos!

For those interested (I know most of you aren't) it is a complete MYTH that tuxes are expensive. You can get one for around $100 or a bit more on Overstock or locally for just over $200 at Mens Wearhouse. You can find tons of ties, vests, cuff links for bargains online.

And while I understand many don't want to wear tuxes or gowns, PLEASE don't assume others feel the same. Dress how you want, but please allow those who love the formal tradition to dress to the nines. There are tons of cruise lines without formal nights, so I, for one, pray RCI and X keep this great tradition of formal nights!

Count me in. I bought a tux at Loemans for our second or third cruise back in early 90's. Made in Romania. Jacket a little snug and thank goodness for those adjustable pants. Anyway have worn it on 40+ voyages, first time I skipped was a 3 night enchantment this past December. I only did that because we were doing a S2S on Legend and I had to pack a separate bag for that trip.

I really don't care what others wear, if I stick out, so be it

Happy Cruising

Ditto for my husband. He got his at the men's wear house also. Always brings it. Since he wears it 2-3 times a cruise it actually saves luggage space.

I personally will 'kind of' dress up... no sparkly cocktail dresses in my closet but what I wear to weddings should suffice! My daughter tho will surely want to dress to the teeth! Heck... im sure there is even an old prom dress in the closet - I did not think of that!!!

But for those who complain about others NOT dressing up... how does that diminish YOUR enjoyment? You are there in your tux and look across the room and there is someone with... NO TIE? This ruins YOUR fun? For me the fun is in dressing up myself... not worrying about what others have on! Im not having my picture taken with THEM ...

Personally, last cruise I wrangled my ( less than enthused!! ) husband into his suit coat... HE would have enjoyed himself much more in just a shirt and tie. If I did it again, I would let him relax and wear what made him happy.

I did notice tho, (Im an early seating person) that the folks in the later seating did appear more dressy...

I see that I am in the minority. If there is no need to dress differrently on different nights (or now with the Quantum in different restaurants) why do they state different dress codes (or if you prefer, dress suggestions)?

I love to dress up. I live in a town where LL Bean boots are dress up attire, so it is a special experience for me. I love the way my husband looks in his suit, and it is nice for him to have an occasion other than a funeral to wear it. My husband is also aware that dressing nicely, making an evening special leads to a more romantic evening. I also love to look at everyone else in their finery.

I have posted this on another thread, but one night we did have a whole table next to us dress in track suits on formal night. They looked out of place. Did it spoil my night? No way! Did they look silly? Yes! It was also obvious that thtey had gone to the troube of bringing special jogging suits as they were certainly not joggers and they had to change into them on purpose. Why not just change into khakis, a nice shirt and blazer? Or a sun dress?

What exactly do the formal nights entail? Dressing up, a special dinner (or not?), anything else?

Is it something you suggest we try at least once? (first cruise)

How many formal nights are there? (we will be on a 7 night FOS sailing)

We chose my-time dining, does that make a difference?

Thanks! :D

(I realize everyone's opinion may be different, but that's what I'm looking for, opinions! :) )

In my opinion, I would recommend you try formal night on your cruise. There will be 2 formal nights on your 7 night cruise. You can dress up as much as you like. Also before or after dinner formal photos are taken. You get in line at a photographers station and they snap a few photos. You can go to as many photography stations as you like. The photos are free to get them taken. You can decide later after seeing the photo whether or not you want to purchase prints.

It does not matter what dining room or schedule you have. You can even participate in formal nights if you are dining in a specialty (pay) restaurant. You may notice a lot of people dress up for formal night. Most of the staff on the ship will be in their formal outfits. There usually is a Captain's Gala Reception in the Royal Promenade on the first formal night. It's a special time that you should experience at least once.

The formal night photos make for nice memory keepsakes. Enjoy!