Recommended Wines

RocketMan275

Be aware that any recommendations given may or may not be loaded on your particular voyage due to operational reasons. We experienced a few times a good chunk of the wine list they had in the dining room being unavailable.

I recommended in a post cruise survey that they print current wine lists at the start of each voyage or when inventory changes drastically on longer voyages but it hasnt happened yet in my experiences.

Have 18 cruises over 20 years. Hopefully this is not a new trend

We had a silver package and it became a game on the 14 day TA we were on in October to see how many attempts it would take each night before they gave me an affirmative "yep, we have that one". We tried to mix it up and not order the same bottle each night, and it was usually around 3 attempts before we found a winner.

They didnt have the wine package on the B2B we did in January and we were charged corkage at the pier for our case we brought on so we just brought those to the MDR. This meant we did not get to play the "GUESS THIS WINE" game so cannot comment if it is a continuing trend or just something that occured due to the final ship of the year for that embarkation port for our TA which may not have loaded the usual stock.

All I know is what happened to us. which is all I can report.

We had a silver package and it became a game on the 14 day TA we were on in October to see how many attempts it would take each night before they gave me an affirmative "yep, we have that one". We tried to mix it up and not order the same bottle each night, and it was usually around 3 attempts before we found a winner.

They didnt have the wine package on the B2B we did in January and we were charged corkage at the pier for our case we brought on so we just brought those to the MDR. This meant we did not get to play the "GUESS THIS WINE" game so cannot comment if it is a continuing trend or just something that occured due to the final ship of the year for that embarkation port for our TA which may not have loaded the usual stock.

All I know is what happened to us. which is all I can report.

Sorry to read about your bad experience which fortunately we have only experienced a couple of times with our gold 12 & 7 bottle packages.

OP...here's a link to a recent wine list because it would be difficult for anyone to recommend wine that you enjoy:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=45583943&posted=1#post45583943

Edited by Astro Flyer

The best way to handle the wine issue would be to swing by the Napa/Sonoma Valley area and pick up a few bottles that you like then stick them in your carry-on bag(s).;)

We do that for some of our favorite Italian wines both before & during a cruise when it includes Italy...better prices, selection & never unavailable. :D

For wines under or around $50, I would recommend :

Chardonnay - Silverado (Carneros, CA) $45

Pinot Noir- Patz & Hall (Sonoma Coast, CA) $59 (sorry...can't recommend any sub-$50 option)

Merlot- Oberon (Napa Valley, CA) $40

Either Syrah/Shiraz if you favor that style. Distinctly not my style however.

Zinfandel - Seghesio (Sonoma County, CA) $39

If required to add a Cabernet, I would say that there are no bargains but would add:

Silverado (Napa Valley, CA) $65

Edited by JimmyVWine

Add Argentine Malbec to the list of decent lower end options. There are usually a couple of choices. There's almost never a choice I would call a "stand alone" wine, but the Malbecs I have tried make good table wines. I have not seen any California or French Malbecs but I would stay away from them if they are available on your cruise. Stick with Malbecs from Argentina or Chile and you'll be fine.

Any recommendations on the wines available on Princess under $50 bottle? Anything good by the glass?

Looking for a good Chardonnay, Pinot Noir, and another good red, maybe a cab or a Syrah?

I liked the Chateauneuf-du-Pape, a blended red. That's a region not a brand. The last 2 cruises the brand they had was Serabel. I forget the price but it was under $50.

Thanks to all for your recommendations. I'll be carrying two bottles from home but that won't last and the wife doesn't want to carry aboard more than that. Perhaps she'll change her mind when she sees the prices? Or, maybe I'll just get her some of the cheap stuff which should have the same effect. We're driving so I could carry more and wouldn't mind the corkage fee.

Add Argentine Malbec to the list of decent lower end options. There are usually a couple of choices. There's almost never a choice I would call a "stand alone" wine, but the Malbecs I have tried make good table wines. I have not seen any California or French Malbecs but I would stay away from them if they are available on your cruise. Stick with Malbecs from Argentina or Chile and you'll be fine.

We have a great winery here in the Napa Valley that makes a fantastic Malbec. It is called Bennett Lane winery in Calistoga. I have brought some of their malbec with us on several cruises. I prefer it over Argentine Malbec. But it is true very few Napa Valley wineries bottle a straight Malbec. Most of the time they use it as part of a blend.

