ncl gave us the shaft

bigpete

I know I responded to the thread and added my 2 cents, but sometimes maybe someone just has to VENT and now they feel better and will enjoy their cruise.

Did you try to upgrade? I booked after final payment for inside then I thought again and upgraded to an ocean view and added the beverage plan, rates had dropped so it only cost me a little more to add a great deal of value. Sorry it worked out this way for you. We went on this great vacation years ago and when we got to the resort We found out We paid twice as much as the person next to us! Grrrr... But we shrugged because I am sure there was someone else who Paid more than us! Have a glorious cruise!

That's funny, because if I mention that we have connecting cabins, sometimes people correct me and say it's adjoining cabins. Either way, you knew what I was referring to...or you know to what I was referring, to use proper grammar and not end my sentence with a preposition.

Interesting, since we recently had a poster here raising all holy heck because she asked for, and received, adjoining cabins when she actually wanted connecting cabins.

Words ARE important.

Just because some people don't grasp the concept, doesn't mean you shouldn't. Better to use accepted terminology...it's the best way to avoid confusion and misunderstanding.

Since the OP has vanished, and everyone is just taking the Mickey out of him;

The Gem has azipods, can't get shafted there.

I'm just sayin'.

Sure the Gem has azipods, but she also has a dozen passenger elevators.

Plenty of shaft to go around.

I'm just sayin'. ;)

Interesting, since we recently had a poster here raising all holy heck because she asked for, and received, adjoining cabins when she actually wanted connecting cabins.

Words ARE important.

Yes words are important. I always tell my TA connecting cabins and get them. Others sometimes correct me and say they're called adjoining cabins so I switched what I said.

march 9 going on the gem we booked months ago, fully paid took out insurance, found out this week ncl is giving free booze packages or 300 dollar room credit to any one who books now or on up coming cruises, not happy already talked to travel agent she called ncl they said to late because we are paid up this is my 15th cruise not happy

First you were not shafted. The promotions are for new bookings, and yours was old.

Second it is NOT your TAs job to watch for price changes, promotions, etc. they work for the cruise line, NOT you, in spite of what you and most others assume. You do not pay them one penny. It is all paid to them by the cruise line.

If you are not happy or want free or included items, then sail one of the all inclusive luxury lines and pay over $500 pp/pd.

Clothing goes on sale/clearance at the end of the season. Choosing to pay full price for an article of clothing rather than waiting until it goes on sale is no more getting the shaft than choosing to book early and miss out on last minute sales.

How about, if you really think this promotion is such a great deal, book another cruise with it and just go one two. Problem solved.

~Katy

I kind of have the opposite problem. I can't book till very last minute, due to circumstances here.

It just kills me the deals I see everyone getting here and there as the months go by till when I want to cruise. I feel like I'm letting $$$'s slip away at times with promotions I see that I can't act on since I really need to book last minute.

But, at the same time I can pounce on last minute deals most times.

It's really killing me that I can't take advantage of these latest promotions. I'm almost wondering if I should go ahead a book and get "cancel for any reason insurance" in case we do have to cancel or change cruise dates. I always buy insurance anyway since dh has crohns and could possibly not be able to cruise.

But, I really do feel for folks that book and a super good promo comes along. It's just a gamble either way. You can miss out on good deals either way!!!

That's funny, because if I mention that we have connecting cabins, sometimes people correct me and say it's adjoining cabins. Either way, you knew what I was referring to...or you know to what I was referring, to use proper grammar and not end my sentence with a preposition.

Actually I only assumed that is what you were talking about but it is not what you said. If you ask for adjoining cabins that is what you will get. In most cases they will not be connecting. This is not a manner of grammar. It is a case of asking for what you want to ensure that is what you get.

So go find a cruise line that will let you both lock in months in advance as well as cherry-pick deals 9 days prior to sailing.

Good luck with that.

That would be Carnival if you booked an "Early Saver" fare. You can change to any lower fare until right before sailing.

Haven't read all the responses but going to chime in...

Do you apply this same "gave me the shaft" complaint to the airlines? Do you complain if the airfare drops in price (which it can) after you book?

To solve your issue...simple. Wait until the last minute to book to secure your rock bottom deal. Then complain when you can't get the promo cruise deal that may be long gone, the cabin you want, a reasonably priced flight, or prime hotel locations/prices pre-post cruise.

