2 Night Nowhere on Breakaway- A Few Questions

cruisexlife

Hello,

I have taken a new interest in NCL, and I really want to try a Norwegian Cruise sometime soon. I am looking at a week on Spirit from Canaveral, but as a little family adventure, I'd like to try out the Breakaway on a 2 night cruise. I have a few questions, and if you have answers, please leave them. It's greatly appreciated.

1) Temps. I know it's going to be cold in the winter, but I was wondering what it's going to be like during our sea day on Saturday.

2) Boarding. This is the biggest issue. I follow a school schedule, and I would rather not take a day off at this time of year, as it's the time for semester exams. The earliest I would be able to get out would be around 1:30. It's a 3 hour 15 minute drive to New York, straight up 95. So, if there's no traffic and things go well, I'm in NYC by 4:45, parked, and on the lido by 5:30. The website says the ship leaves at 6PM, most likely ideal for people who are driving or working or whatever. What time does boarding end? There's no customs and I wouldn't imagine the ship needing much clearance to depart. But in the event of an accident, or an issue, if we called NCL, could they hold the ship until 6:30? I know that's a lot to ask but in the event of something happening. I know that if you book a shore excursion through the ship, the boat can't leave without you. Does NCL have a similar thing for departure from the homeport?

3) Sea Conditions. Many say the seas are like glass in January and February, is this a fact or a myth?

4) Onboard Activities. Breakaway is famed for its Ropes Course, Plank, Waterslides, Rockwall, etc. I cannot imagine that all of these things would be closed, but what is going on on deck during this cruise? Can you still do the ropes course? Not too bummed about the Waterslides, but are there any pools with retractable roofs or covered hottubs or anything? What are other popular NCL activities going on inside the ship.

5) Formal Night. Is there a formal night on a 2 night cruise?

6) Parking. How much is parking at the Port of NY? We parked offsite last time.

7) What to pack. Big suitcase or little suitcase? Are there porters for a short cruise? Any specific items I should bring?

8) Any tips, tricks, and insiders about NCL and/or the Breakaway :D

Thanks in advance, and I really hope this happens! Thanks!! :D

Edited by cruisexlife

I just checked, and there's also a cruise on the Gem in October, over halloween, Friday-Sunday, from New York. The advantage to this one is that I get out 2 hours earlier on that specific Friday, so I could be in New York by 3!

I assume the same ground rules apply, which most of my questions were about, but what's on Gem? Is she a good ship? Is there much to do on her on a 2 night cruise?

PS- Why isn't this cruise showing up on the Norwegian website? It's showing up on an app on my phone called iCruise but not on NCL.com . It was October 30th- November 1st

Edited by cruisexlife

Hello,

I have taken a new interest in NCL, and I really want to try a Norwegian Cruise sometime soon. I am looking at a week on Spirit from Canaveral, but as a little family adventure, I'd like to try out the Breakaway on a 2 night cruise. I have a few questions, and if you have answers, please leave them. It's greatly appreciated.

1) Temps. I know it's going to be cold in the winter, but I was wondering what it's going to be like during our sea day on Saturday. - it will be cold, a lot of things will be closed

2) Boarding. This is the biggest issue. I follow a school schedule, and I would rather not take a day off at this time of year, as it's the time for semester exams. The earliest I would be able to get out would be around 1:30. It's a 3 hour 15 minute drive to New York, straight up 95. So, if there's no traffic and things go well, I'm in NYC by 4:45, parked, and on the lido by 5:30. The website says the ship leaves at 6PM, most likely ideal for people who are driving or working or whatever. What time does boarding end? There's no customs and I wouldn't imagine the ship needing much clearance to depart. But in the event of an accident, or an issue, if we called NCL, could they hold the ship until 6:30? I know that's a lot to ask but in the event of something happening. I know that if you book a shore excursion through the ship, the boat can't leave without you. Does NCL have a similar thing for departure from the homeport?

They will not hold the ship for you, I went to bermuda for a week and they left a bus load of people behind, also you are looking at offsite parking so you have to add that into your calculations and btw there is always traffic in Manhattan on a Friday.

3) Sea Conditions. Many say the seas are like glass in January and February, is this a fact or a myth?

I went on all 3 2 nighters and on 1 of them we were on lockdown for Saturday as the seas were too rough to go outside at all.

4) Onboard Activities. Breakaway is famed for its Ropes Course, Plank, Waterslides, Rockwall, etc. I cannot imagine that all of these things would be closed, but what is going on on deck during this cruise? Can you still do the ropes course? Not too bummed about the Waterslides, but are there any pools with retractable roofs or covered hottubs or anything? What are other popular NCL activities going on inside the ship.

See above about the lockdown and the only indoor stuff is if you book a haven or a spa pass

It is freestyle, you make it what you want, formal, non formal, it's all up to you

40 per day

7) What to pack. Big suitcase or little suitcase? Are there porters for a short cruise? Any specific items I should bring?

No porters carry your own, you decide on your luggage

Make your specialty dining reservations quick, the good restaurants sell out quickly

I just checked, and there's also a cruise on the Gem in October, over halloween, Friday-Sunday, from New York. The advantage to this one is that I get out 2 hours earlier on that specific Friday, so I could be in New York by 3!

I assume the same ground rules apply, which most of my questions were about, but what's on Gem? Is she a good ship? Is there much to do on her on a 2 night cruise?

