Why Isn't HAL Establishing Policies Regarding Carcinogens Like Its Smoking Policies

Sow There

Prop 65 is such a joke. The law does not require the posting in your kitchen (exhaust fumes from your stove and heater). Nor doe sit require it for your fireplace, the windshield of your car, the monitor of your computer, or the toxic fumes from your toilet (at least if you live in my house).

I live in Calif and have yet to see anyone NOT gas up their car because there are carcinogens. And lets face it, if you don't know that gasoline burning and vapors are not healthy, you need a sign on your forehead that says "Caution, I'm an idiot".

Would love to see that sign for the people that need it!

9803Prop65Image_150.gif

Isn't a movement to address this serious issue long past due? If the clearly valid concerns about smoking are widespread, where's the outcry about other health (and environmental) concerns?

I think the OP is the maker of the signs! Lots of money to be made.

Edited by Hflors

Being from Massachusetts - which clearly has its own nanny-state issues - I first encountered a "Prop 65" sign when entering Disneyland on vacation. What a valuable service that sign provides! Family after family studied the sign carefully, nodded their heads, and turned around, deciding that the clear and present danger described by the sign was just too troubling, and to be safe they abandoned their idea of entering Disneyland. Not.

Am I alone in thinking that in slapping these signs everywhere, their impact is totally undermined, guaranteeing that they are ignored, invisible, and ineffective? From my perspective signs like this are just so much feel-good activism and political correctness. I'm sure putting them on a cruise ship gangway would result in just as many folks abandoning their cruise as I saw turning around at Disneyland. All these signs really accomplish is providing liability cover in our litigious society for people suing a business claiming that some substance there caused them a disease.

And I'm sure that they'll be here in Massachusetts shortly. After all, my lawn mower came with a warning label not to use it to trim hedges.

I lost interest at "known to the State of California." Nuff said. :rolleyes:

Short and sweet as always. Cabin fever has brought out the jouster in me, and I just can't let idiots alone when they spout stuff like this, posing as knowledgeable.

Did you ever read the full list of Prop 65 known hazards?

http://oehha.ca.gov/prop65/prop65_list/files/P65single012315.pdf

Not only won't your California approved cruise go anywhere, there won't be any alcoholic beverages served. That's good, because you couldn't have any aspirin for hangovers anyway.

When you look up the list, you'll see a lot of what appears to be chemicals. Look up the chemicals, and you'll see a heck of a lot of foods.

Did you ever read the full list of Prop 65 known hazards?

http://oehha.ca.gov/prop65/prop65_list/files/P65single012315.pdf

Not only won't your California approved cruise go anywhere, there won't be any alcoholic beverages served. That's good, because you couldn't have any aspirin for hangovers anyway.

When you look up the list, you'll see a lot of what appears to be chemicals. Look up the chemicals, and you'll see a heck of a lot of foods.

Wow, both diesel and gasoline exhaust (though I see it specifies "condensates and extracts, where to I get those?). So every car, bus, and truck should have a sign on them, since that is the emitting source.

Wood dust. Coal emissions. Gee, the only thing I don't see on this list that could power a cruise ship is jet fuel. How much do you think that would increase the cost of a cruise? Since this is a significant omission, do you think the airline industry has any influence with the Cal. legislature?

Marijuana smoke!

Mustard gas! I think if I breathed this, I'd have more to worry about than cancer.

Just reinforces my opinion that state legislators have way too much time on their hands.

With 7,000,000,000+ people on this planet, we need LESS warning labels and safety measures and not more!

We need to let Nature take its course and burn off some dead wood as the forest is vastly overgrown, so take solace in knowing that cruising is a place where we won't be seeing the excess population's lives extended.

We have a winner!

When head hunters have called DH there is one word that immediately ends the conversation - California. :rolleyes:

Prejudice is a baseless and usually negative attitude, negative feelings, stereotyped beliefs, and a tendency to discriminate toward members of a group.