Actually I only assumed that is what you were talking about but it is not what you said. If you ask for adjoining cabins that is what you will get. In most cases they will not be connecting. This is not a manner of grammar. It is a case of asking for what you want to ensure that is what you get.

In the age of internet -- the wording should be irrelevant because with a few clicks anyone can easily look at a deck plan and KNOW that they have cabins that have a connecting door between them or not.

It is on the buyer to be an educated consumer and confirm they get what they want.

This may be a silly question, but here goes. Is "final payment" the date that the final payment is due? Or is it the date when you actually make your final payment?

The final payment on my cruise is not due until July, but I have am thinking of making the final payment next month, when I have a little extra money to spare. Is there a reason that I should wait until July to make the final payment?

This may be a silly question, but here goes. Is "final payment" the date that the final payment is due? Or is it the date when you actually make your final payment?

The final payment on my cruise is not due until July, but I have am thinking of making the final payment next month, when I have a little extra money to spare. Is there a reason that I should wait until July to make the final payment?

When it is made. In your case, next month if you do it then.

That is why I put it aside and wait until the very last moment, give or take a day to ensure it clears in time.

By doing it this way, I was able to change my reservation to obtain all the newer perks by only paying around $90, saving around $1,000 since final payment was not made.

Edited by FireEater

Yes words are important. I always tell my TA connecting cabins and get them. Others sometimes correct me and say they're called adjoining cabins so I switched what I said.

Yes, but just because they are WRONG doesn't mean you should blindly follow them.

A simple dictionary look up can confirm that the right word is "connecting". No need for you to switch just because someone else doesn't understand.

Here's an idea: The next time one of these people correct you and say it is "adjoining cabins" then simply reply by asking them how that differs from "connecting cabins". Then follow up by asking what the term is that describes two cabins that are next to each other without a connecting door.

In the age of internet -- the wording should be irrelevant because with a few clicks anyone can easily look at a deck plan and KNOW that they have cabins that have a connecting door between them or not.

It is on the buyer to be an educated consumer and confirm they get what they want.

Interesting that you say wording should be irrelevant, but yet you choose to call it a connecting door and not an adjoining door. :rolleyes:

Just sayin'

Not a silly question at all. Final Payment is ALWAYS the final payment DATE. It never refers to the date on which you make the last payment.

You can pay your cruise 100% in full at the time of booking, and you can still cancel up to the final payment date on your invoice without penalty.

Interesting that you say wording should be irrelevant, but yet you choose to call it a connecting door and not an adjoining door. :rolleyes:

Just sayin'

Not a silly question at all. Final Payment is ALWAYS the final payment DATE. It never refers to the date on which you make the last payment.

You can pay your cruise 100% in full at the time of booking, and you can still cancel up to the final payment date on your invoice without penalty.

I know that different hotel chains refer to rooms that have a door connecting them in different ways. Some call them adjoining and some call them connecting. So it always is a good idea to clarify what you want when making the reservation.

Thank you for the answer about final payment. :)

I know that different hotel chains refer to rooms that have a door connecting them in different ways. Some call them adjoining and some call them connecting. So it always is a good idea to clarify what you want when making the reservation.

Thank you for the answer about final payment. :)

No problem.

Interesting though, how both questions are related. In one instance confusion results because "connecting" and "adjoining" aren't properly used. In your instance, the confusion results because "final payment due" and "final payment date" aren't properly used.

Consistent use of proper terminology goes much further to avoid confusion than excuses ever do.

When it is made. In your case, next month if you do it then.

That is why I put it aside and wait until the very last moment, give or take a day to ensure it clears in time.

By doing it this way, I was able to change my reservation to obtain all the newer perks by only paying around $90, saving around $1,000 since final payment was not made.

This isn't correct.

Final payment isn't tied to your payment if you pay it in full next month. Final payment is the one set by the cruise line for that particular cruise.

No problem.

Interesting though, how both questions are related. In one instance confusion results because "connecting" and "adjoining" aren't properly used. In your instance, the confusion results because "final payment due" and "final payment date" aren't properly used.

Consistent use of proper terminology goes much further to avoid confusion than excuses ever do.

Of another term - "Final Payment Made" -but a month before it is the Final Payment Date (as in when cancel will cost you).

This isn't correct.

Final payment isn't tied to your payment if you pay it in full next month. Final payment is the one set by the cruise line for that particular cruise.

Ahhhsoooooo

I stand corrected...:o