Caribbean Princess B2B 1/31-2/14/2015

Cruzin Grandma

Just My Thoughts

We arrived around 11:15 and being Platinum, we were able to use the priority line and since we were travelling with Elite, we were able to wait in the Elite lounge. We were on the ship and finished with lunch by 12:30 p.m. For the first time, we were given notice at check-in that our cabin would not be ready until 1:00 p.m., but when we arrived to drop off our things, it was ready. Our Steward, Sabino was the best we’ve had since they started doing the auto gratuity. He took such good care of us and was so personable. We always have good service, but he couldn’t do enough for us.

I learned last year that if I wanted laundry tokens, I should get them the first day when the token machine should be full. However, the token machine in the laundry on Deck 14 was Out of Order as was one of the washing machines. I checked every day and the token machine and washing machine were Out of Order the entire two weeks. I truly love everything Princess, but the upkeep on the Caribbean Princess is not as good as on other Princess ships. Also, on Deck 7 the several cabinets that hold extra life jackets were missing doors and plastic was taped over the opening. I’ve never seen that before either. I noticed some areas where the carpets were worn, but also there are a lot of common areas where you could see the carpet had been recently replaced. Our cabin was clean and in good repair.

Another first, at least for me, was an announcement after Muster that several people did not attend and would need to attend Muster at 4:00 in one of the lounges (I can’t remember which one). This was also announced after Muster the 2nd week. As for not having to Muster on B2B, it is true, however, the instructions are blasted throughout the ship.

We really enjoyed the entertainment these two weeks. Dan Riley, Al Katz were good. Lovene B. Fox was excellent and comedian Troy Thirdgill was one of the best we’ve seen. As he said, he does a very “clean” show. We really enjoyed Piano Man, but Do You Wanna Dance was just OK for us. At the Rock & Roll party in Explorer’s I met the famous Jeannie (Pescado Amarillo-my blogger friend-when I’m quoting from her blog) and G. She is most gracious and down to earth, just like her blog.

Food, as always is subjective, was very good. We ate the Crown Grill twice and our steaks were perfectly cooked and the service was excellent. We also had Pub Lunch several times and it was quite good too.

When we arrived in Grand Cayman, we waited a little while to go ashore. When we were ready, we went to the dining room (with our Elite friends) and waited for about 5 minutes before we were called to proceed to the tenders. As we were going down the stairs a group of 4 adults tried to get into our line and a staff member nicely explained they should go to the dining room for a tender ticket. They seem a little agitated and tried to go around the corner to sneak in line another way, but he staff member followed them and more sternly this time, told them to go to the dining room. I am not sure what happened, but I very much appreciated the staff member trying to make people follow the rules.

The first leg was the Super Bowl group and honestly, if I had not read on Cruise Critic about the group, I never would have known they were there. They did not take over the ship, in my opinion, at all. Their Super Bowl party was in the Princess Theatre and we watched the game in Club Fusion.

On turnaround day there were of 1,300 people doing the B2B so we decided to walk off the ship around 10:00 a.m., took a cab to 17th Street, went for breakfast, Publix and Total Wine. We took a cab back around 12:00 and walked right back on the ship. I am not sure how long it took for everyone staying on the ship to get back on, but I heard about an hour and a half.

During the 2nd week, we became Elite. After we received paperwork in our cabin regarding Elite benefits, we went to the Captain’s Circle Hostess, Yuki, about our debarkation times on the 14th. She was really no help, she said just fill out the paperwork sent to your cabin. Clearly on the information we received it said the Captain’s Circle Hostess would get you your preferred times. Also, when we asked about our Elite cards, she said to ask a Passenger Services. Passenger Services told us we should talk to Yuki. Needless to say, I didn’t go back to Yuki, I just went to Passenger Services and the person made us new cards, no redirection.

I would sail Caribbean Princess again, even with the minor upkeep issues. I would love to see Princess build more ships this size instead of the bigger ships.

Happy Cruising!!

Thanks for your report.

The out of order token machine and washing machine as well as the cabinets without proper doors along with reports of numerous problems on the Grand indicate a trend of not keeping the ships in "ship-shape."

That is a bad way to reduce current costs.

Thanks for your review. DW and I are doing a 2 week BTB on CB starting April 11. Do you recall the movies that played in MUTS? Also, do you recall which broadway shows were running?

THanks

Caribbean Caliente, Born to be Wild, Do you wanna dance and Piano Man. I don't recall the movies shown on MUTS, sorry😞.

How often do they change the movies in muts? Are the shows seasonal? Sounds like a good cruise [emoji6]

Two or three new movies are added each month to replace some older ones.

The movies added are ones that have just become available to the pubic on DVDs or will soon be so available.

I was on the this cruise for the week ending Feb 14 and having so many people on the B2B realy changed the dynamics of the cruise.

First Princess did not start processing any passengers until close to Noon, there was line as far as you could see outside the terminal, with no accurate information.

We had a full suite, and we were on with the first 20 people, and went directly to the Sanctuary, only to find out it was sold out by the people who had B2B cruises!!!!

They showed the movie Boyhood, but guess when they showed it??

They showed it at 1PM at the exact time we docked in Turks and Caicos--Huh??

It must be me!!