Gratuities going up...minimally

HoopTroop

Yeah I go along with it because I'm not going to penalize these hard workers but whenever someone says don't they deserve tips; no. They deserve better. Nowhere else can I think of where a laundry department relies on tips

It's not a tip, it's a service charge and NCL explains what it's used for here"...are compensated by a combination of salary and incentive programs that your service charge supports":

http://www.ncl.com/faq#service-charge

Why is there a service charge? The reason there's a fixed service charge is an important one: Our Crew (as are the crew from other lines) is encouraged to work together as a team. Staff members including restaurant staff, stateroom stewards and behind-the-scenes support staff are compensated by a combination of salary and incentive programs that your service charge supports.

NCL has a totally separate FAQ explaining tipping.

Anyone who argues service charges and tips are the same needs to think about why you can't use non-refundable OBC to pay the service charges, but you can use it to pay tips. That proves they are two separate and distinct items.

It's not a tip, it's a service charge and NCL explains what it's used for here"...are compensated by a combination of salary and incentive programs that your service charge supports":

Why is there a service charge? The reason there's a fixed service charge is an important one: Our Crew (as are the crew from other lines) is encouraged to work together as a team. Staff members including restaurant staff, stateroom stewards and behind-the-scenes support staff are compensated by a combination of salary and incentive programs that your service charge supports.

Anyone who argues service charges and tips are the same needs to think about why you can't use non-refundable OBC to pay the service charges, but you can use it to pay tips. That proves they are two separate and distinct items.

I agree with you, and yet in the same letter where NCL talks about the DSC increasing they also refer 'gratuities' so even NCL is inconsistent and uses the terms interchangeably.

Much higher?

Not really!

Celebrity

- $12 per person per day in staterooms

- $12.50 per person per day in Concierge Class and AquaClass® staterooms

- $15.50 per person per day in suites

Carnival:

- $12 per person per day

Princess:

- $12 per person per day

Royal

- ??

When will the others follow NCL lead? They try to copy everything else. :rolleyes:

When did Princess go to $12?

If they are two separate things then both are discretionary and if you remove the service charge but tip directly everyone is at the same point and those that are tipped direct can keep their money The NCL letter to me said the daily discretionary charge is a gratuity. On Royal Caribbean they just call it a gratuity. NCL seems to publish contradictory things.

I agree with you, and yet in the same letter where NCL talks about the DSC increasing they also refer 'gratuities' so even NCL is inconsistent and uses the terms interchangeably.

Yes, and it's a poorly written letter for that and other reasons, such as opening the question of whether the butler and concierge now participate in the service charge pool.

Unfortunately, NCL has a history of poorly written communications. If you remember, a recent edition of the Latitudes magazine showed a steak and lobster tail "surf and turf" dish as being available in the MDR, which it is not. For years after NCL ships started docking at Heritage Wharf in Bermuda, NCL insisted they still docked at Kings Wharf. They had inconsistencies in their definition of age for a minor, giving different ages on different documents or pages of their website.

If they are two separate things then both are discretionary and if you remove the service charge but tip directly everyone is at the same point and those that are tipped direct can keep their money The NCL letter to me said the daily discretionary charge is a gratuity. On Royal Caribbean they just call it a gratuity. NCL seems to publish contradictory things.

Yes, their communications have a history of poor wording and inconsistency, and I identified some in my post immediately prior to this one.

Their inconsistency doesn't change the reality of there being two different ways of compensating crew.

The service charge goes into a pool, and we have no idea how it is distributed or to whom. We also have no idea how much goes into crew salary and how much into "incentive programs".

You give a tip directly to the person you wish to reward, and there is no evidence there is any way for NCL to force that individual to involuntarily turn it in to be pooled. How would NCL management know who received cash tips from whom and in what amounts?

By the way, don't misinterpret what I'm saying as implying I'm one of those who removes or reduces their service charge and just tips directly. I don't...I accept the service charge as comprising a significant percentage of the crew's salary, and if service warrants, I tip individuals on top of the service charge.

Some cruise lines...for example Carnival, provide a general breakdown of how their gratuities are distributed:

• Stateroom service team $3.90 per day

• Dining room service team $6.10 per day

• Alternative services team* $2.00 per day

(*galley, entertainment, guest services and other hotel staff members)

Other cruise lines, such as Royal Caribbean, are moving away from that and no longer tell you how it's distributed.

Edited by njhorseman

Yes, and it's a poorly written letter for that and other reasons, such as opening the question of whether the butler and concierge now participate in the service charge pool.

