March 8 or March 15 cruise - Is either Spring Break?

goldesq

I can cruise week and looking to avoid a ton of kids as this week seems to have for many cruises since its winter recess.

I realize late February through Mid-March is Spring Break for many colleges but what about elementary, JHS and HS kids? I am looking to cruise without being overrun by loads of kids if possible. Which week would be better?

Those weeks are likely between the peak of college break and the peak of grade school break but by no means "safe"

Here in Florida most state colleges and universities are off the week of March 1.

Public schools in Miami-Dade and Broward counties are off the week of March 22.

So those would be the weeks to most clearly avoid sailing from Miami or Ft Lauderdale.

Assuming you are looking to sail from the NYC area ports: I believe colleges in the Northeast tend to break in mid-March to hopefully come after the worst of winter, while the public schools strongly lean to taking Easter week off (week of March 29 this year).

So the week of the 15th may be the lesser of two evils for you--unless you can wait until after Easter.

I'm a full-time student in Colorado, and all of our colleges break the week of the 22nd. The majority of public school systems in the state will break the week of the 29th.

My wife and I are sailing on Freedom on the 15th and are hoping to avoid many of the breaker families.

I can cruise week and looking to avoid a ton of kids as this week seems to have for many cruises since its winter recess.

I realize late February through Mid-March is Spring Break for many colleges but what about elementary, JHS and HS kids? I am looking to cruise without being overrun by loads of kids if possible. Which week would be better?

Notice that many posters commented on college spring break, and their responses were corect. However, believe you were asking about younger kids.

Have cruised Royal Caribbean several times during March. It seems that there are kids present all year round (obviously more in the summer months). However, in March you will find some schools on spring break, can often depend how Easter falls. Not all schools take Easter as a spring vacation, and many use more of a "spring break." Also, there are more year-round schools, home schooled kids, not to mention a large percentage of kids from overseas.

Have never found the ship to be overrun with kids, but they are definitely there.

We are cruising March 15 because it is spring break for schools in the KC area, one of our group is a HS english teacher, granted her school has a 2 week spring break so the week we are going to be gone and either the week before or the week after are also "spring break" for her.

We are cruising March 15 because it is spring break for schools in the KC area, one of our group is a HS english teacher, granted her school has a 2 week spring break so the week we are going to be gone and either the week before or the week after are also "spring break" for her.

Julia Goolia? Is that you? (Wedding Singer reference)

If you're sailing on Freedom, you should sign up for our Roll Call. My wife and I could use some people our age to hang out with that week. :)

Both college DDs have Spring Break the week of March 15.

If the prices are high then you're sailing during spring break.

To avoid lots of kids take a cruise longer than 7 days.

Edited by SadieN

Short answer is yes, those are PRIME spring break weeks for colleges and universities.

Most K-12 schools ties spring break to Easter but not all, so anytime between February 15 and April 15 you can expect to find a lot of schooll age children on any ship.

We had never sailed around spring break until our 2013 cruise on NCL Epic. We went on 3/30/13, and sailed over Easter. While there was a lot of kids and teens on the trip, it was not the crazy, frustrating, annoying hot-mess that I was afraid of. We noted that no problems with noise, unruliness, etc. Just FWIW, considering you are bound to end up with spring breakers in the months of March and April.

:)

The week of March 15th is March break in Ontario, Canada. About 2 million students will be off. And just about everyone heads to Florida or other southern destinations. So be prepared.

Last two March break cruises we have been on have had between 700 and 900 elementary and high school students on board. My lads had a blast!

DD and I are sailing the week of the 14th since it her college spring break. I think no matter when you cruise around then you will run into kids and young adults on break. Our TA did say if you go on the longer ( 7 day + ones) you wont have as many kids/ college kids, ditto with avoiding the Nassau area trips..

College son has spring break at Mizzou the week of March 22.

Our HS daughter only gets a couple days before Easter and a couple days afterward. No regular spring break here.

I went to grad school there, but some years ago. I think many went to places like Mexico or Florida. I did the opposite and went north to Chicago (to visit my aunt and uncle) and then to Iowa to visit a former college roomie who was going to grad school there.

The Los Angeles Unified school district (second biggest in the country) always takes off the week leading up to Easter. That's true nowadays and was true back when I was going to a LAUSD school. It seemed that the local Catholic schools took off the week after Easter. But don't tell to figure out which week most colleges take off between late February and mid-April. If you want to avoid college aged kids (which I find to be more troublesome than the younger kids), you'll find them on warm climate cruises that are 7 days during this time.

I'm a full-time student in Colorado, and all of our colleges break the week of the 22nd. The majority of public school systems in the state will break the week of the 29th.

My wife and I are sailing on Freedom on the 15th and are hoping to avoid many of the breaker families.

I googled spring break 2015 after posting this question here. I found that the country has spring break anywhere from the week of 2/28, 3/7, 3/14, 3/21 and 4/5 with the most being the middle three weeks that I posted.

Yet, my concern was more about little kids rather than college kids. I know on my cruise, the line doesnt allow anyone under 25 to drink from 3/1 to 4/15.

Yet, my concern was more about little kids rather than college kids. I know on my cruise, the line doesnt allow anyone under 25 to drink from 3/1 to 4/15.

If you are referring to NCL: while they will not sell the Ultimate Beverage Package to anyone under 25 at that time, they certainly will sell by the drink...it's all about economics, not safety.

But I do agree with you that an organized pack of pre-adolescents can do far more damage than one of drunken fratboys.

Is cruising during spring break the week of the 15th going to have the crowd you'd expect? Taking a mid 20's buddy who's coming off a pretty messy divorce and could use a college-like kinda week, but my Mrs. isn't too thrilled that it ended up being spring break week. Leaving out of San Juan

This is not correct information. Anyone 21+ can drink, as can anyone who gets alcohol smuggled or given to them by someone 21+.

Kids at a local school as well as those in another state where I have family all have spring breaks the weeks you are asking.

If kids is what you want to avoid, it's best to pick a less family friendly line.

I googled spring break 2015 after posting this question here. I found that the country has spring break anywhere from the week of 2/28, 3/7, 3/14, 3/21 and 4/5 with the most being the middle three weeks that I posted.

Which line has this rule?

It looks like you are on NCL, and you are incorrect about people between 21 and 25 not being allowed to drink. They can drink all they want, they just can't buy and use the unlimited beverage package.

There will still be lots of young adults on the ship and they will consume lots of alcohol.

For Other who asked about who has this rule it is an NCL rule, but it is not as the OP thinks but is really as I have explained above.

Edited by zqvol