Princess messenger app

Moondogy

Couple of quick questions. Has anyone used the princess messenger app yet? If so, does it use WiFi minutes.

I used it on my last cruise on Regal. Nice thing to have, but not quite as useful as real texting. The texting part works great, but it doesn't send a notification. So the person has to expect a message from you to read it quickly.

It runs off the ship's wifi app, not your purchased internet minutes. You download an app on your phone or tablet. There's a tab for texting, a tab for the patter events, a tab for your schedule (things you grab from the patter or things you set up), and a tab to look at your onboard bill.

There is no app (yet).

There is a website that you access via a browser on your phone, tablet, laptop, etc.

The website is shipname.princess.com

It can only be accessed while onboard. There was no charge when we were on the Ruby in Dec '14.

Carnival currently has a working App. There is a per day or per cruise fee associated with it. Reports indicate it is very popular. It won't work on Princess, but it does indicate that better things are coming.

Carnival currently has a working App. There is a per day or per cruise fee associated with it. Reports indicate it is very popular. It won't work on Princess, but it does indicate that better things are coming.

I am not sure if paying for this every day of a cruise is "a better thing coming".

I am not sure if paying for this every day of a cruise is "a better thing coming".

No one knows yet how the Princess app will work however Carnival's cost is $5 per cruise but it's nothing I'd use. Posts about the free Princess@Sea on the Regal say that it's possible to send a message (no app) but apparently not like Carnival's app which is like an instant message text.

"For $5 per cruise, app users can "chat" with other passengers on Breeze. The chat works just like text messaging and receivers get a notification when a new message has been received. It also has a group chat feature so multiple people can communicate at once".

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=6145

Hopefully Carnival & eventually Princess have a procedure such as requiring the use of hands-free headsets to eliminate the annoyance to passengers who want to escape from mobile devices & don't want to hear continuous "notification" tones from those who use it repeatedly.

If not, then like you it isn't "a better thing coming" for me either & it could be a major disruption for those of us who want to "Escape Completly". :eek:

Edited by Astro Flyer

If not, then like you it isn't "a better thing coming" for me either & it could be a major disruption for those of us who want to "Escape Completly". :eek:

As you no doubt know, Princess no longer uses the slogan "Escape Completely," except on printed materials that have not been used up yet.

Instead you will "Come Back New" which could mean a ringing in your ears from all the future notifications others will have while on board.

As you no doubt know, Princess no longer uses the slogan "Escape Completely," except on printed materials that have not been used up yet.

Instead you will "Come Back New" which could mean a ringing in your ears from all the future notifications others will have while on board.

You're correct & neither of those slogans would apply to me after listening to those texting alerts.