"Dancing of the Ships" Speculation

cruisexlife

I doubt they would even worry about moving Pride there, but they have the chartered cruise out of Tampa and have to have a ship there. Cruises out of Long Beach consistently cost more than cruises out of FL, so why would take a higher money maker out of the equation for so long? Yes Baltimore is a big money maker too, but it is easier to transfer the ship there for a little while than it is for the west coast.

This makes the most sense to me (and someone earlier in this thread mentioned it) - a large group has a charter out of Tampa on Feb. 5th, 2017 and their advertising indicate the Miracle is the ship they will be on. However, if Carnival cannot guarantee Miracle, another Spirit class (Pride) could be potentially substituted. So, temporarily move the Pride to Tampa to cover the eventuality that Miracle cannot be there in February 2017 for that charter but only keep it there for two months then back to Baltimore. Isn't all this speculation fun? ;)

Am I the only one wondering what Carnival is doing in the Northeast? Royal has the Anthem year-round, and Norwegian has the Breakaway year-round and the Gem in the summer. I understand Pride stays all winter (at least, that's what we thought :rolleyes:) but Grandeur stays the full winter. With the Journey cruises becoming more and more popular, I wonder if maybe Splendor or a ship with a covered pool could resume year-round cruises, maybe on a 10/10/8 schedule. A 10 night to San Juan, St.Kitts, Antigua, St.Thomas and Grand Turk with 4 sea days seems plausible. The sea day before the first port and the sea day after the last one would have hot enough weather for sunning, and the Splendor is actually built for all-weather cruising, so the cold sea days could have many activities inside. And as long as the 8 night wasn't to Canaveral-Freeport-Nassau, the cruise would be worth doing, with temps in the 80's-90's. A schedule like the Norwegian Gem's could make a 7 night work (Freeport subbing as the private island stop) for school break times. Am I the only one who feels like Carnival is completely slacking in the New York and now Baltimore market?

I don't think Carnival really cares about the NY market. They have had ships there and had to pull them because they couldn't sail full at the price that Carnival wanted. Plus unless you live really close to there, why would you want to cruise out of NY and endure several cold days while sailing south? Most people would fly to Florida and cruise from there vs NY.

I don't think Carnival really cares about the NY market. They have had ships there and had to pull them because they couldn't sail full at the price that Carnival wanted. Plus unless you live really close to there, why would you want to cruise out of NY and endure several cold days while sailing south? Most people would fly to Florida and cruise from there vs NY.

But the thing many don't realize is that there aren't ice caps floating in the water until Grand Turk is in the distance and they suddenly disappear. Let's say it's 20 degrees in New York around 4 while departing on Monday. On Tuesday at 4 at sea, it's around 45. On Wednesday around 4 at sea, it's about 80. And then on Thursday in San Juan it's a consistent 85-90. And it drops the same on the last day.

You also must think about the people who will be doing a 10 night cruise. Most will be retired, some too old for flights. Some are purposefully looking for a long time at sea. Some are very high standing loyalty members and have pretty much done all there is to offer and rather than flying to do the same thing, they can just drive. Some just like being at sea and the easiest way works. And a lot of these people live in the Northeast. So being able to drive is very convenient. Many from Ohio will make the 7 hour drive for a cruise. Flights can be outrageous and in the winter you run the risk of a cancelled or delayed flight, and unless you live near a very popular international airport, you will most likely be changing planes, doubling your chances. Need a hotel? Need transfers? Cruising from Florida for 7 days will actually cost more than cruising from the north, if the price is right, which it usually is. And for days in the heat, unless you add hotel stays, a 10 night from NY will have the same days in the heat as a 7 night from Florida.

While we're dreaming... I'd LOVE for Carnival to sail out of San Francisco :)

Me too... I would love for Carnival to sail out of San Francisco I would also love for them to give the west coast some of the newer ships. Dreaming..I'm sure. I cruise out of Seattle, Long Beach, San Diego, and Vancouver BC and wish we could get some of the nicer ships.

Me too... I would love for Carnival to sail out of San Francisco I would also love for them to give the west coast some of the newer ships. Dreaming..I'm sure. I cruise out of Seattle, Long Beach, San Diego, and Vancouver BC and wish we could get some of the nicer ships.

