conversion fee

We find the ships reception desk charges a very high exchange rate. We use local ATM machine (not on the ship), example if in England we get enough money for other countries Ireland, Wales, etc.that use British Pounds. You get the best bank exchange rate and my bank only charges a $5 fee in the US. We have gotten money before leaving home on a trip and really feel waiting to get to the country and using the ATM is the best rate. When you use an ATM machine in a foreign country you receive the currency of that country, from the machine.

I do not disagree with your view of obtaining foreign currency on board. I was thinking a small amount to cover taxis and other small expenses to cut down on number of credit card transactions. Then using credit card for bigger purchases. OP originally stated credit card and drawing cash on those at ATMs is problematic and attracts higher interest and charges. Ideally getting an amount of foreign exchange at home from bank would probably be better but once again not too much as it's up front.

Regards John

We will be buying some Euros and British Pounds here before we leave and will also use an ATM machine. If we find that we run out and are unable to get an ATM to work (my dreaded fear) and have to get some on the ship do you buy them from the person at the desk or a machine? Do they just charge them to your shipboard account or is it a separate charge to your charge account like Future Cruise Credits. We have a Capital One charge card and will use that when possible but need money for independent tours that want cash.

We will be buying some Euros and British Pounds here before we leave and will also use an ATM machine. If we find that we run out and are unable to get an ATM to work (my dreaded fear) and have to get some on the ship do you buy them from the person at the desk or a machine? Do they just charge them to your shipboard account or is it a separate charge to your charge account like Future Cruise Credits. We have a Capital One charge card and will use that when possible but need money for independent tours that want cash.

I imagine that not all cruise lines are the same, but I have purchased currency from the desk in the past. I paid cash rather than add it to my account.

It's my experience that you will not need large amounts of cash. Big purchases like rail ticket or tours can usually be paid with a CC. You only really need cash for snacks and drinks.

It may be a good to buy some Euros sooner than later. The Euros is trading at it's lowest point in years. The last time that it traded at a lower rate was in 2012. I'm watching so that I may buy some for my spring 2016 med cruise.

You could always sell any excess back to the bank when the Euro rebounds.

Edited by lamchops

Doubt you can avoid a conversion fee. If you are allowed to pay in US dollars, that is probably the way.

Usually when you pay in US dollars you do not get a good exchange. We always get local currency from local ATM, have found this to be the best exchange rate, even though our bank charges a $5 fee. For years we had gotten money ordered from the bank and you have to pay fee for delivery there, and they build in the exchange rate into the conversion rate. Starting about 5 years ago we kept being told on Cruise Critic to use the ATM and receive the local currency. We try to figure out approximately how much we will need for that currency. It is much better that way, for us anyway.

Edited by 2ashevillesailors

Usually when you pay in US dollars you do not get a good exchange. We always get local currency from local ATM, have found this to be the best exchange rate, even though our bank charges a $5 fee. For years we had gotten money ordered from the bank and you have to pay fee for delivery there, and they build in the exchange rate into the conversion rate. Starting about 5 years ago we kept being told on Cruise Critic to use the ATM and receive the local currency. We try to figure out approximately how much we will need for that currency. It is much better that way, for us anyway.

I'm just afraid that for some reason we won't be able to get money from the ATM. I guess I just worry too much.

I'm just afraid that for some reason we won't be able to get money from the ATM. I guess I just worry too much.

Make sure you tell you bank you are travelling & if 1 ATM does not work try another bank or go into the bank & they will usually help you out

In Norway I tried a "hole in the wall " it did not work so went down the street saw a Bank tried thier ATM it worked fine

Last time we were in London, the hotel asked if we wanted the final bill in Canadian dollars or GBP. I have Visa.

Which would be better letting the hotel or Visa doing the exchange?

Probably VISA

We recently got a MC that has no FTF I prepaid our hotel in GBP

Edited by LHT28

Last time we were in London, the hotel asked if we wanted the final bill in Canadian dollars or GBP. I have Visa.

Which would be better letting the hotel or Visa doing the exchange?

Have you read post #19? If not, I recommend you do so. (Substitute the words "Canadian dollars" every time you read the word "dollars.")

i was talking about using a credit card on land.

i have a card with no FTF, but i got confused reading different boards about a merchant doing conversion on site and charging a credit card in US$ versus posting transaction in local currency and bank will do conversion

i posted on the Princess board because i am going on Regal:)

You are referring to a SCAM called dynamic currency conversion. In this scam, a merchant tries to convince you he or she is doing you a favor by writing the charge up in the currency of the credit card. It is a scam for several reasons. The most important reason this is a scam is because they give you a lousy rate of exchange much higher than the exchange rate used by visa or mastercard when they do the conversion. According to visa and mastercard regs, this scam may not be perpetrated on you without your consent but many merchant pull it anyway. And if you pick up the scam which you will see on the credit card charge slip when it lists both the local currency and your currency, they have some lies they try to pull. For example, the amount in your currency is listed as a convenience for you and it is approximate to help you grasp what you are paying. Or they have no control over the terminal which does igt automatically (not so because of the reg noted above; the merchant must press a button on the terminal that you have agreed to be a scamee. They might also try to tell you it saves you the foreign transacgtion fee, which is a lie because if you're dumb enough to use a credit card with a foreign transaction fee, it will be charged anyway. At least in the UK they cannot pull the no speak English lie.

If you find yourself about to be scammed with dcc, tell the clerk you want the transaction voided and done properly in local currency. If they say they can't ask to speak to the manager. You don't want a credit, you want a void. If this gfails, do not under any circumstances offer to pay cash. Rather circle the amount on the charge slip in local currency, write local currency option not offered, cross out the amount in your currency. And tell the merchant you will be disputing the charge when you return home as it violates mastercard or visa regs. And when you get home, do just that.

If you find yourself about to be scammed with dcc, tell the clerk you want the transaction voided and done properly in local currency. If they say they can't ask to speak to the manager. You don't want a credit, you want a void. If this gfails, do not under any circumstances offer to pay cash. Rather circle the amount on the charge slip in local currency, write local currency option not offered, cross out the amount in your currency. And tell the merchant you will be disputing the charge when you return home as it violates mastercard or visa regs. And when you get home, do just that.

thank very much for such a great tip

thank you very much for your advice

i did not even imagine that my onboard expenses can be charged in anything but US$ as i live in USA (in my multiple cruises it had never been an issue, but i traveled from US port to US port)

You are correct, transactions for you would be in US dollars.

Ferndalegirl

Check with your card issuer when you tell them you are going o/s and they will tell you what sign on the various ATMs is compatible with your card. We had to look for Visa plus (I think) in the end it was really easy because the sign was on every ATM we found and there were lots of them.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Ferndalegirl

Check with your card issuer when you tell them you are going o/s and they will tell you what sign on the various ATMs is compatible with your card. We had to look for Visa plus (I think) in the end it was really easy because the sign was on every ATM we found and there were lots of them.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Thank you for telling me this. I'll be sure to check with them.