My first 'Live From' the Royal, February 26- March 9

RNGALNG

We are back from our excursion and have tried to get most of the sand off our bodies, gear, and shoes. We are sitting on our balcony waiting to see if there will be a pier running part. All aboard is in one minute.

We arrived around 8 this morning and had to wait for the CBC to give clearance for us to open the ship for us to go play.

We didn't see it, but were told there was a passenger taken off this morning by ambulance. I'll keep my ears open.

And play we did! We are calling this our snorkeling cruise. We had a private tour today with Daydreamer & Coconut Cruises. One of the roll call members set it up. We took a taxi to Sugar beach ($10/ person). Then got on the resort bus that took us down to the water. A dingy met us there and they took 4 of us at a time to the catamaran. There six from our ship and one other couple. The weather looked iffy, like rain, but we still all wanted to go. Mike and Andrew were great hosts who kept the drinks flowing as we sailed over to St. John's. We snorkel end for about an hour. When we got back to the boat, we were fed a great lunch. We then took the senic trip back to the beach where we reurned home to the ship. Highly recommend them!

The sun played games all day, sometimes sendin days down and at others hiding behind a rain cloud. All great as we didn't have to shovel it, walk on top of it, or freeze in it!

There must be some late tours coming back as there are still clumps of folks arriving.

Till tonight.

My guess is that you're sailing with the same group we had on our cruise...they are at EVERY trivia game and they win EVERY TIME...

That being said...they are just the nicest group ever! A couple from Great Britain and the rest from NJ, NY and Florida.

Keep having a good time!

Isn't there always a team like that on every ship? If it means that much to them then let them have the prizes! Life is too short to worry about something I don't need anyway!

Thanks for doing your 'live from'.....i enjoy reading everyone's comments, good, bad or indifferent.

Might you be able to inform us who the bands / groups are please. And whether the 'Beatlemaniacs' are boarding any time soon.

We are sailing on the 19th March for a back to back......can't wait.

We have friends or your cruise who were probably at the M&G but they must be enjoying themselves so much that they haven't emailed yet.

Thanks again.....carry on enjoying your cruise.

Pete

TrevorCole

Kory Simon at the piano

Jacob Wise (guitar)

Nadia (piano)

Inspiration String Trio

Rick Kilburn quartet

New Deal

These are the folks we have onboard at the moment. I'll see if there are other things that will pop up later.

We have some 'bing bong people!) two passengers have failed to return to the ship. We will be underway momentarily.

I have stollen the quoted thing above from another CC member who told about them. They are the folks whose names are called out for not returning. You don't ever want to be one!

We also just heard from the captain telling us about the virus as well. We have stayed the same or lower than usual so, they are lowering the code! Yea Team Royal!

We have some 'bing bong people!) two passengers have failed to return to the ship. We will be underway momentarily.

I have stollen the quoted thing above from another CC member who told about them. They are the folks whose names are called out for not returning. You don't ever want to be one!

We also just heard from the captain telling us about the virus as well. We have stayed the same or lower than usual so, they are lowering the code! Yea Team Royal!

I've also experienced a few of those being paged being lead away in handcuffs but it's usually during embarkation...not smart to take a cruise with arrest warrants! :p

Isn't there always a team like that on every ship? If it means that much to them then let them have the prizes! Life is too short to worry about something I don't need anyway!

We enjoy trivia and were on the CB in January. At the start of each Trivia game an announcement was made that the only resource you could use was your brain i.e., no phone, ipad to look up answers. And a staff member monitored the room. We also had many people doing b2b and of course they got all of the answers correct since they had heard them a few days before. All of this for a princess clip or water bottle. As you said, let them have it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darspurs View Post

Re the Internet I took out an unlimited package for one device (just my iPad) I won't worry about the phone and this is 249 dollars for the 10 days - the Internet is fantastic I have seen short videos and used face time and it has been great wherever I am on the ship and I don't have to worry about watching how long I am online. Best I have ever known on a cruise.

This is the first I have read about an unlimited Internet option being available.

And you indicate it was just for one device. Usually a package is not restricted to one device and can be used on multiple devices, but only on one at a time.

Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message

Yes I have never seen or heard of it on a cruise before but for me that suits me down to the ground, my close family and friends I have contacted via Facebook messanger and we are all chatting whenever we like via that medium. I have had to forgo my phone but the iPad will do everything I need except a text on a cruise.

I am from the UK as it happens my daughter is in Vegas this week and my son and family are going to Dubai so I can keep in touch and we can FaceTime eachother, I can of course also get into my office computer and deal with any issues whenever I need to or want to.

