CC'ers in Boston..... Are you Booking?

sail7seas

ANOTHER 12 - 18" of snow predicted for Saturday into Sunday. It is unimaginable.

Anyone here who had no plans to travel south to cruise or just a land vacation changed their mind and are now booking? :D :D

I wonder if many cruises have filled up with Bostonians. :D

Uuuggggg. I heard this on tv this morning. Brutal. This has been the first winter in a while where we haven't had a ton of snow ( she says with her fingers crossed). That said, we got dumped on in September and some people I know found that funny. Snow is never funny. Good luck to you.

Edited by cruz chic

We're up here for family business and it's been brutal for the past month. We don't leave for over 2 weeks now and the weather is bitter. What softens the blow though, is that Patriots won and we are going on a cruise soon with family.

Well, we're from Rockport, and while we only WISH we were packing our bags and heading south, I can tell you this weather has changed our outlook on our next cruise! Somehow, right now, going to Alaska in May just doesn't have the appeal that it did when we booked it a few months ago! :p Stay safe, New Englanders. Today was Red Sox Truck day… spring MUST be around the corner! :D

Right now I'm getting heavy snow outside my window. They had said it would be a small snow shower with a 'dusting'..... this is No dusting. :D

On one hand, I'm glad I'm not heading south as I would be stressed about flight cancellations and long waits in airports but on the other hand, would be nice to be packing to go.

ANOTHER 12 - 18" of snow predicted for Saturday into Sunday. It is unimaginable.

Anyone here who had no plans to travel south to cruise or just a land vacation changed their mind and are now booking? :D :D

I wonder if many cruises have filled up with Bostonians. :D

Sail,

I feel for you, but it is hard as we have far more snow than you now.

We have literally no place left to put the snow. My banks where I dig a path for the dogs to get outside are now over 8 feet high!

We have had states of emergency in our area because of it. Emergency vehicles haven't been able to get up streets.

It's cleared as best it can be but it's risky and dangerous and there is another huge one on it's way.

Trust me - you are not alone and the only place with snow.

Uuuggggg. I heard this on tv this morning. Brutal. This has been the first winter in a while where we haven't had a ton of snow ( she says with her fingers crossed). That said, we got dumped on in September and some people I know found that funny. Snow is never funny. Good luck to you.

You went cruising at the right time for sure :)

I was watching the news and checked with a friend I was worried about out your way -they were hip deep in snow in their driveway and it was -39

I wish I had your timing for cruises ;)

Sail,

I feel for you, but it is hard as we have far more snow than you now.

We have literally no place left to put the snow. My banks where I dig a path for the dogs to get outside are now over 8 feet high!

We have had states of emergency in our area because of it. Emergency vehicles haven't been able to get up streets.

It's cleared as best it can be but it's risky and dangerous and there is another huge one on it's way.

Trust me - you are not alone and the only place with snow.

I feel for you, no doubt.

This current snow we are getting is going to gain strength over the ocean, from what I have heard, and I suspect it is headed your way.

We also have had State of Emergency called and all traffic off the roads last week except for emergency and critical workers. Government Offices were closed for days and the kids will be going to school through vacations to make up for all the snow days they lost classes. Streets are ridiculously narrow as all the snow is piled high on the sides. Sidewalks in many places are unusable and it's dangerous walking in the streets. Our whole rail system of trains and public transit was shut down entirely for a day and a half......... Groan, the list goes on.

It is very creepy for me being alone in the house for the first time in my life having such a hard winter. I'm so fortunate some wonderful plow men/roofers have helped me get all that snow off my roofs and driveway. I had men on my roofs twice this week literally shoveling them clean. There were drifts over 8' + and I worried about roof collapse.

I'm happy I'm not coping with the anxiety of airports. :D But I sure will think about it when all this snow ceases.

Edited by sail7seas

This current snow we are getting is going to gain strength over the ocean, from what I have heard, and I suspect it is headed your way.

We also have had State of Emergency called and all traffic off the roads last week except for emergency and critical workers. Government Offices were closed for days and the kids will be going to school through vacations to make up for all the snow days they lost classes. Streets are ridiculously narrow as all the snow is piled high on the sides. Sidewalks in many places are unusable and it's dangerous walking in the streets. Our whole rail system of trains and public transit was shut down entirely for a day and a half......... Groan, the list goes on.

It is very creepy for me being alone in the house for the first time in my life having such a hard winter. I'm so fortunate some wonderful plow men/roofers have helped me get all that snow off my roofs and driveway. I had men on my roofs twice this week literally shoveling them clean. There were drifts over 8' + and I worried about roof collapse.

I'm happy I'm not coping with the anxiety of airports. :D But I sure will think about it when all this snow ceases.

I hear you.

We have been getting "cabin fever" hunkered down for so many days. Bathtub filled, thermoses of hot water, etc. in case we lose power. It is so tiresome.

One of the reasons as much as we would love to get outta' here in the winter, it is just so difficult to count on. I'll wait for April and cross my fingers that the storms will have stopped.

Sadly they didn't last year and we had to change our flights and pay $ as if you wait for the airlines to get with it, there's no seats left.

it's just an uggher winter all around.