PS- Why isn't this cruise showing up on the Norwegian website? It's showing up on an app on my phone called iCruise but not on NCL.com . It was October 30th- November 1st

That 2 nighter was cancelled months back, that's why it is gone from NCL's site, it should have been gone from the site you used

All other answers are above after your questions

Edited by iimmie

"2) Boarding. This is the biggest issue. I follow a school schedule, and I would rather not take a day off at this time of year, as it's the time for semester exams. The earliest I would be able to get out would be around 1:30. It's a 3 hour 15 minute drive to New York, straight up 95. So, if there's no traffic and things go well, I'm in NYC by 4:45, parked, and on the lido by 5:30. The website says the ship leaves at 6PM, most likely ideal for people who are driving or working or whatever. What time does boarding end? There's no customs and I wouldn't imagine the ship needing much clearance to depart. But in the event of an accident, or an issue, if we called NCL, could they hold the ship until 6:30? I know that's a lot to ask but in the event of something happening. I know that if you book a shore excursion through the ship, the boat can't leave without you. Does NCL have a similar thing for departure from the homeport?"

This is NOT a good idea. It only works on paper. The keyword is "if" there's no traffic and I can 99.999999% guarantee you there will be traffic...especially on a Friday. Not to mention you'll be arriving during rush hour. Lastly NCL will not hold the ship for you. Youtube pier runners....you don't want to be one of them.

Hello,

1) Temps. I know it's going to be cold in the winter, but I was wondering what it's going to be like during our sea day on Saturday.

We are doing a 2 nighter next January and will be taking Friday off to make sure we have plenty of time to get to the pier (of course we have to driver further. From what I've read they can make it far enough south that the temps get into the 60's. Not beachin' weather but I expect for us it will feel balmy. Sea conditions are catch as catch can and it could be smooth or not, there's no way to know for sure. I am not sure what topside activities they will have open but expect that they will have many of them available. NCL has no formal nights on any of their cruises, cruise casual is the order of the day unless you choose to dress up (they do have photographers around to take pictures against different back drops). Parking is $40 a night at the pier and it's super convenient. We will probably be packing two carryons for our two nighter.

I live 10 miles from NYC, and on a Friday afternoon it will take me over an hour to get into the city. Heck, a lot of your drive will hit stop and go traffic - give yourself 6 hours. Parking is $40 per day.

One of the reasons why we might leave home on Thursday night and get closer to the city (that and any potential weather related issues).

I did a 2 day ctn over valentine's day weekend. There is customs. The ship came in from a 12 Caribbean on the day we were to sail. We went through security before checking in. And when you come back there is customs-- you still need to fill out the form and go through customs.

as for weather it was frigid with high winds. The 13th of feb was the coldest day in NY for about 20 years with wind chills below zero.The past few weeks here NY,NJ,CT we have had major storms. So this will impact your use of the outside decks. I did see on our cruise sat that the Dj was playing out by the pool, no one was out there for the temp was probably around 20 with high winds. And it snowed while out at sea..The hot tubs are open out on deck. Unless you book the haven, in which case there is the pool inside. very small. There are hot tubs in the haven as well.

We did not go south on that sailing as some have mentioned. We sailed along long island. The captain made an announcement on sat that is was going to get rough and decided to bring us back to port early. He was going to meet the pilot boat at 1 am. Again it was due to the impending storm.

we parked at port --$40 a day. NO porters carry your own luggage on and off.

Activities- outside rock climbing wall depends on weather and winds. There is plenty to do inside.

We got to NY around 1 pm parked and walked to the pier. I heard they started to board around 12 noon that day.

Although the ship leaves at 6pm you are required to be on board by 4pm. They will not wait for anyone nor hold the ship for you. Due to it being in the winter you need to take into consideration weather and traffic. The morning of our cruise the lincoln tunnel had a 1 hour an 19 minute delay due to an overturned truck. so leave early or come in the day before.

A 2 nighter is how we tried out NCL years ago. It at least gave a feel for NCL style.

We were on the 1/30 2 nighter and I can tell you the 2 hours before boarding did not apply for the CTN. We watched people boarding at 5:45 and sailaway was 6pm. Would I personally chance it? No. But I was on our balcony watching people run into the terminal and check-in, and come up the gangway. Yes, at 5:45pm.

You never know what the weather will be like. This year it was very cold and nothing was going on outside after the sailaway party, which was fun--odd to be dancing in your coats outside! Though this cruise had rough water on Saturday, last year's 1/31 2 nighter had calm water--calm enough that I sat out on our balcony with a jacket on and felt the warmth of the sun. So I don't dismiss (short) winter cruises because you really never know.

Yes, there is a customs check when you come back in to NYC. They started this on CTNs in 2013. It's usually very quick.

Edited by mizlorinj

On our January 16-18 CTN it was about 50-55 degrees during our sea day.

If you're not there for the ship to leave at 6, they will not hold it. All aboard is at 4pm, and while there may be exceptions to getting on, it's not something I would chance ever.

Seas tend to be kinda rocky in January but you won't really feel it at all. The Breakaway is huge and going really, really slowly, so it shouldn't be too bad. We slightly felt the boat move on our sea day. Very veeeeery slightly.

Hot tubs are all open, and you better believe people we in them in 30 degree weather. Pools are also open and some people took advantage during the sea day, but not many. No slides or ropes courses. Everything indoors is business as usual!

There is no "formal night" but they do their famous "glow party" where many people dress to impress in white.

$40 a day

There are no porters. A small suitcase should suffice.

It's a crazy, party atmosphere so you have to be prepared for that! Get to places early to get a seat. O'Sheehans is almost always packed.