Detained in Security for Mistaking Wine or Champagne Opener for Pliers

I have no idea...I've never heard of anyone threatening someone with pliers....it's not a box cutter! Halt..or I'll squeeze your nose!!!! Horrors!

Maybe, they think you'll open the balcony dividers illegally!

Edited by cb at sea

Anybody know why I've been stopped in port security? Both times they let us continue when we told them that we had a champagne or wine opener, not pliers. What's so bad about pliers?

Please tell us more about this AWESOME wine opener?

We have multiple corkscrews in our bags, both checked and carryon. Never been an issue and as you can see, we travel often. We are flying a half dozen times a year.

We have multiple corkscrews in our bags, both checked and carryon. Never been an issue and as you can see, we travel often. We are flying a half dozen times a year.

A champagne opener doesn't look anything like a corkscrew. It does, however, resemble a pair of pliers. That said, I've never understood the need for any type of tool to open a bottle of champagne. At least I haven't found a need for using one in 40+ years of opening them.

My husband is a sport fisherman who used to travel with a portable fishing rod. He had his pliers, which where in his backpack along with some other fishing gear, confiscated at the New York port. We were boarding an NCL ship. He was told that pliers were not permitted because you could tamper with the structure of the ship. I thought they were joking about that but maybe not.

I didn't even realize that a Champagne opener was a thing. Granted, I'm not much of a Champagne drinker, so my experience with opening bottles is usually limited to New Year's Eve. But I've never used anything to open a bottle other than my hands. I have learned two new things from this thread - there is a tool for opening Champagne, and you're not allowed to bring pliers with you on a cruise ship. :cool:

Anybody know why I've been stopped in port security? Both times they let us continue when we told them that we had a champagne or wine opener, not pliers. What's so bad about pliers?

From what I have read here on Cruise Critic, openers with a knife or a foil cutter are taken by security. Does your opener have a foil cutter or knife?

I didn't even realize that a Champagne opener was a thing. Granted, I'm not much of a Champagne drinker, so my experience with opening bottles is usually limited to New Year's Eve. But I've never used anything to open a bottle other than my hands. I have learned two new things from this thread - there is a tool for opening Champagne, and you're not allowed to bring pliers with you on a cruise ship. :cool:

Ditto.

Those corkscrews they give you have very small handgrip area and it's hard to get any leverage. If you have a bottle with a very tight cork, or you chilled it in ice water, it can be a PITA to open.

I prefer to bring my own, something like this, which has a non-blade foil cutter

http://www.amazon.com/Black-Boomerang-Corkscrew-Blade-Cutter/dp/B001ARYJNG

Those corkscrews they give you have very small handgrip area and it's hard to get any leverage. If you have a bottle with a very tight cork, or you chilled it in ice water, it can be a PITA to open.

I prefer to bring my own, something like this, which has a non-blade foil cutter

http://www.amazon.com/Black-Boomerang-Corkscrew-Blade-Cutter/dp/B001ARYJNG

lol you have problems opening a wine bottle???

With those cheap corkscrews that RCI gives you? Yes. They are terrible. There's no leverage, because the handle part is only a couple inches long. Tight corks and/or cold bottles in high humidity make it worse.

As an amateur wine snob, I don't want to fight with my wine, I want to enjoy it.

With those cheap corkscrews that RCI gives you? Yes. They are terrible. There's no leverage, because the handle part is only a couple inches long. Tight corks and/or cold bottles in high humidity make it worse.

As an amateur wine snob, I don't want to fight with my wine, I want to enjoy it.

Jp's reply was hostle. Nobody expects a reply to acknowledge such posters.

Burt

Such as the waiter/waitress wine openers have a foil cutter in the form of a knife built in them. I guess they are really cracking down on travel tools of all sorts. It seems to be hit or miss if they see them in your checked luggage.

Such as the waiter/waitress wine openers have a foil cutter in the form of a knife built in them. I guess they are really cracking down on travel tools of all sorts. It seems to be hit or miss if they see them in your checked luggage.

DH has had cruise lines take a way a corkscrew with a little foil knife. We laugh, as if anybody would choose that tiny, dull foil knife for a knife fight (or even for a tool) when other knives (including bigger sharper ones like steak knives) are on the tables regularly.

DH has had cruise lines take a way a corkscrew with a little foil knife. We laugh, as if anybody would choose that tiny, dull foil knife for a knife fight (or even for a tool) when other knives (including bigger sharper ones like steak knives) are on the tables regularly.

Logic appears to fog the brains of those with "better safe than sorry" tatooed on their foreheads.

Just think of the items readily available onboard a ship. Seriously. And, by the way, without giving out any secrets, a 5th grader could easily conceal said items if they wanted to. It is only an issue with those that have it out in the open.

Okay sheep... line up over here. Next to the fox please.

I asked this same question here on CC last June. My suitcase went to the naughty room because I had a pair of wire snips, about 5" long (blades less than an inch long). The exact snips we have taken on at least 12 RCI cruises, probably more, without a problem. They kept calling them "pliers" and the word pliers was on my receipt. I tried to tell them they weren't pliers but they wouldn't let have them back until the end of the cruise.

It seems no one here on CC really knows why pliers are bad on a ship, when anyone who really wanted to could find more destructive tools on the ship itself....don't need to bring them with you.

Weird, but we will switch to fingernail clippers in the future. :)

Metrokane Rabbit Champagne Pliers, Velvet Gray

We had the opener in a ziploc w/our bottle stopper. When we told them it was a champagne opener, they let us go w/o opening the suitcase. But this happened in San Francisco and Baltimore.

Opening champagne w/o these is impossible for us.

Edited by knittinggirl