To reconfirm for this 10 day cruise on the Royal unlimited internet on ONE device only is $249. On top of this the Internet signal so far has been superb - on my balcony now typing this as we have just left St Thomas on route for Antigua and the cruise is great so far.

Ha, my ringing friend, I found you and shared the link with our other two troublemakers-in-arms. Sounds like you're having a great time! Keep the fun information coming. I might have to try this "live" sometime!!!

Cruising in my mind in Lubbock, Texas, where the snow is still on the ground.;)

That sounds like fun. Similar to games played at bridal showers. No matter how hard you try, your tongue overpowers your mind.

Practice at home with your partner before the cruise. You may become expert at it.

Also, help the time go by with longer answers. Example: Are you cruising by yourself? My aunt Sue from Los Angeles is sailing with me as are my two children, Jeremy who is a senior in high school and Frank who on this cruise as a graduation present.

Ha, my ringing friend, I found you and shared the link with our other two troublemakers-in-arms. Sounds like you're having a great time! Keep the fun information coming. I might have to try this "live" sometime!!!

Cruising in my mind in Lubbock, Texas, where the snow is still on the ground.;)

So glad to have a friend following! This way I won't have to report to my partners in crime when I get home! Thanks for letting me know.

END OF ST. THOMAS DAY

We decided to go down for dinner in the main dining room. We have, always have had, and will always have anytime dining. It fits our bend with the bamboo theme. Tonight, if we had had late traditional, we wouldn't have made it. We had no problem getting in at a little after 6:00 tonight. Everyone was either too tired from their day or had eaten ashore. Or maybe now that the bans have been lifted, people are going up to the buffet?

One thing we have been asked each time we have dined in the main room this trip, is what room we are in. One of our dining companions tonight said it is because some of the traditionals are not going at their expected time and coming down to use our anytime room. If anyone out there knows the reason, feel free to chime in. T sounded plausible to me.

We had an 8 top table this evening. A lively bunch! We had a couple from the Los Angeles area, another from Vancouver, Canada, and another Buckeye! The gentleman from LA had won a ping pong tournament this afternoon and the big prize was a bottle of champagne! They were tickled to share the story and their prize with the rest of the table. He was the only one who showed up for the game until his wife came to watch him. Well, she ended up playing him and he won! They also took home the second and third place prizes!

Conversation flowed, food was great once again, and our bellies are once again full. Hubby had the pork chop dinner and I had the spaghetti carbonara!

We were having a hard time staying awake at dinner, so headed back to our room to get some shut eye. We have another excursion planned so will need our rest.

It doesn't get better than this!

I passed out from all the fun in the sun and didn't post! We are now in Antigua, getting ready for the day to begin!

One thing we have been asked each time we have dined in the main room this trip, is what room we are in. One of our dining companions tonight said it is because some of the traditionals are not going at their expected time and coming down to use our anytime room. If anyone out there knows the reason, feel free to chime in. T sounded plausible to me.

Since it is easy to look at your cruise card to see if you are in Anytime or Traditional, asking for the cabin number seems to have no purpose to me since it takes extra work to enter it into the computer to see what dining option you are signed up for.

We are back on the ship. We have showered and cleaned our equipment and swimsuits.

What did we do? We went to a park (I've only been to land parks) that had rays swimming around and we got in to play with them, feed them, and to 'snorkel.' It was the Princess trip that included snorkeling and swimming with the rays. We took vans to the area that hosted the tour. It took about 30-45 minutes to get to our destination. We were told what we were going to do and then led down to the boats that would take you to the park where the Rays were. We left our shoes in a barrel before entering the boat. Then about a ten minute boat ride to the park from there. Those who needed a mask and snorkel were given them before we got in the boats. No fins were allowed as they might damage the fish. We then climbed out of the boat and then down a ladder into the water. We were to shuffle our feet so as not to step on the Rays. We then got into a line to have our pictures taken while holding one. You could purchase the photos when you got back to shore. ($15 each.) After holding, you were allowed to move around until they were almost done with that. Then they gave us small squid to feed to them. There were about 80-100 people all gathered together and the fish would swim around you, up to and on you, and almost knock you over. We were told we could snorkel around until it was time to re board our boats to go back. We were there about an hour.

When we got back to shore, there were rum punches waiting for us as we all had worked so hard! There were a couple of local ladies selling their trinkets off to the side. We looked at our photo and told them to throw it back. Not a good catch of us both!