And you're right, what we are getting is going to be a real doozy. We might escape tomorrow (doubt it - the forecasters are never right). But Saturday/Sunday there will be no escape at all and it is NOT going to be pretty.

According to Huskerchick, our pool was about 80% New Englanders today. There are some people who are stuck in Fort Lauderdale, although they don't seem to mind.

Not a New Englander but we Canadians really hate you rubbing it in :p;):D

If we could be there, we would.

The snowbirds picked the right year. I don't remember a winter like this in decades. We've already set a record for 60 years. I suspect by the time we are done we will have set a totally new record.

How miserable for you, but you are managing well!

And to think I complain about the rain!

Edited by SilvertoGold

To the OP----we live in the Northeast. It's winter. It snows. Sometimes it snows a lot. We learn to suck it up and live with it. Moaning about it isn't going to change a thing. It will be spring in about six weeks. Be patient.

To the OP----we live in the Northeast. It's winter. It snows. Sometimes it snows a lot. We learn to suck it up and live with it. Moaning about it isn't going to change a thing. It will be spring in about six weeks. Be patient.

I respectfully submit that it is perfectly appropriate to talk about the weather conditions of historic proportions that one is experiencing. I didn't feel that Sail was "moaning" about it but talking about how it was impacting her.

Hope everyone, including you in NB, make it through all this safely.

LC

Sadly, our next cruise isn't until April, and it isn't clear that we'll survive until then. They're gonna find our frozen bodies like those sailors from the Franklin expedition on Beechy Island a few years ago. We're thinking of turning to burning cruise brochures for heat -- fortunately, there are sooooo many of them!

Why limit the question to Bostonians, though?

All of New England and eastern Canada has been dealing with snow, snow, and more snow. Many of us would like to get out, but can't for one reason or another. Even Innlady missed her flight out. Fortunately, she had a few days wiggle-room, and was lucky enough to get another flight. Now, looks getting back again might be another problem. ;)

I respectfully submit that it is perfectly appropriate to talk about the weather conditions of historic proportions that one is experiencing. I didn't feel that Sail was "moaning" about it but talking about how it was impacting her.

Hope everyone, including you in NB, make it through all this safely.

LC

I respectfully say we are all impacted by weather of historic proportions in this area. Nothing we can do to change it so we just have to grin and bear it.

I do admit that cabin fever may be making me a little grumpy. :)

And what does all this have to do with Holland America Lines? This forum is fast becoming more of a chat forum than a cruise line forum. Could we not have posts like this in another part of Cruise Critic?

They do actually. It's called the Floataway Lounge and sometimes it is fun to visit. I may just do that as I had forgotten about it until you made your post.

And you are quite right.

You went cruising at the right time for sure :)

I was watching the news and checked with a friend I was worried about out your way -they were hip deep in snow in their driveway and it was -39

I wish I had your timing for cruises ;)

I haven't gone yet and I didn't miss the September snow. I did a cruise in April a few years back where we had well over a foot of snow the night before. I got to the airport ok but my plane sat on the Tarmac for well over two hours and I missed my connection. My cruise was leaving the next day. By the grace of God I got put on stand by. Hey, coming from the frozen tundra we all have war stories.

But, Sail, today's truck day. That means spring training isn't far behind. It *must* be spring. We're leaving in late March for a cruise to Hawaii. It can't come soon enough for me. I even told my DH I won't complain about the heat :D

Will the snowmelt have an impact for cruising in May and June. ...from Boston to Montreal on the Maasdam? How about the Gulf of St Lawrence and sailing under the bridge. This will be my first time visiting the area. We've sure seen a lot of Boston in the news lately. I know it will take time to dig out and clean up after all this snow.

Too bad we can't redirect the snow to Alaska where we can bask in the beauty of snow covered mountains!

But, Sail, today's truck day. That means spring training isn't far behind. It *must* be spring. We're leaving in late March for a cruise to Hawaii. It can't come soon enough for me. I even told my DH I won't complain about the heat :D

Ahhh, YES :) Truck Day !!!

I saw Wally running after the truck as it drove away and he landed flat on his rear end in a big snow bank!!!! It did make everyone around smile as they sang 'Sweet Caroline'. :)

Will the snowmelt have an impact for cruising in May and June. ...from Boston to Montreal on the Maasdam? How about the Gulf of St Lawrence and sailing under the bridge. This will be my first time visiting the area. We've sure seen a lot of Boston in the news lately. I know it will take time to dig out and clean up after all this snow.

Too bad we can't redirect the snow to Alaska where we can bask in the beauty of snow covered mountains!

Actually, this is a very good question and the answer is the snow melt well could impact the earlyin the season Boston to Montreal to Boston cruises.

Just a few years ago, we had a lot of snow followed by a rainy spring and the water level in the St. Lawrence rose so high, Maasdam could not fit under the bridge to sail from Quebec City to Montreal. She had to stop at Quebec City and overnight there for about 2 or 3 cruises until the water level dropped enough the ship could safely sail under. :) While it was an inconvenience and guests embarking/disembarking had to be bussed to Montreal/Quebec City, there certainly are worse places to have the ship overnight than Quebec City. We were on the first cruise from Boston to Montreal after that happened and as much as we love Montreal, we would have been delighted to overnight in QC. :)