Cruising Asia Xmas/ NY

Sidney24

Have enjoyed cruising out of SINGAPORE in FEB and MARCH.

Now considering same over Xmas/ NY however concerned that weather and particularly the seas may disappoint after the fantastic earlier cruises.

Comments appreciated.

Weather Stormy & Rainy with bits of sunshine since its the monsoon season in Southeast Asia

We had very hot and humid weather a couple of Christmases ago in Singapore. Is this not typical? We have booked Celebrity Millennium for Christmas 2016 and I was expecting the weather to improve as we travelled south from Hong Kong down to Singapore, via Vietnam and Bangkok :confused:?

Wow wavespasher you have certainly put a hold on my booking

a xmas/ny cruise out of singapore.

Have you ever taken a cruise over this period. My understanding was the rain comes then goes quickly however the possibility of rough seas has me concerned.

Sidney24, I can't comment about the seas as I've never cruised there but I've been to Singapore in March and had lovely weather. It is hot and humid all year round - it's almost right on the equator. It does get storms but they usually pass over quite quickly. It's really hard to predict what the weather will be like there.

Villauk, it will certainly get warmer as you travel from Hong Kong down to Singapore but it may also get wetter. However I've also been to Singapore in December and had fairly decent weather.

I've actually been to Singapore quite a few times, at various times of the year, and I would say that generally it is warm and sunny with storms passing over quickly. I've spent more than my fair share of time lounging around hotel swimming pools while DH was working so have many happy memories of sunny Singapore days.

Sidney24, I can't comment about the seas as I've never cruised there but I've been to Singapore in March and had lovely weather. It is hot and humid all year round - it's almost right on the equator. It does get storms but they usually pass over quite quickly. It's really hard to predict what the weather will be like there.

Villauk, it will certainly get warmer as you travel from Hong Kong down to Singapore but it may also get wetter. However I've also been to Singapore in December and had fairly decent weather.

I've actually been to Singapore quite a few times, at various times of the year, and I would say that generally it is warm and sunny with storms passing over quickly. I've spent more than my fair share of time lounging around hotel swimming pools while DH was working so have many happy memories of sunny Singapore days.

Great, that's what I thought. Tbh, coming from England, we always carry an umbrella :D.

Great, that's what I thought. Tbh, coming from England, we always carry an umbrella :D.

You definitely need one in Singapore although there are ways to get around the city without being out in the open - there is an excellent train system and many of the shopping malls connect underground.

Of course, on your ship you just go indoors when it rains.

Hope you have a wonderful cruise. I love both Hong Kong and Singapore, although Singapore is getting quite expensive these days. South Vietnam is beautiful, but I haven't been to Bangkok.

Did a Christmas/New Year cruise less than 2 months ago - Singapore round trip that went as far north as Hong Kong. We missed 2 ports in Cambodia and Viet Nam due to bad weather. It was hot and humid except for Hong Kong.

Were the seas rough as you were unable to dock? Which ship did you cruise on?

Were the seas rough as you were unable to dock? Which ship did you cruise on?

I was on the Crystal Symphony. We missed Sihanoukville, Cambodia - a tender port - since it was too rough to tender and Nha Trang, Vietnam because the port authority closed the port since the seas were too rough. We didn't have very much rain at all, just rough seas for about 4 days off and on during the cruise.

I was on the Crystal Symphony. We missed Sihanoukville, Cambodia - a tender port - since it was too rough to tender and Nha Trang, Vietnam because the port authority closed the port since the seas were too rough. We didn't have very much rain at all, just rough seas for about 4 days off and on during the cruise.

Thanks for replying :). May I ask another question: did you enjoy your experience of this area of the world? Although we've travelled to Singapore previously (definitely loved our time there), we would like to explore this area further and Christmas is the only time we are able to travel (to suit school holidays) :).

Thanks for replying :). May I ask another question: did you enjoy your experience of this area of the world? Although we've travelled to Singapore previously (definitely loved our time there), we would like to explore this area further and Christmas is the only time we are able to travel (to suit school holidays) :).

I did a back to back - 29 days on the ship - Bali to Singapore and the Singapore round trip. Absolutely loved it. Can't wait to go back to Asia and visit places I didn't go this time. The weather (hot and very humid - and that's from a Texan :D) made touring very tiring, but most of the places we went except for Hong Kong are very near the equator, so it's going to be that way 365 days a year.

Still unsure about the seas over XMAS/NY with missing ports and seasickness

Wherever you go at whatever time of year you run the risk of bad weather and rough seas, or you may have beautiful weather and smooth seas.

We cruised to New Caledonia and Fiji over Christmas, well in the timeframe for very bad weather in the South Pacific. We had some windy days, and the first 36 hours were the roughest although not enough to cause DH to feel seasick and he is very prone to that. We had one port stop cancelled due to high winds, a couple of days with short showers, and the rest of the trip was glorious.

Then there was the cyclone last week approaching the Queensland coast, with Rhapsody of the Seas heading up to Cairns, crossing the path of the cyclone. :eek:

As I think I mentioned earlier, I've been to Singapore many times and at different times of the year. Some trips I've had amazing weather when I've expected lots of rain, and other trips I've had rain when I expected the weather to be more settled.

What is that old saying? Feel the fear and do it anyway? :)