Our drivers came and started herding us back into our little busses to go back to the ship. Once we returned, hubby, as all good hubby's should (hint hint men) took my bag and towel so I could help support the local economy. We are spending our children's inheritance but for the grandchildren, we buy magnets of the places we go and then have a short history lesson about where in the world we went. So, I just need to go find what we call, the Trashy trinket treasure shop. Found what I needed in the first store I went into.

This excursion was a fun one to do. If you really want to snorkel, I think I would suggest something else. There weren't any corals or plants or fish for that matter in with the stingrays. Just a heads up.

There is no duty free building you go through when you arrive. You are thrown right out into the life of the locals. And what a pleasant people they were. Very friendly, kind, helpful. No big box stores here. Very nice.

We found sustenance up in the buffet and sat out at Outriggers to enjoy the sea breezes and blue skies. But I fear there is a nap in our future.

Our daughter's in-laws are in Antigua this week. It looks beautiful and warm! We almost have sun in Texas today...61 degrees now but back to the 30s tomorrow.

I have to say I didn't know they cared so much about the dining issue. We almost always do fixed, but sometimes 545 or 6 really pushes us. We await your next report!

After our inspection of leaks in our eyelids and missing sail away, we got up in time to go see Ye Olde Pup Night in the Vista Lounge. I had wanted to experience this as I have read lots of fun things about it. There were a few of us but only about a fourth of the seats were taken. It was at 7:00 so maybe they were at dinner or getting ready. Our tummies were still full so decided to eat later on. The put night was fun I guess I misread some of the comments. I guess I expected more of an ad lib sort of night and not the canned show. It was cute and was good to experience.

When that was over, we went and fetched another pizza at Alfredo's. Oh, so good!

We then went up to MUTTS as the fountain light show was going to start soon. Another thing on my bucket list of things to do. It was quite windy so we climbed up to 17 and stood right under the MUTTS screen to watch. I could see by the reflection that there were also photos being shown during the fountain show but I liked our position as we were up high and the water didn't splash up on us. It is a cute show using about five colors of light, some music, and different holes in the ground having water come up. It lasted about ten minutes. Again, something you would only need to see once. They open the area daily each morning for kids with parental supervision. I'm sure they would love it!

A little dessert was in order after the pizza and walk. We grabbed a couple cookies, a piece of orange cake and sat with a cup of tea to enjoy.

It is now time to get ready for bed as we hit another island tomorrow.

We had another storm today back home.

*I tried to post from my room last night before crashing into my pillow but Internet kicked me off four time in a row and I decided it was a sign from the heavens to check eyelids.

We are on St. Lucia for another hour. We are back from our journey, showered, and now sitting on our balcony. More on this magnificent day later on.

It REALLY doesn't get better than this!

ST. LUCIA

Yet another early call for our tour. This vacationing thing it tough work! We went on a private tour set up by one of our roll call members. Ten of us went right away to a catamaran after we docked. This was Mystic Man tours. Another great day! They sailed us out amid off and on rain showers, about three miles. We spent an hour or more watching a large pod of pilot whales as they followed the flying fish. We also saw some birds as they dove in to catch their breakfasts. We were then taken to a small bay to do some snorkeling. It was the best we have had in our now 5 total outings in our new hobby, not counting the swims in the gym pool to keep up! Brilliantly colored fish, corals, and sea life. And. . . Of course, this was the first time I left the camera in my bag on the ship.

When we returned to the ship, there was a lunch waiting for our empty bellies. Oh, so good! And drinks of many varieties, including the always available on the islands, rum punch!

We returned back at the dock and ship in time to go find our magnet.

After washing the gear and our bodies, we had a snack of some chips and the ships guacamole. We went down for an early dinner as we wanted to make sure we had seats for the game 'Majority Rules.' Alas, the two of us got 4 points total out of 13. Sadly, there was no wall magnet in our hands when it was over.

After that game, we stayed in Princess Live to watch the game Hollywould, you? The first two rounds went slowly and our eyes were telling us it was time for another check for eyelid leaks. We took the elevator up for a small cone from Swirls for our dessert before going directly to our room. We did not pass go, did not collect $200. . .

Our trip tomorrow will take us on a Princess adventure to see turtles and (wait for it) to snorkel! Do you sense a theme yet?

Life doesn't get better than this!

Here is what we saw before we left on the Hollywould You game show.

There are two teams of three. Each team has two passengers and one CD. A third CD runs the 'show.' The first round had the teams listen to music from a movie. First to buzz in got to guess. (The CD folk ad libbed a lot and didn't give their team members a chance to discuss before answering.) Each team was given about three chances to guess before the studio audience was asked to answer.

