For my 1,000th post on Cruise Critic I'd like to ask..

ISLABONITA

What are the pros and cons of booking another cruise while on a cruise?

I am cruising on NCL Star on June 5th and am looking to book a Jan 30th cruise with the purchase of the future cruise credit voucher.

Right now I don't see any of the specials and sales on that cruise that I would love to see so maybe by June some will be posted.. of is it July that better sales go on?

thanks for the input! ib

I got a "Special Onboard Offer" with my eDocs where you place a $250 deposit on a future cruise and immediately get $100 onboard credit, and have 4 years to sail.

Yep, this is for anyone on a cruise. It's offered to everyone cruising.

If you can't make up your mind while on a cruise, then you also get so many days after the cruise (maybe 30 days???) that you can still do this offer, however the OBC then goes down to $75 and applied to your next cruise with them. So, basically you are losing $25 and you are paying the full $250 at the moment...until you cruise again. :)

The cruise rewards certificates you buy onboard often aren't posted to your account until after the cruise. You're much better off talking to a human after you get home. There are certain travel companies that can save you hundred over the published rate.

The cruise rewards certificates you buy onboard often aren't posted to your account until after the cruise. You're much better off talking to a human after you get home. There are certain travel companies that can save you hundred over the published rate.

Yep - so you buy the future cruise reward onboard, then when you get home you book your next cruise with your TA and get their specials too (I'm not sure if this works with all TA's, but it did with mine).

Thanks all for the replies.. so the voucher is the only deposit I would need to use for my future cruise?

Right now if I were to book this cruise it shows $800 deposit.

ETA: it's for an ocean view

Edited by ISLABONITA

Well, it also depends what type of room you book as well. I don't think it can be used as a full deposit on rooms such as the Haven's or maybe some of the big suites with several rooms.

It can be used as the deposit on interiors, balconies, mini suites and such.

If you book a suite the $250 FCC will cover part of the deposit, but you will have to pay the remainder of the deposit amount at the time of booking. At least that's what we had to do.

Boy, were we stupid not to buy one, just forked over a $2200 deposit through TA. Nov 27, 2016 H5. The other one is open[emoji12]

So just to make sure I'm understanding. You buy one of these FCC vouchers, and that will count as your deposit for your next cruise, up to a mini suite. Then, the remainder of the deposit is just deferred and rolled into the rest of the total payment due?

So just to make sure I'm understanding. You buy one of these FCC vouchers, and that will count as your deposit for your next cruise, up to a mini suite. Then, the remainder of the deposit is just deferred and rolled into the rest of the total payment due?

That's how it worked for us....never booked "higher" than mini-suite.

We've cancelled cruises and just moved the FCC to the "newer" reservation(s).