Outdoor Dining & Ship Choices

avalon1001

Hi Everyone ! Every other year or so our family takes a group cruise. Two years ago we were on the NCL Sun, and totally, hopelessly, completely fell in love with the Great Outdoors Bar & Grill, just off the buffet. We'd all meet there in the mornings for breakfast, drinks after shore excursions, and get togethers before dinner. We're searching for any other cruise ships that have that sort of casual open-air eating/lounging/waterwatching areas. Can you help us ?

Also, we've always shied away from Carnival since it had a reputation of being too much of a "party" line. Is it true or would I be able to feel comfortable bringing people from 20-75 years old ?

Thanks !

:)

Carnival is no more a "Party Line" than any other ship! No worries! Of course, any short cruise (3-4 days) will have many partiers....on ANY line!!! Yes...you can feel VERY comfortable with any age range on Carnival.

RCI's Radiance class ship's have an outdoor seating area off the buffet, which is great. The "downside" to this class ship is the adult Solarium is "under glass", and they rarely open the roof, so no tanning in the adult area...frustrating!

Carnival is no longer the 'party' ship! It has many families on their ships now. We cruise on Carnival a LOT and I don't remember the last time I saw anyone drunk. A lot of ships have an outdoor areas outside the buffet. Some are behind it and some outside along it. There are tables and chairs there. Ships also have tables and chairs around the pool which is usually on the same deck as the buffet. Pull up the floor plans of any ship you like and see if there is the outdoor area you're looking for.

Hi Everyone ! Every other year or so our family takes a group cruise. Two years ago we were on the NCL Sun, and totally, hopelessly, completely fell in love with the Great Outdoors Bar & Grill, just off the buffet. We'd all meet there in the mornings for breakfast, drinks after shore excursions, and get togethers before dinner. We're searching for any other cruise ships that have that sort of casual open-air eating/lounging/waterwatching areas. Can you help us ?

All Celebrity ships and Royal Caribbean Radiance Class ships have the outdoor eating areas in their buffets.

Also, we've always shied away from Carnival since it had a reputation of being too much of a "party" line. Is it true or would I be able to feel comfortable bringing people from 20-75 years old ?

Thanks !

:)

NCL's Jewel also has THe Great Outdoors.

Also, you can also take your plates or drinks on any ship to the outdoor tables nearest the pool.

Regarding Carnival. Personally we don't care for all the unsupervised teens that have been on our cruises on Carnival but I think the party reputation is greatly exaggerated.

As I recall, all of NCL's "Jewel Class" ships (Jewel, Pearl, Jade, Gem) have a Great Outdoors buffet section. The Spirit also has a similar section, but the food offerings are not as complete (at least, not when I was on board).

The NCL Dawn and Star do NOT have a Great Outdoors section. :-( I'm not sure about the other NCL ships.