Round two had one team at a time looking at a photo of a movie star and guessing who it was. The photos of some of the stars were sliced too close so as to disguise them. The photo might have part of an eye, cheek, and chin. Very difficult. (Again the CDs took over and didn't get help from the passengers.)

When that long round was over we got up to leave. We were falling asleep in our seats. Toby told the masses that we're going with us, 'stay. It does gets better, honest.' We saw them bringing out a table with props so I could see the CDs having a great time. Peter and David, who interact so well together were the team leaders.

We watched the rest in our room today. Third round gave each team three attempts to use the props on a table to depict a movie title. They had 30 seconds to get their act together and then an audience member guessed.

The last round was a quick fire round of movie questions. Team with the most points at the end of 4 rounds wins.

That brings me to that. The TV. What a wonderful invention! Love that if you start watching a movie, you can pause it and go back at any time to finish. Love that you can pick what you want to watch and when. You don't have to wait for it to start at some obscure time and be stuck in your room when you might be missing something out and about.

The very wonderful staff in the Internet cafe were great at setting up my iPad so I can see the patter on it as well as icons and quick ways to get the report written and up without using all my minutes.

BARBADOS

Another sunny warm day! Who can complain about weather when you don't have to shovel snow or walk on frozen water?

Our tour didn't leave until later so we took our time having breakfast and then left to find the trinket store for our magnet. After a quick and successful trip, it was back to the ship to get our gear so we could go swim with the turtles, snorkel around a couple shipwrecks and a little more time at a beach. This was through Princess. It was well done and the rum punches flowed when the snorkeling was over. We saw 4 rather large sea turtles and the wrecks lots of sea life.

We returned back to the ship only 30 minutes before sail away. But as one knows, if you are on a ship sponsored trip, they won't leave without you.

We showered and cleaned our gear then headed for some lunch in the buffet.

Another nap was in order after our time in the water. I think I'm going to need a vacation after this vacation to get over this one!

Tonight was our Captains party in the Vista Lounge. What a charming man. No hand shaking was done with any of the crew, just hellos and nods. The most traveled passengers had over 1500 days, second was over 1300 and third had over 1000.

Then it was on to Italian night in the dining room. Among out table mates tonight were Elizabeth and Lori, on their first cruise as passengers. In a previous life style, they were cruise directors on another line. They were on to reconnect with Kory Simon, a good friend of theirs. The young ladies excitedly told us they so enjoyed being on this side of cruising more than the other!

We all then went to listen to Kory who was playing in Crooners. He is fun to listen to and interacts well with the passengers. A good end to our day.

ST. KITTS

Our last stop. We arrived around 9:00. When we woke up, there was mail in our box stating that we need to be sure to wash our hands etc.

Hubby and I had a quick breakfast up in the buffet before running out to find the magnet of the island to take home. It took going to a few stores but it was located. I had taken a few photos of our collection to show on each island and it worked! I just showed the photo to the sales clerks in each store and they told me if they had something like it or not. Saved a lot of time!

Our excursion didn't leave until 12:50. We went back to our room to put our treasure away and grab our gear. We were going on an island tour by sea and (take a guess...) snorkel! Our trip was through Princess.

We got onboard our catamaran with too many others from our cruise. By that, I mean if everyone wanted a seat in the ship and not out in front, there weren't enough to do so. It was crowded. However, we all got along and the day was enjoyable. We sailed around a part of the island to an area that was good for snorkeling. We had a good amount of time in the water before our captain told us we had to get back onboard. We all didn't want to as we know this is the last port before we turn back into pumpkins.

We were showered and up and out to Outriggers for sail away. I wanted to get the horn on tape. The captain came on the speaker to tell us that, 'it's back.' No more salt and pepper or bread on the tables. Sadly folks must have stopped washing after he told us things were looking better. Sorry to tell you this, future travelers.

When the captain was done with the speech that will be repeated every day now, I turned on my phone to tape the horn. Last chance to get it as we will be home next. So, what happens? The CD gets on the microphone to tell of the evening activities. As we were in a public area, it was broadcast loudly thus drowning out the horn. So, a lesson to those who want to try the same, don't be in a public area to listen to the horn!

As soon as sail away was over, as we hadn't had lunch, we zoomed down to have dinner. The ever popular goat cheese soufflé was on tonight. Have I mentioned, it doesn't get better than this? Add some scallops for a main course and I splurged with a Dreamboat dessert AND a scoop of the chocolate peanut butter ice cream.

We decided instead of falling asleep watching a movie under the stars or the Vista lounge (we wanted to see both) we have opted to watch one of the movies on our TV. Now we can fall asleep in the comfort of our room and then replay the parts we missed at another time.