Summit: Biggest covered verandas?

Suskies

We're getting ready to book our first Celebrity cruise, on the Summit. We would like to get a cabin with as large a covered veranda as possible. Without spending a fortune, which are our best bets? The deck plans for Deck 7 suggest that the forward 2Cs have bigger verandas than most of the 2As, and that the six or eight 2As farthest aft have bigger verandas than the others. Am I reading this right? Thanks!

We're getting ready to book our first Celebrity cruise, on the Summit. We would like to get a cabin with as large a covered veranda as possible. Without spending a fortune, which are our best bets? The deck plans for Deck 7 suggest that the forward 2Cs have bigger verandas than most of the 2As, and that the six or eight 2As farthest aft have bigger verandas than the others. Am I reading this right? Thanks!

It's the 2C's on deck 6 that have the larger balconies. The first 8 on each side, 6016 to 6030 starboard and 6021 - 6035 portside. I don't know about the 2A's that you refer to but they do look larger on the deck plan.

There are cruises where the Aqua class cabins are less than, or marginally more than the Concierge class cabins. In that case the deck 9 Aqua class cabins, particularly those under the Lido café, where overhead noise is abated by carpeting, are a real bargain. The Aqua aft cabins on 11, not those on the port or starboard side, also have terrific balconies with graduated covers.

There are other perks associated with both Concierge and Aqua class to be considered.

The deck 6 cabins noted are called "The Sweet Sixteen" and are much sought after cabins. They sell out quickly.

The balconies forward on Deck 6 are the ones called "Sweet Sixteen" - there are eight on each side. They are 2C cabins - the cheapest of the regular balcony cabins. The first three are considered partially obstructed because of the steel beams on each side.

The verandas are twice the size of the other regular veranda cabins. The back half of the veranda is covered, and the front half is open (also open to the cabins above - they can see in). However, if you are sitting on the covered part of your balcony, they really can't see you.

We were able to snag the 4th cabin from the front for our Bermuda cruise on the Summit in May, and we are really looking forward to the larger balcony. Now we have a choice to sit in the sun or in the shade!

Here is a link that shows a photo of the Sweet Sixteens. They are identical on each side.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=1426

Edited by DinaS

I may stand corrected, but in anything under a suite, the biggest balcony on a non-accessible is 1140

I think that's an A1 Aqua cabin, which is just a couple hundred less than the lowest price suite.

It seems like the OP is trying to avoid spending the big bucks :)

We were in cabin 6023 on Constellation and the balcony was extra large. I think it would be the same on Summit. The only disadvantage is that if the people in the cabin above you are on their balcony, they are looking directly down at you. :)

That's one of the "Sweet Sixteen" balcony cabins.

I am just wondering - how did you feel about those steel beams on either side of your balcony? We have the 4th cabin from the front - and the steel pillar is only on one side with no overhang.

It appears that if you are sitting on the covered portion of your balcony, the people from above can't see you. Is that true?

I think that's an A1 Aqua cabin, which is just a couple hundred less than the lowest price suite.

It seems like the OP is trying to avoid spending the big bucks :)

Wasn't much more expensive then a balcony when we booked ours for the Caribbean.... (didn't get it for Bermuda sadly :o )

I may stand corrected, but in anything under a suite, the biggest balcony on a non-accessible is 1140

And good luck trying to get it. We have 1138 for May 2016, had to book it 2 months ago and were lucky to get it then.

Laura

Wasn't much more expensive then a balcony when we booked ours for the Caribbean.... (didn't get it for Bermuda sadly :o )

The pricing seems to be all over the place.

I have noticed that the Bermuda cruises are almost always more than the Caribbean cruises across the board. Perhaps that accounts for the bigger difference in pricing.

My vote would be for the "Sweet Sixteen" -- especially the "corners" (6030 & 6035), if you only want to pay for a veranda cabin (they're 2C's). But, if you want to splurge for a C-1, absolutely go for the aft cabins. The Sweet Sixteen's are great, but you could park a Winnebago on those aft balconies! :D

My vote would be for the "Sweet Sixteen" -- especially the "corners" (6030 & 6035), if you only want to pay for a veranda cabin (they're 2C's). But, if you want to splurge for a C-1, absolutely go for the aft cabins. The Sweet Sixteen's are great, but you could park a Winnebago on those aft balconies! :D

Our experience exactly. We had 7208 (aft C-1) on Summit and 6020 (Sweet 16) on the Millenium. Both with larger than average balconies with very different pricepoints.

We loved the aft view on the Summit, but loved the price tag on the Millie.

Would book either one again.

That's one of the "Sweet Sixteen" balcony cabins.

I am just wondering - how did you feel about those steel beams on either side of your balcony? We have the 4th cabin from the front - and the steel pillar is only on one side with no overhang.

It appears that if you are sitting on the covered portion of your balcony, the people from above can't see you. Is that true?

To tell you the truth, I never noticed any steel beams so they must not have bothered me. I had to go look in my pictures to see what you were referring too. We were on a 2-day cruise and booked a balcony guarantee. We were surprised and happy to get such a huge balcony. :)

If you're under the covered part, the people above can't see you. But if you're in the "sticking-out" part, they definitely can.

Here are a couple of pictures I found of the balcony.

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

Edited by CruisinCrow

To tell you the truth, I never noticed any steel beams so they must not have bothered me. I had to go look in my pictures to see what you were referring too. We were on a 2-day cruise and booked a balcony guarantee. We were surprised and happy to get such a huge balcony. :)

If you're under the covered part, the people above can't see you. But if you're in the "sticking-out" part, they definitely can.

Here are a couple of pictures I found of the balcony.

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

Thanks so much! We are really looking forward to our larger balcony!

Thank you all! My husband is very sun sensitive, so we were looking for verandas with maximum shaded space. It sounds like the shaded space is pretty equal across most verandas (unless you move up to C1)--if a veranda is larger, the additional space is unshaded. Am I reading this right?