Has anyone been "upgraded" to accessible?

tnfcruise

I asked this in a different way yesterday and only got one, one-word answer -- "never". So, I'm using a different topic heading and rephrasing. An accessible cabin (C1 aft) next to ours on an upcoming Summit sailing suddenly shows as available. If no one requiring the accessible features books this cabin, what happens? Has anyone seeing this post ever been moved to an unbooked (same class) accessible?

I asked this in a different way yesterday and only got one, one-word answer -- "never". So, I'm using a different topic heading and rephrasing. An accessible cabin (C1 aft) next to ours on an upcoming Summit sailing suddenly shows as available. If no one requiring the accessible features books this cabin, what happens? Has anyone seeing this post ever been moved to an unbooked (same class) accessible?

I suspect that rather than moving it to another category they simple use it to allocate to guarantees. I have known people who have booked guarantees to be given accessibles.

I suspect that rather than moving it to another category they simple use it to allocate to guarantees. I have known people who have booked guarantees to be given accessibles.

That makes sense...it also makes me think I may be able to request the change and receive the bigger (especially balcony) accessible and my original cabin (same category) could go into the guarantee pool. No harm in asking, I guess.

That makes sense...it also makes me think I may be able to request the change and receive the bigger (especially balcony) accessible and my original cabin (same category) could go into the guarantee pool. No harm in asking, I guess.

Worst they can say is "no".

But what happens if they say yes and then at last minute get a booking for an accessible, are you happy to risk not being in that general area?

But what happens if they say yes and then at last minute get a booking for an accessible, are you happy to risk not being in that general area?

No, of course not, I want that exact location C1 true aft on Summit. And, I definitely do not want to deprive someone with accessibility issues a cabin they deserve. But if, as you previously mentioned, the unbooked accessibles have been assigned to GTY, I think it's worth a phone call. As you also said, all they can say is no.

I really thought, though, I'd find folks on CC who have been in this situation and could share their experiences.

No, of course not, I want that exact location C1 true aft on Summit. And, I definitely do not want to deprive someone with accessibility issues a cabin they deserve. But if, as you previously mentioned, the unbooked accessibles have been assigned to GTY, I think it's worth a phone call. As you also said, all they can say is no.

I really thought, though, I'd find folks on CC who have been in this situation and could share their experiences.

Maybe what they'll do is basically waitlist you for the accessible and if it's available give it to you and someone else your's but you might not know till the very last minute as I understand they are always the last allocated, for obvious reasons.

And as someone who spent 5 years in a wheelchair, I really appreciate your attitude.

Maybe what they'll do is basically waitlist you for the accessible and if it's available give it to you and someone else your's but you might not know till the very last minute as I understand they are always the last allocated, for obvious reasons.

And as someone who spent 5 years in a wheelchair, I really appreciate your attitude.

[emoji5]️thanks

Yup, I can confirm the same. Booked a cruise 3 weeks before the cruise and inside GTY was all that they had. We got an accessible inside stateroom which was HUGE. Apparently it was one of the last few rooms sold.

We also had a guarantee room and were allocated an accessible one. Tried to get it changed as we did not need it. It is bigger but also there are some downsides. i.e. The walkin shower didn't have anywhere reachable to put toiletries, the basin was low down and therefore the mirror was in the wrong place and all the furniture was, as it should be for passengers using wheelchairs, just off the ground. if you are over 5 ft tall beware.

And I was not able to upgrade to an accessible yet.

Our TA said they release those "about" a week before. I am going to try & call a week before. It is not a huge deal, our 3 teens shared an interior on our last cruise BUT if I could get them double the space I'm sure they would be thrilled.

A few years ago we booked a Concierge grade but were put on 'guarantee' as the ones we wanted were unavailable. We were allocated a cabin just before we sailed and found we had been upgraded to Aqua class, but an accessible cabin. That was fine and we were pleased with the upgrade; trouble is, we are now sold on Blu and always have to book Aqua!!

We booked about 6 weeks ago and were automatically given 2 accessible cabins. Did not even go on a guarantee. Nor did we need an accessible.

I, like you, thought that these cabins were the "last" to go if they were not needed. Any way we sail on the 22 and so far the cabins #'s have not changed.

We booked about 6 weeks ago and were automatically given 2 accessible cabins. Did not even go on a guarantee. Nor did we need an accessible.

I, like you, thought that these cabins were the "last" to go if they were not needed. Any way we sail on the 22 and so far the cabins #'s have not changed.

I'm confused. If you did not book a guarantee, how were you 'automatically given' accessible cabins? You don't automatically get cabins, you choose them. Do you mean they came up on the list of available cabins? It is very odd that they would release them so far out. Not trying to be argumentative, but this is very strange. I suspect most people who require them tend to book quite a bit ahead of time to ensure they can get one, but six weeks out seems like much more than normal.