I was recently thinking why they don't have an long Hawaii or Mexican Riviera cruises from San Francisco. I would love to cruise from SF! :D

I would love for the Valor to come to Long Beach!! We don't need two ships doing the same 3/4 day itineraries! It would be nice that the inspiration continues its 3-4 day itineraries and for the Imagination to do 4-5 day cruises to Cabo from either SD or LB! I have my fingers crossed Carnival sends a bigger Nicer ship here to Long Beach! Miracle in Tampa would be perfect they need a ship since the Pride will be leaving Tampa soon to Baltimore

I have said this same thing....PLEASE send the west coast a nicer, newer ship. We will be on the Miracle out of Long Beach in November and are excited, but we have already been on Miracle. It just seems like the west coast always has the the same older ships. We never get the new exciting ones that everyone raves about.

I have said this same thing....PLEASE send the west coast a nicer, newer ship. We will be on the Miracle out of Long Beach in November and are excited, but we have already been on Miracle. It just seems like the west coast always has the the same older ships. We never get the new exciting ones that everyone raves about.

Tell me about it!! I know they would never send one of the newer dream class ships, BUT at least bring the Splendor back!! I feel like starting the hashtag #BringSplendorHome LOL. And we don't need 2 Fantasy class ships doing the same EXACT itineraries, either spice it up a little or send one to a new port such as SF or SD!

The placed the Splendor there when she was brand new, and then had to discount rooms pretty deeply to fill the ship. They also had to sail her around South America (and back) to get her there. They won't be doing that again. You will get another shot at the Splendor once the new canal is operational.

Tell me about it!! I know they would never send one of the newer dream class ships, BUT at least bring the Splendor back!! I feel like starting the hashtag #BringSplendorHome LOL. And we don't need 2 Fantasy class ships doing the same EXACT itineraries, either spice it up a little or send one to a new port such as SF or SD!

It would be nice if they moved one to SD and ran 4 day Cabo, 3 day Ensenada itinerary.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

It would be nice if they moved one to SD and ran 4 day Cabo, 3 day Ensenada itinerary.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I wondered why they stopped that. Do they really fill up both the Inspiration and Imagination every week all year? I wonder if one day they would move one over to San, maybe shuffle between 3/4 days and 4/5 days.

It would be nice to have either Imagination/Inspiration have a 5 day to Cabo cruise mixed in with the current itineraries.

The only problem is that the Long Beach facility can only hold one ship at a time. Miracle has Saturdays, Inspiration has Mondays and Fridays, and Imagination has Thursdays and Sundays. No ship has Tuesday or Wednesday. Inspiration could go from Wednesday to Monday, and then have a 2 night to Ensenada to even the schedule out. Imagination could go from Tuesday to Sunday, and then have a 2 night to even the schedule out. I guess Carnival thinks with the odd dates the 2 night would sell well enough. Maybe a charter could pull through?

Edited by cruisexlife

They could arrange it to avoid the other days. Friday-Wed, Wed-Mon, and then add the 3 and 4 day cruises to make them work. Maybe both ships could do them so it would be easier to avoid just Saturday with the Miracle.

You're right, they could. In the end, you know they are going to do whatever will bring them the most money, so if that would bring the most money, it would already be done. I just don't see how they manage to fill 4100 up for a 4 night, and then 4100 more up for a 3 day, in addition to 2200 for a 7 day, every week, all year. Especially since the prices are 90% of the time the same for either cruise.

One of the things that had me stuck during this dancing was what Fantasy would be doing after her last cruise from Miami in November 2016. Now that the Mobile announcement has been made, I have a feeling that she will be returning to the port. The contract signing and official press release where we will learn the details will be later this month.

I feel like Fantasy is a good choice. The ship holds 2050, which Carnival can sell nicely, especially in an area that used to have only Carnival. Maybe a short drydock or refit would help, and she would be perfect for the area. The only problems I'm seeing are flights and itineraries. Mobile Airport only has hub-connecting flights, which usually entails higher prices and longer flight times. It also does not have Southwest Airlines, a very important airline for many around the country. Look at Fort Lauderdale/Miami, Baltimore, Houston, New Orleans, LA, etc. I feel like many will have problems with the flights. Like Galveston, I understand that most of the people drive for the cruise, but there still are those who will fly. Also, itineraries? If it's the Progreso/Cozumel route then in my opinion it's not effective. Maybe reopen the port of Calica? Or do a 10AM arrival in Costa Maya and Cozumel?