We like white wine. We usually get Noblio, Sauvignon Blanc. It's from New Zealand and is under $50 a bottle. Princess has a wine tasting venue - I think it's $20 and you get to sample maybe 5-6 wines, and you get a little glass as a souvenir. There might be a wine list over at zydeco cruiser. Any California wine is good and New Zealand.

We do that for some of our favorite Italian wines both before & during a cruise when it includes Italy...better prices, selection & never unavailable. :D

Astro - do you know of convenient wine stores in Livorno, Civitavecchia and Naples ? In each case we will be returning from a private excursion and wondered if there is somewhere close before re boarding.

Thanks to all for your recommendations. I'll be carrying two bottles from home but that won't last and the wife doesn't want to carry aboard more than that. Perhaps she'll change her mind when she sees the prices? Or, maybe I'll just get her some of the cheap stuff which should have the same effect. We're driving so I could carry more and wouldn't mind the corkage fee.

Two Buck Chuck as we call it is really good. You get it at Trader Joes, and we buy it by the case. My mother likes the Merlot and we like the Sauvignon Blanc. Frank Family wines makes a good Cab and Chardonnay. They use to be affiliated with Rombauer who is also known for their good Cabs. They are located in the Napa Valley. Frank Family is in Calistoga.

We have a great winery here in the Napa Valley that makes a fantastic Malbec. It is called Bennett Lane winery in Calistoga. I have brought some of their malbec with us on several cruises. I prefer it over Argentine Malbec. But it is true very few Napa Valley wineries bottle a straight Malbec. Most of the time they use it as part of a blend.
y

I am scheduled for a California Coastal cruise in mid-March. I will see if I can find a bottle to take on board with me either in our departure port or one of the stops along the way.

If you like Malbec, try a bottle of Catena or Achaval Ferrer sometime. You might just change your mind about Argentine Malbec. :)

Silverado Sauvignon Blanc Miller Ranch is great with seafood. $45.

This is at least the third Silverado wine that has been recommended here:)

Enjoy:)

And I enjoyed the Silverado Chardonnay when we were on the Royal last summer. I believe it was around $45 per bottle. The wines by the glass are drinkable but not really enjoyable :rolleyes:

Astro - do you know of convenient wine stores in Livorno, Civitavecchia and Naples ? In each case we will be returning from a private excursion and wondered if there is somewhere close before re boarding.
I wasn't really looking near the port area in Livorno, Civitavecchia and Naples on our cruise last September but as I remember most if not all are away from any shopping. We picked up a bottle in Florence on a private tour and there was free time on our tours in all of the ports to do a little shopping or sightseeing on our own. I am sure people who have been to the ports more often may have suggestions near the port.

I've purchased wine in Rome during a pre-cruise stay & took the train to Civitavecchia to stay overnight at a hotel before boarding the ship. We walked along Civitavecchia's main street (Largo Plebisscito/Corso Centocelle based on my map app) where the port shuttle buses drop off passengers at the port's front gate.

The hotel recommended 2 markets...one on Corso Centocelle & the Elite market at Via Carlo Calisse, 61, 00053 Civitavecchia RM, Italy which is a couple of blocks off the main street. The large market on Corso had cheap inexpensive house wines costing a few euro but nothing I wanted to try. Elite had a great selection of reasonably priced quality wines (plus other items such as my wife's 2L bottles of Coke Lite) that we enjoy & it was about a 15 minute walk from the port's entrance gate. Maybe your private tour driver could take you to Elite to shop & take you back to the port? I would think that a guide taking you from the port would know where Elite is located but would recommend using it's address in a map app to print a copy to show your driver.

Our favorite Italian wine is Brunello di Montalcino (or it's less expensive younger version of Rosso di Montalcino) and last year with the Princess gold wine package we discovered Barolo. After returning home I learned that Barolo is as expensive as Brunello.

I can't help you with Livorno or Naples because after a long day of touring we didn't shop for wine. Although while touring Tuscany from Livorno we bought our wine at small markets (and during our excellent Castello di Verrazzano winery tour) along the way. Before another cruise we were in Tuscany for a week & brought several bottles we purchased at the Coop market. That worked well because Venice's Coop didn't have nearly as many of the Tuscan wines we enjoy.

Here's a link to Civitavecchia port info: http://www.civitavecchiaport.org

Edited by Astro Flyer