Edited by qsuzi

We don't all have a Prop 65. :rolleyes: Nor do I need or want one. :D

How about You worry about Prop 65 for us........ please.

Thanks.

Its talk like that, that could get you banned from Scientology meetings for life for spreading bad vibes Dude. *LOL*

And your dog will never get another appointment with his therapist :)

Prejudice is a baseless and usually negative attitude, negative feelings, stereotyped beliefs, and a tendency to discriminate toward members of a group.

This particular prejudice toward the State of California is not baseless at all.

Did you read the sign?

I revised my post. Why is it necessary to focus on individual state/port specifics when that is just a small part of equation and not representative? See Chengkp's comments.

Edited by qsuzi

I revised my post. Why is it necessary to focus on individual state/port specifics when that is just a small part of equation and not representative? See Chengkp's comments.

Huh? But that is what the OP was suggesting, bringing California green policy (as I stated, I think the signs are inane) to cruising. So he was the one to focus on state specific policies. I have a great deal of respect for Aquahound, he and I have met on these boards for a while, but like me, he doesn't suffer fools well (reference to OP, not you).

Huh? We have nothing against those who live in California. That is their choice. We just do NOT want to live there. Our taxes are SO much lower - that isn't baseless. :rolleyes: I won't be holding my breath waiting for an apology for the personal attack being called prejudice.

I appreciated chengkp75's post (Post #12), not only because I learned things I didn't know, but more because he reinforced my original point, which is the blatant hypocrisy of the anti-smoking brigade.

What, exactly, are the anti-smokers against and why? The short answer is their objection to ingesting second hand smoke and because it's an established health hazard to those who are subjected to tobacco smoke.

So when an equivalent issue is raised, why aren't the anti-smokers as outraged by the exhaust fumes?

In any case ghengkp75's point matches mine. The California mandated warning signs serve only to create a market for sign makers and are patently ridiculous. Why? Because no one pays any attention to them. Worse, the "known to the state of California" provides no actionable information. What are the specific hazards involved and by what products? Who knows.

The later example of people not being deterred at the entrance at Disneyland and the signs posted at the entrances of the Ports of Long Beach and San Pedro really make my point well about the hypocrisy of the anti-smoking brigade.

That said, I find second hand smoke unpleasant and would prefer that it not exist, much as I would prefer that I not find black exhaust specks on my white robe when I lounge on my balcony, the amount of anti-smoking rage is disproportionate.

Thanks, all, for doing a great job of making my point.

Huh? We have nothing against those who live in California. That is their choice. We just do NOT want to live there. Our taxes are SO much lower - that isn't baseless. :rolleyes: I won't be holding my breath waiting for an apology for the personal attack being called prejudice.

I have to respond, being an unhappy resident of California. We love the weather and the ease of boarding cruise ships at the Ports of Long Beach and San Pedro. Period. That's it.

Beyond that. our taxes are terrible (9.0% sales tax and a confiscatory income tax), anyone engaged in a legitimate business is viewed by the state as the enemy of the people by definition, the freeways (many soon to become tollways) can't handle the traffic, ridiculous laws (the LA City Council is currently considering a dog poo fine of $200 - if a homeowner has visible dog poo on his/her lawn and it isn't cleaned up, they will be fined $200 for the first offense) etc. and a legislature that has voted themselves salaries higher than those of US Senators and Representatives.

Very dear friends just moved from LA to Fort Collins and they absolutely don't regret the move.

Marry Ellen, you nailed it.

Huh? But that is what the OP was suggesting, bringing California green policy (as I stated, I think the signs are inane) to cruising. So he was the one to focus on state specific policies. I have a great deal of respect for Aquahound, he and I have met on these boards for a while, but like me, he doesn't suffer fools well (reference to OP, not you).

Thank you for your comments chengkp. I have a great deal of respect for you from your many knowledgeable posts I've read on the other cruise line boards. I muddled everything