Gratuities going up...minimally

HoopTroop

I hope NCL makes as much money as possible. They have shareholders they are responsible to for generating revenue. It's a business, not a charity.

Profits equals improvements to the fleet and jobs, not just on board but support positions at corporate and for the many smaller companies that support them.

If you don't want to pay it in advance, don't. Fine. If you do, knock yourself out. Does anyone really care one way or the other how someone pays their DSC?

If you were in my situation with a cruise 22 months away would you prepay?

I don't know anything about your situation (except when your cruise is), so how can I (or anyone else) say?

I only know my own financial situation, and that with current interest rates, money in the bank is earning bupkes.

Each cruiser needs to make the pre-payment decision for herself.

I certainly would, as I have done with my booking for next year that is 18 months away (prepaid when I booked the cruise).

And in 16 months time, when I make my final payment, NCL will get the money. For the next 16 months, I and NCL will have exactly the same amount of money in our accounts as if I hadn't prepaid.

A number of people on these boards have confirmed that they have proved NCL to prepay and it has been added to their final payment, but there is a slight doubt as one person reported differently. If I hadn't already prepaid then I would at least phone NCL and ask if they would require immediate payment or if it would be added to final payment. If it needed paying now then I wouldn't bother, and wait until much nearer the time before then prepaying (as the emails from NCL direct to customers don't have a deadline for prepayment anyway).

Edited by KeithJenner

Depends on how many days the cruise is and how many people.

We take long cruises.

28 days for two people = A savings of over $50 if prepaid.

33 days, = a savings of over $60.

So yes, we would prepay DSC for cruise of that length even if they were that far off.

Prepaid DSC is refundable if cruise is cancelled.

Edited by NMLady

I certainly would, as I have done with my booking for next year that is 18 months away (prepaid when I booked the cruise).

And in 16 months time, when I make my final payment, NCL will get the money. For the next 16 months, I and NCL will have exactly the same amount of money in our accounts as if I hadn't prepaid.

A number of people on these boards have confirmed that they have proved NCL to prepay and it has been added to their final payment, but there is a slight doubt as one person reported differently. If I hadn't already prepaid then I would at least phone NCL and ask if they would require immediate payment or if it would be added to final payment. If it needed paying now then I wouldn't bother, and wait until much nearer the time before then prepaying (as the emails from NCL direct to customers don't have a deadline for prepayment anyway).

I can confirm this as well.

We called our PCC today and added the "Prepaid Service Charges" for two cruises. We don't have to actually pay anything yet.

For our December 2015 cruise, we will pay our "Prepaid Service Charge" in Sept together with our final payment.

For the August 2016 cruise, we will pay our "Prepaid Service Charge" with in June 2016 with our final payment.

We called our PCC today and added the "Prepaid Service Charges" for two cruises. We don't have to actually pay anything yet.

For our December 2015 cruise, we will pay our "Prepaid Service Charge" in Sept together with our final payment.

For the August 2016 cruise, we will pay our "Prepaid Service Charge" with in June 2016 with our final payment.

This is exactly what I posted way back on post #265. It was quickly shot down by all the conspiracy theorist who firmly believe that NCL is trying pull a fast one.

I was told the details of the DSC change by my longtime PCC. She read the email from her supervisor to me which completely outlined the new DSC and the policies regarding the pre-payment of said fees. I believe my PCC completely and trust her fully. She has never steered me wrong for the many years I have been working with.

This certainly makes sense as it is an option

To hand over cash when the above is an option makes no sense

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

As far as I can determine, according to SeaShark's definitions, NCL's DSC is a TIP or GRATUITY, and NOT a service charge. The most important consideration is that pax DO have an unrestricted right to pay or not pay DSC, or adjust the amount, etc. It's right in our cruise contract.

I think NCL is pulling a "fast one," albeit of the short con variety, in pretending that I have ANY obligation to increase my contribution to their DSC AFTER I've made a contract with them by paying a deposit (and especially after I've made final payment). As many have noted the increase is fairly trivial, in which case NCL should have bit the proverbial bullet and foregone that trivial extra revenue FROM PEOPLE WHO HAVE ALREADY BOOKED.

As far as I can determine, according to SeaShark's definitions, NCL's DSC is a TIP or GRATUITY, and NOT a service charge. The most important consideration is that pax DO have an unrestricted right to pay or not pay DSC, or adjust the amount, etc. It's right in our cruise contract.

I think NCL is pulling a "fast one," albeit of the short con variety, in pretending that I have ANY obligation to increase my contribution to their DSC AFTER I've made a contract with them by paying a deposit (and especially after I've made final payment). As many have noted the increase is fairly trivial, in which case NCL should have bit the proverbial bullet and foregone that trivial extra revenue FROM PEOPLE WHO HAVE ALREADY BOOKED.

I suppose if they raised the price of a beer by 50 cents or a shore excursion by $5 after you booked, you'd expect to be exempt from those increases too. Sorry, but you're wrong, none of those prices are part of the contract.

There's a very simple solution. Don't buy beer, don't take the shore excursion and lower your service charge by the amount of the increase.

There's a very simple solution....lower your service charge by the amount of the increase.

Which is what I intend to do. I'm an early riser and some morning while my significant other is sleeping off her UBP :D, I'll drop by the CS desk and have them remove the extra $0.95 ppd. Should I encounter even a hint of resistance, I'll have them remove it all.

I simply don't understand why anybody would support NCL's attempt to unilaterally increase the price of a cruise already booked.

Which is what I intend to do. I'm an early riser and some morning while my significant other is sleeping off her UBP :D, I'll drop by the CS desk and have them remove the extra $0.95 ppd. Should I encounter even a hint of resistance, I'll have them remove it all.

