My chat with Celebrity F&W MGR, Re: Luminae

Kevnzworld

I had the pleasure of meeting Chef John Sully ( Celebrity AVP Food and Wine and director of culinary operations ) a few nights ago at the South Beach Food and Wine festival in Miami. Celebrity was one of the sponsors of the gala main event, Best of the Best. Ironically John had previously worked at the Fontainebleau, site of the event.

I introduced myself to him and asked as politely as possible if I could ask him a few questions. He was very gratuitous, forthcoming and happy to answer my questions about Luminae and Blu.

Here are the highlights of what I learned.

The food budget for Luminae is much larger than that of the other restaurants.

It will have a dedicated kitchen carved out of a portion of the MDR kitchen.

They have hired some new chefs, and some others are being moved from Murano and being trained further. Evidently Murano is where the better chefs at Celebrity reside. It's impossible to hire an entirely new staff for eight ships simultaneously, thus they are culling from Murano.

They WILL source local ingredients where possible, including fresh fish. I pressed him on this, and he explained further. Since Luminae is smaller, and has a separate budget, they can order their own ingredients from various pre arranged ports. This can include fresh salmon and halibut when in Alaska, and other fish in the Mediterranean as well as fruits, vegetables, herbs etc. Evidently there will be variation from the strict 14 day menus.

I expressed my concerns about non suite guests getting access to Luminae and how it would affect table availability for suite guests, especially in the crowded 7-8 PM time period.

He reiterated that it would be controlled and based on availability....I told him that I didn't see how that would work successfully....

Lastly I asked him about the menus that haven't changed in Blu and the specialty restaurants.

He told me that they do plan on " updating " the menus in 2015.

Lastly I told him how much I liked Celebrity and how much I was looking forward to the new suite dining room, and the prospect of " better " food on the Celebrity ships.

I left the conversation hopeful and optimistic. Unfortunately because of our previously booked cruise we won't be able to try the restaurant until our Alaska cruise on the Solstice in June ...I can't wait for the reviews!

Edited by Kevnzworld

We are looking forward to the upgraded menu in Luminae, as we along with many others miss the Michael Roux days which made us X converts.

Thanks for taking the time to report your conversation. We have been booking suites for the separate bedroom and additional space but now truly a new dining experience awaits us also.

It has been rare when we have not found something we liked on the MDR menu but a freshening of those menus will be welcomed by all I think. Even in Murano etc some changes would be most welcome too.

Thanks for the report. Your conversation confirms what I've been hearing. In on Connie and they have completed a galley for the new restaurant. I'm somewhat concerned with a possible decline in Murano and Murano type restaurants. Am heaing some complaints from those who have dined in Ovean Liners on my last two cruises. I'll delay any judgments until I actually try the new venue.

Thanks for the report. Your conversation confirms what I've been hearing. In on Connie and they have completed a galley for the new restaurant. I'm somewhat concerned with a possible decline in Murano and Murano type restaurants. Am heaing some complaints from those who have dined in Ovean Liners on my last two cruises. I'll delay any judgments until I actually try the new venue.

Hi Charles, how long are you going to be sailing? I will be on board

March 7th.

We are looking forward to the upgraded menu in Luminae, as we along with many others miss the Michael Roux days which made us X converts.

It has been rare when we have not found something we liked on the MDR menu but a freshening of those menus will be welcomed by all I think. Even in Murano etc some changes would be most welcome too.

Unfortunately I never sailed on Celebrity in the Michael Roux days, so I have no basis to compare. John was originally hired by his predecessor , Jacques Van Staden who also is no longer with Celebrity.

Too much can be made of these old school celebrity chef culinary poobah's IMO .

I recently sailed on Oceania, where Jacques Pepin has that role, to say that I was underwhelmed would be an understatement.

I will be on the Summit April 11th cruise. I will let you know. It will be the second cruise with new suite dining. I`m sure there will be kinks to work out.

I look forward to your review....

I see that you reside in La Quinta, as do I. La Quinta leaves a lot to be desired in the culinary/ food department...except for Morgans. It's too bad Figue died...

I guess that's why we travel/ cruise !

Hi Kevenzworld. I live walking distance to Figue. It has been several different restaurants and I have never like the ambience there. We have lived in the desert for 15 yrs. and I don`t think there are many good restaurants here. I was at the Cork and Fork last night and the Pizza and wilted romaine salad was smashing. I enjoy your posts as we have sailed on most of the luxury lines but find X is still a good fit for us. Suite dining room will be a plus.

Only had lunch at Ocean Liners on our last cruise...while the food was excellent service was nothing special...not as good as Tuscan or BLU,! Maybe it was better for dinner.

wonder if quality in food/servicd in secialty dining will slip during the transition.

Glad to hear there may be something new on BLU menus

Edited by hcat

With respect to overcrowding, I intend to rotate this with the other specialty restaurants. I can't see all occupants of RS and above having dinner here every evening when they can eat anywhere.

On the Silhouette this past week the Restaurant Manager said only the children of suite occupants (children in other cabins) will be guaranteed entrance into the restaurant. Not parents. Celebrity needs to get their act together on this.

Also on Silhouette, was told most of the new restaurant construction was done.

Ooops dup post.,sorry.?

Edited by hcat