Department of Homeland Security

qsuzi

Per a Yahoo article, Congress is trying to determine how to fund the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) before the agency runs out of money Friday. The article takes a by-the-numbers look at how a shutdown could affect DHS workers, as well as the day-to-day operations of some of the country’s most visible agencies, including the Transportation Security Administration, Customs and Border Protection and Immigration and Customs Enforcement.

Potential effect on cruisers include:

----200,000 (projected) overall number of DHS workers who would continue to do their jobs without pay in the event of a shutdown. A full quarter of that number — more than 50,000 workers — would be TSA security agents tasked with screening air travelers across the country.

----40,000 — Customs and Border Protection employees would work without pay, as would 13,000 Immigration and Customs Enforcement agents.

Edited by qsuzi

The employees receive deferred (back) pay when the funding agreement is reached. The same thing happened last time. A lot of the articles are written to make it sound like people are losing pay. While it sucks to go without pay for a period of time, it's good to know that they'll get their back pay after the funding impasse is settled.

I cannot figure out why that fact is almost never mentioned in any of the articles. Reporting is getting to the point where I'm amazed they even get the sports scores right. ;)

The employees receive deferred (back) pay when the funding agreement is reached. The same thing happened last time. A lot of the articles are written to make it sound like people are losing pay. While it sucks to go without pay for a period of time, it's good to know that they'll get their back pay after the funding impasse is settled.

I cannot figure out why that fact is almost never mentioned in any of the articles. Reporting is getting to the point where I'm amazed they even get the sports scores right. ;)

I'll drink to that.:D

POA1 - you are correct about the backpay in the past. BUT, as a retired government employee I can tell you that providing back pay IS NO AUTOMATIC NOR REQUIRED. So, each time we had to work without pay (or be put on leave without pay), we never could be sure what congress would do about that. To provide back pay - it had to be voted in. Despite the history of providing the back pay (probably 4-5 times in my career), it made folks nervous.

Regarding the impact on the workers.I do not know about the TSA, but in my experience with hospital employees - care levels did NOT suffer during no pay times where I worked.

Much ado about nothing. The way the pay periods are set up, DHS workers will continue to get paid through March 16. The March 16 paycheck would be for the hours worked through Feb 27. I'm sure they will have figured something out by then.

Much ado about nothing. The way the pay periods are set up, DHS workers will continue to get paid through March 16. The March 16 paycheck would be for the hours worked through Feb 27. I'm sure they will have figured something out by then.

There has been some positive movement on this issue to support your optimism. Thanks for your information.

They can economize by dropping half of the TSA force and conducting only REASONABLE security screenings at airports. So much of what they do is smoke and mirrors. A huge waste of money IMO.

Why do you say smoke and mirrors and REASONABLE security screenings? I only fly about 4 times a year but it does seem there are many just standing around and too few checking ID before going through screening. There are really long lines at SEA Tac because of TSA related issues for example.

Good luck to the cruise lines if customs clearance gets any slower.

Where have you had this issue? We are wondering how it will be at Vancouver but based on the airport website it looks like they are modernized.

Edited by qsuzi

Why do you say smoke and mirrors and REASONABLE security screenings?
TSA/FAA tests conducted at major airports around the country have shown that weapons can make it through and get on aircraft. All the hoopla surrounding TSA screening is no guarantee.

http://www.wired.com/2014/08/study-shows-how-easily-weapons-can-be-smuggled-past-tsas-x-ray-body-scanners/

TSA/FAA tests conducted at major airports around the country have shown that weapons can make it through and get on aircraft. All the hoopla surrounding TSA screening is no guarantee.

http://www.wired.com/2014/08/study-shows-how-easily-weapons-can-be-smuggled-past-tsas-x-ray-body-scanners/

I see what you mean. I now don't have to go through the x ray body scanners but previously every time I went through them it showed multiple areas that turned out to be nothing because there was nothing.:D

Edited by qsuzi

I was reading about this earlier. I wonder what all this will mean in the airports. What kind of sense of urgency will all those agents who aren't getting paid have?

Since there is no sense of urgency that I can see when they are getting paid I don't think it is possible to step things down much.

If customs is not paid (though all their personal bills do no take a sabbatical) whats the incentive to work ? Imagine several people call in sick leaving one customs official to clear a ship, and they decide to do it by the book. A ship might clear and be zero'd out by 4pm. There can be real consequences to a shut down.

They can economize by dropping half of the TSA force and conducting only REASONABLE security screenings at airports. So much of what they do is smoke and mirrors. A huge waste of money IMO.

Are you implying that the extensive TSA (Totally Senseless Agency) search of my 85 year old Korean War wounded Marine vet father in law (where he was asked to remove his shoes, partially pull down his pants, and otherwise be groped and interrogated ) was unreasonable? Unfortunately this overzealous and ridiculous scrutiny occured on both legs of his flight. I wonder why he now refuses to fly.

Are you implying that the extensive TSA (Totally Senseless Agency) search of my 85 year old Korean War wounded Marine vet father in law (where he was asked to remove his shoes, partially pull down his pants, and otherwise be groped and interrogated ) was unreasonable? Unfortunately this overzealous and ridiculous scrutiny occured on both legs of his flight. I wonder why he now refuses to fly.

Appalling!

Add to this the obnoxious manner in which one is spoken to, it all adds up to a total disgrace to the uniform and their country.

The TSA employees will get fired if they don't show up to work. For those old enough, remember when they fired all the Air Traffic controllers for going on strike in 1980? In 2012, my boss (a 2nd level supervisor with 25 years federal service) was notified that if she was 'deemed essential' for furlough in Oct., and didn't show up, she would be fired. She was in the middle if a long planned cruise to the Mediterranean. Fortunately for her we we not essential. We already had 3 unpaid furlough days that year that were NOT reimbursed, then we're off work 17 days. Yes employees did get paid for end of Sept during that time, but didn't know if they would get reimbursed when they were called back to work or how long they would be off. So with that pay check they had to make a choice to pay rent/car payment/utilities - or save the money in case that was all the get for - who knew how long. And the Essential employees (TSA) had to make that decision while being required to report for work every day.

No pay, no work.

Very simple. Nobody here in Belgium would work for even a day if salaries are not received on time.

Not paying salary is voiding any contractual obligation to come to work.

Despegue, if US Federal employees were so allowed to not work, that might make approving a budget a higher priority for our Houses of Congress! But no more politics, the crisis has been avoided for 3 weeks. Let's talk about going on a trouble free cruise!:D

Despegue, if US Federal employees were so allowed to not work, that might make approving a budget a higher priority for our Houses of Congress! But no more politics, the crisis has been avoided for 3 weeks. Let's talk about going on a trouble free cruise!:D

Here's to a trouble free cruise. Ours starts Saturday! :D

Edited by qsuzi

No pay, no work.

Very simple. Nobody here in Belgium would work for even a day if salaries are not received on time.

Not paying salary is voiding any contractual obligation to come to work.

Government employees fall into a different category here in the US. They can be in essence forced to come to work even if they are not being paid on time. Failure to show up for work could lead to dismissal though admittedly that's an extreme situation. While some government employees are covered by union negotiated "contracts" these contracts are not quite the same as a totally private corporation and its contracts with its employees.

The "crisis" was avoided for only one week. The 3 week bill did not pass.