I simply don't understand why anybody would support NCL's attempt to unilaterally increase the price of a cruise already booked.

The service charge is not covered by your contract and the amount is guaranteed until you've actually paid it. Your protest will only hurt the crew, it won't affect corporate at all.

Edited by sparks1093

I actually agree with you that I think they should have increased the price of the DSC for all cruises booked after a certain date (without the prepay thing), I have to disagree that they have increased the price of the cruise. The price is still the same and it is one of the additional costs which has been increased.

I would also point out that your suggestion wouldn't satisfy everyone anyway. There is at least one person on here who has stated on a number of occasions that he believes it is unfair if people pay different amounts based on when they booked.

I'm not supporting the way NCL have handled this, or opposing it. Just recognising that whatever they do there will be people complaining that they did it that way. Whilst I think that it would have been best to do it the way you suggest, I think that what they have done (using prepayment to avoid the increase) isn't unreasonable.

Uh yeah, it's painfully obvious that you don't understand some things.

Thank you for not addressing my point by taking my words out of context and omitting most of what I wrote.

I hope you're also not going to buy a drink or take any shore excursions if their prices increase after you booked. But something tells me that won't be the case, which will make it clear that you're just interested in stiffing the crew out of their wages over a $.95 per day increase.

By the way, does any business do anything other than unilaterally increase their prices? Last I checked, customers don't initiate the price increases, businesses do. No customer "supports" price increases, but most accept them as necessary from time to time.

May be a bit off topic but only stayed in the Haven once on a free upgarde. Now have booked again and am wondering what do those who have stayed there think is an appropriate gratuity for the Butler and Concierge. Also do you tip the stateroom attendent more and what about the courtyard waiter? Thanks!

Edited by Whitnee1

May be a bit off topic but only stayed in the Haven once on a free upgarde. Now have booked again and am wondering what do those who have stayed there think is an appropriate gratuity for the Butler and Concierge. Also do you tip the stateroom attendent more and what about the courtyard waiter? Thanks!

Starting a discussion about tipping the butler or the concierge is like opening another can of worms.

Here's more threads than you're willing to read about the subject:

Google search: butler OR concierge tipping

Edited by Demonyte

This is exactly what I posted way back on post #265. It was quickly shot down by all the conspiracy theorist who firmly believe that NCL is trying pull a fast one.

I was told the details of the DSC change by my longtime PCC. She read the email from her supervisor to me which completely outlined the new DSC and the policies regarding the pre-payment of said fees. I believe my PCC completely and trust her fully. She has never steered me wrong for the many years I have been working with.

Same here -- if you are not yet at final payment, you can lock in the current DSC rate WITHOUT paying over any of the DSC until final payment. I just spoke with our PCC re our cruise in early 2016; he merely added the DSC to our invoice as "pre-paid" at the current rate, to be paid at final payment, and he sent me the new invoice to confirm it.

Folks who are accusing NCL of doing something nefarious here have totally missed the (very large) boat.

I don't think anyone is complaining!! I can only speak for myself. I can do a lot with my $28. Some in my family call me cheap. I call it being frugal. I will prepay earlier than expected, because my 14 year old who thinks that I have deep pockets, knows the secret menu at Starbucks, while I make my coffee at home each morning. Heck I just want to know why NCL just didn't make the new fee a nice round number:rolleyes:

Thanks for the information. Just when I think I have learned enough from cc, I find something new.

I agree with you Bird in Jersey - as a TA, my first thought was -- why not $13 and $15. Weird! By the way - you can prepay by 2/28 and get the current rate. But, as one poster indicated, seems the website is unable to accommodate that right now, so you may have to call NCL. Or - if you booked through a TA, they can handle it!

But I don't think you have to. I've prepaid ours, but all that means is that it is added to final payment. Someone on this thread confirmed that is the case in the US if you phone up to do it.

Calling my TA now and think this is correct. I believe it always is just added to our final bill.

My mom is taking 10 of all, all staying in the Haven, so this will save her a good amount of money I believe.

Thank you.

Edited by js

I called my TA and my gratuities were already included in our final balance that we owe. ($12 per person = $84 per person)

My mom is taking 10 of all, all staying in the Haven, and we also all give cash to both concierges and butler.

This saved $206.50 for 10 people. Anything helps.

Thank you OP.

OMG, I'm sure you'll have them shaking in their shoes! :rolleyes:

Something which may be of interest to those of us from the UK. Apparently the DSC will be increasing to £8.50 from 1st March, which obviously takes into account the fluctuation in exchange rate since it was last set. As has been stated many times before, the current rate of £7.00 applies if paid (or added to the final payment) before 1st March.

Something which may be of interest to those of us from the UK. Apparently the DSC will be increasing to £8.50 from 1st March, which obviously takes into account the fluctuation in exchange rate since it was last set. As has been stated many times before, the current rate of £7.00 applies if paid (or added to the final payment) before 1st March.

I had a feeling that would happen. It makes quite an increase, and probably negates the benefit of prepaying in the future.

The freestyle choice promo encouraged us to book next years cruises early, which has the added benefit that we're locked in at the old rate, so I'm quite pleased with that.

I think the small increase in DSC is reasonable, however I have had no email or any other correspondence in this regard. I can't find any mention of the increase on the UK website.

I'm wondering if this is not actually going to be applied to UK nationals, at least those of us who already have a contract.

This may be fair, as we don't benefit from any price drops. If it does apply, that's fine, I certainly wouldn't begrudge the hard working staff their little extra.