Jewel of the Seas

Cruiser421

Booked Jewel for next January while we were recently on Allure. Have been on all RCI class ships... Last time on The Radiance Class was in 2008 on Serenade... Anyone been on this class after Allure? Also heard Jewel is going into drydock a few months after we sail her... Should we push the cruise out? How's the Jewel looking?

Booked Jewel for next January while we were recently on Allure. Have been on all RCI class ships... Last time on The Radiance Class was in 2008 on Serenade... Anyone been on this class after Allure? Also heard Jewel is going into drydock a few months after we sail her... Should we push the cruise out? How's the Jewel looking?

If you are Diamond level, you might want to wait until the Diamond lounge is added as part of the dry dock.

We are Diamond, don't they use a part of the Viking Crown for the Diamond Lounge?

I believe they do use part of Viking Crown for cocktail hour, but it's not a dedicated DL. No free 24 hour specialty coffee, no continental breakfast, no Diamond Concierge.

LOVE LOVE Radiance class. Jewel still has her Sea View Cafe. I always wonder why people are concerned about going on, well, anything after Allure or Oasis. Yes, anything else is smaller but that doesn't mean inferior. We've done it, and continue to sail smaller ships than Oasis. It's been wonderful. :)

We were on Jewel Nov 8 after having been on Oasis twice and Allure once. Had the same concerns. LOVEDJewel and would do her again many times! The ship is beautiful and in wonderful shape! We LOVED the outside dining in the WJ and all of the ocean views, especially the outside elevators. It was a very relaxing cruise despite five island. Realized afterward that it was so much more relaxing than Oasis class. No worries about making all kinds of reservations and plans. It was like being on a yacht. Now Jewel is my favorite ship and SJ departure port

Loved the Jewel. While I haven't done the Allure, this cruise was after cruising on the flagships of both Disney and Carnival, which both had a lot more features than the Jewel. Even so, we found her to be just fine, especially given that it's a port intensive itinerary.

I believe they do use part of Viking Crown for cocktail hour, but it's not a dedicated DL. No free 24 hour specialty coffee, no continental breakfast, no Diamond Concierge.

Oh No:eek: How will you cope!!

Seeing as i'm only a Gold member I didn't have to worry about these very important issues, no wonder I had such a fantastic time on Jewel in January:rolleyes:

Our last four cruises have been Allure-Jewel-Allure-Jewel so yes. We sailed the last week in January this year and the ship, with the exception of the mini-golf was in great shape.

A few observations from a few weeks ago:

This is a decidedly older crowd, saw VERY few kids. A LOT of multi-week passengers, B2B, B2B2B and up. One couple we met were on for 6 weeks. I'm sure these two observations go hand in hand. These are mostly people getting out of the cold weather. Instead of going to Florida for a month or so they spend it on the ship. No cleaning or cooking and the weather is always in the 80's.

The pool was not nearly as crowded as I had experienced previously. Also service at the pool was much worse. Not many servers running around the pool area, but the pool bar was always uncrowded. Again I attribute this to the reasons above.

Other than that all was good.

Oh No:eek: How will you cope!!

Seeing as i'm only a Gold member I didn't have to worry about these very important issues, no wonder I had such a fantastic time on Jewel in January:rolleyes:

Oh no, [emoji79] your sarcasm was unnecessary. [emoji78]

We were on the Jewel in August after booking it while on the Allure. We booked it for the itinerary. My husband and I missed the activities on the Allure and Freedom. Surprisingly, our children, ages 9, 7, and 4, did not miss the bigger ships and loved the Jewel.

The Jewel is a beautiful ship and we appreciated the water views from the inside venues. The schooner bar is beautiful. The ship was in great shape in August. The food was verygood. The staff was wonderful and we had a wonderful vacation.

If the intinuaries were the same, we would chose a bigger ship, but we still enjoyed the Jewel.

And and more important for many, you can not be late for dinner with the excuse that you lost track of time in the lounge. Heard that one many times