But other than that, I am SO excited for the return to Mobile! :D

One of the things that had me stuck during this dancing was what Fantasy would be doing after her last cruise from Miami in November 2016. Now that the Mobile announcement has been made, I have a feeling that she will be returning to the port. The contract signing and official press release where we will learn the details will be later this month.

I feel like Fantasy is a good choice. The ship holds 2050, which Carnival can sell nicely, especially in an area that used to have only Carnival. Maybe a short drydock or refit would help, and she would be perfect for the area. The only problems I'm seeing are flights and itineraries. Mobile Airport only has hub-connecting flights, which usually entails higher prices and longer flight times. It also does not have Southwest Airlines, a very important airline for many around the country. Look at Fort Lauderdale/Miami, Baltimore, Houston, New Orleans, LA, etc. I feel like many will have problems with the flights. Like Galveston, I understand that most of the people drive for the cruise, but there still are those who will fly. Also, itineraries? If it's the Progreso/Cozumel route then in my opinion it's not effective. Maybe reopen the port of Calica? Or do a 10AM arrival in Costa Maya and Cozumel?

But other than that, I am SO excited for the return to Mobile! :D

Great news especially for the folks in the area and regionally too. I would expect Mobile will have a very high percentage of drive/cruise folks. Like you said some will fly, but with the limited flights the prices would be higher than average compared to a larger market.

I didn't follow cruise pricing when Carnival was last in Mobile, so have no idea if the cruise prices from there were high or low compared to other ports. If Carnival can fill up the ship without doing major discounting the patronage of the ship will be more local/regional folks. If not and they have to put the ship on sale at times, will bring in folks from farther away, and will compete with other ports in the region.

We will see what happens. Thanks for the post.

Great news especially for the folks in the area and regionally too. I would expect Mobile will have a very high percentage of drive/cruise folks. Like you said some will fly, but with the limited flights the prices would be higher than average compared to a larger market.

I didn't follow cruise pricing when Carnival was last in Mobile, so have no idea if the cruise prices from there were high or low compared to other ports. If Carnival can fill up the ship without doing major discounting the patronage of the ship will be more local/regional folks. If not and they have to put the ship on sale at times, will bring in folks from farther away, and will compete with other ports in the region.

We will see what happens. Thanks for the post.

The last time I cruised from

Mobile I paid $956 for an upper/lower for a 5 night west Caribbean

I've been holding out, waiting to see if the Miracle was indeed coming back through the Canal.

The specialty travel company who organized the charter that's been listed for the Miracle has changed its marketing over to the Pride. Ahh well...... :(

I've been holding out, waiting to see if the Miracle was indeed coming back through the Canal.

The specialty travel company who organized the charter that's been listed for the Miracle has changed its marketing over to the Pride. Ahh well...... :(

That's too bad. I was waiting for a Panama Canal transit too. :(

I think we all assumed, with the Pride moving to Tampa for a couple of months (and it's schedule blanked out during that 2/5-14/2017 time period) that the charter would be using Pride versus Miracle, however I didn't know BN had officially changed their advertising to the Pride. I guess that pretty much wipes out a Miracle (and possibly Splendor) Canal transit in early 2017. :( I hate to say it this on this forum, but maybe we'll have to look to Princess (or maybe HAL, once their 2017 schedules come out) for a Canal transit cruise in 2017.

Edited by joepeka

I think we all assumed, with the Pride moving to Tampa for a couple of months (and it's schedule blanked out during that 2/5-14/2017 time period) that the charter would be using Pride versus Miracle, however I didn't know BN had officially changed their advertising to the Pride. I guess that pretty much wipes out a Miracle (and possibly Splendor) Canal transit in early 2017. :( I hate to say it this on this forum, but maybe we'll have to look to Princess (or maybe HAL, once their 2017 schedules come out) for a Canal transit cruise in 2017.

The last time I checked it was still the Miracle and I had hoped they were just keeping their options open. I just went to check after reading this and it does now say the Pride. :(. I was really hoping for a Transit.

The last time I checked it was still the Miracle and I had hoped they were just keeping their options open. I just went to check after reading this and it does now say the Pride. :(. I was really hoping for a Transit.

Just for those two months. This is a temporary move.