Unfortunately, NCL has a history of poorly written communications. If you remember, a recent edition of the Latitudes magazine showed a steak and lobster tail "surf and turf" dish as being available in the MDR, which it is not. For years after NCL ships started docking at Heritage Wharf in Bermuda, NCL insisted they still docked at Kings Wharf. They had inconsistencies in their definition of age for a minor, giving different ages on different documents or pages of their website.

I'm glad I read this post. I thought NCL was more together

I'm glad I read this post. I thought NCL was more together

They're not vertry together in their communications or their telephone customer service (but I could make the same comment about most companies' telephone customer service).

Fortunately, for the most part things function on the ship much better than they apparently do in the corporate office. If they didn't we wouldn't still be cruising on NCL.

Poor communication indeed. We got an email about it and it really shouldn't apply to us - we are booked under the ALLIN package which the DSCs are included. Of course now for peace of mind, I'll have to call them to make sure we won't be charged when we get on board.

On a more positive note, the email actually had my name on it instead of the "Dear _" multiple emails I have gotten from my very personalized PCC! I love being referred to as a blank! :-)

I find it absolutely amazing how threads like this bring out the miser in so many. We as cruisers have so much that we can afford the luxury of a cruise vacation. Yet, a topic like this puts people into hoard mode.

The service charges have not changed in 5 years and so many are up in arms. I am willing to bet that those same people have received a number of raises in that same period of time. And don't give me the "NCL is the employer and should pay a fair wage" excuse. If the fares went up enough to cover the service charges being included, along with NCL's increased tax burden, the outcry would be deafening. This is the cruise lines (all of them) business model and it has worked out well for many many years.

I'm sorry, but none of us has the right to question someone else's value of money. Many people save up for years to get to cruise; what is insignificant to you may be very important to someone else. It's not about being a miser, it's real world finances. Many of us haven't received raises in the last 5 years; that is a fact.

To clarify the increase thread, I spoke with a Norwegian representative on 2/11/2015 @7:30pm CST and was told the following: If the cruise is already booked with a down payment, the current daily services charges are locked in. Any cruise booked AFTER February 28, 2015 will have the charges increased to the new levels. Hope this answers the questions.

So book now for the lower gratuity rate.

Thanks for posting but that is not what the e-mail I got from NCL says. it says that if you have a cruise booked you may prepay gratuities prior to March 1, 2015 at the prevailing rate. The rate will go up for all sailings starting March 1, and any unpaid gratuities at that time will be charged at the new rate, no matter when the cruise was booked or paid.

Called yesterday. Added prepaid gratuity onto my reservation for the BA haven in October. Sent me a new invoice with the 12 per day on it and can pay in June when final payment is due.

If prepaid after final payment or on ship would have been the 14.95 per day

Thanks for posting but that is not what the e-mail I got from NCL says. it says that if you have a cruise booked you may prepay gratuities prior to March 1, 2015 at the prevailing rate. The rate will go up for all sailings starting March 1, and any unpaid gratuities at that time will be charged at the new rate, no matter when the cruise was booked or paid.

That's not what my email says....

I guess you could if you think it's a smart thing to give your money to the cruiseline 10 months in advance in order to save .95 pp pd

Ncl is going to get many pax to part with their money long before needed in order to save .95 pp pd

Um ok but from a business standpoint Ncl cash reserves will increase nicely this month whereas they wouldn't have had they not offered this incentive to pax

Probably a big payment due to the shipbuilder or quarterly Insurance and/or taxes due

Ncl is smart they are using the old OPM ( other people's money) method

They are just raising some quick cash in the next 2 weeks without borrowing it by offering this incentive. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Depending on the circumstances, yes, it is a smart thing which is why I pre-paid my DSC this morning. 14 night cruise in June so 5 months early by pre-paying cost me maybe $1 in interest income but saved me about $27 in increased DSC costs so I'm ahead by $26 (or 3 foofoo drinks in my wife's words). That's pretty damn smart. :)

Hi. I didnt read through every thread and have a question.

I have 10 people in the Haven area on Breakaway. My mom is paying for all so does that mean if she pre pays the grat we keep the original price as of this month and not pay the increase? We tip cash in Haven but only right now asking about the pre paid gratuities.

Thank you

Hi. I didnt read through every thread and have a question.

I have 10 people in the Haven area on Breakaway. My mom is paying for all so does that mean if she pre pays the grat we keep the original price as of this month and not pay the increase? We tip cash in Haven but only right now asking about the pre paid gratuities.

Thank you

Yes, if you prepay the service charges now you won't have to pay the higher rate. (At least that's what the emails some people received are saying.)