To answer the OP, I have not had this happen, but I know of people on my Roll Call that got assigned accessible cabins through a GTY booking. This happened the last couple of weeks. Other than the shower leaking onto the bathroom floor, they are great cabins to have (we have a relative who requires one; we have never personally gotten one as we don't require one and don't usually book GTY). I would definitely check a week before to grab one when they open them if they are still available.

Edited by phoenix_dream

A couple of years ago we booked a suite guarantee cabin on Solstice a month before it sailed. We were assigned an accessible cabin two weeks after that. I called Celebrity because I did not want to deprive anyone who required the cabin. Celebrity said they release them 10-14 days before sailing and that it was ours.

The size of the cabin and balcony were wonderful. I didn't enjoy the noise from the dining area above though. The trollies of food and plates made a lot of racket. Opening the door took some getting used to, as the only way it would open was to push the metal "plate".

We'd read about the shower problems prior to sailing, but never experienced any floods ourselves.

I'm confused. If you did not book a guarantee, how were you 'automatically given' accessible cabins? You don't automatically get cabins, you choose them. Do you mean they came up on the list of available cabins? It is very odd that they would release them so far out. Not trying to be argumentative, but this is very strange. I suspect most people who require them tend to book quite a bit ahead of time to ensure they can get one, but six weeks out seems like much more than normal.

To answer the OP, I have not had this happen, but I know of people on my Roll Call that got assigned accessible cabins through a GTY booking. This happened the last couple of weeks. Other than the shower leaking onto the bathroom floor, they are great cabins to have (we have a relative who requires one; we have never personally gotten one as we don't require one and don't usually book GTY). I would definitely check a week before to grab one when they open them if they are still available.

The travel agent did not ask us if we wanted an assigned room or a guarantee. Only when she printed off the paperwork did we see it was for these 2 accessible rooms. So figured all the regular rooms were full.

Don't know how or why, but that was how it happened.

Edited by edenrayne

It is actually not that uncommon for accessibles to be released to the general public within a few weeks of sailing - sometimes even much sooner than that if a particular cruise is selling well. For example the September 11, 2015 transpacific cruise I am booked on had accessible staterooms for sale to anybody earlier this month (the cruise is now already sold out other than some group space held by travel agents). I have seen accessible staterooms released at least a few weeks early on quite a few occasions.

I recently did a 4 day on Constellation. I booked online about 3 weeks before sailing and called a few days after booking to see about an Accessible room, they said that it would count as my Captain Club Complimentary upgrade. We booked an OV Room and was happy to have the upgrade. Room 6004.

20150129_183142000_iOS.jpg.bb29f77323817fea659fa9f41dbd0c54.jpg

It is actually not that uncommon for accessibles to be released to the general public within a few weeks of sailing - sometimes even much sooner than that if a particular cruise is selling well. For example the September 11, 2015 transpacific cruise I am booked on had accessible staterooms for sale to anybody earlier this month (the cruise is now already sold out other than some group space held by travel agents). I have seen accessible staterooms released at least a few weeks early on quite a few occasions.

Good points. If a ship is almost out of capacity, they will in fact release the accessible rooms earlier.

The travel agent did not ask us if we wanted an assigned room or a guarantee. Only when she printed off the paperwork did we see it was for these 2 accessible rooms. So figured all the regular rooms were full.

Don't know how or why, but that was how it happened.

That solves the mystery:)

OP here-- interesting information and anecdotes. Thanks for the replies.

By the time I contacted my TA the accessible cabin was no longer listed. Reading one of the previous posts, though, my 6'+ spouse might have been happy with the additional space but not the low-sitting sink and furniture.

A few years ago we booked a Concierge grade but were put on 'guarantee' as the ones we wanted were unavailable. We were allocated a cabin just before we sailed and found we had been upgraded to Aqua class, but an accessible cabin. That was fine and we were pleased with the upgrade; trouble is, we are now sold on Blu and always have to book Aqua!!

Got a kick out of this...Enjoy those Aquas!

I got one of the C1 aft accessible cabins on the Summit many years ago. Our TA actually got us booked into it when it became available about a week before our cruise as she knew we wanted an aft cabin. This was so long ago that all the C cabins were a single class so the switch was within the same class from our mid ship concierge class cabin and not an "upgrade".

While the extra size might sound nice if I had the choice between that cabin and a regular aft C1 next to it I would take the smaller regular aft C1. I'm sure the accessible features are a godsend for those that need it but they are not great for those that do not need them.

Edited by Lsimon

Thanks, Lsimon, for your story and advice...at this point I'm glad the next door accessible is no longer available (although I'd still like a peek at it sometime during our cruise) and I hope it's been snapped up by folks who can use the features.