Celebrity Cruiser Tries Princess

Mary El

Hello everyone. We have sailed Celebrity 29 times. So we are very familiar with Celebrity.

We are sailing on the Island Princess from San Pedro on 12/20, a Panama Canal transit cruise ending up in Fort Lauderdale.

I have many questions. We are booked on the Caribe Deck, cabin 422.

Are there toiletries?

I understand that Princess has times allotted as to when to board. Is this true? I heard that you are put into a holding area if you come early and then you can board at the time allotted to you. Please tell me how this works. As we will be staying overnight in LA and check out time will be about 11AM or noon. What do we do with ourselves until the time we are allowed to board?

Is there a specialty dining room, instead of the cafeteria, where we can have lunch?

What time are the rooms ready?

Please provide me with any other additional information all of you Princess cruisers.

Many thanks

Yes there are toiletries, however many people bring their own shampoo and conditioner since Princess recently switched out to a pump combo dispenser. When you board, you can go directly to cabin. One of the dining rooms will be open for a sit down lunch, crew always direct you to horizon court buffet when asked, ignore them and go to dining room. Once ship is cleared for boarding, after any BVE or wedding groups, Elite, suite go first, then Platinum then general boarding done by time of arrival. Enjoy your cruise!

My experience with Princess recommended boarding times is that , just like Celebrity, they are recommended and not enforced.

When you check in you are put in a waiting area with a group number based upon when you checked in. Check in earlier you have a lower number and board earlier.

The exceptions to that are those with loyalty status. When they state boarding those with Elite status are let on first, then Platinum status, then the first of the numbered groups.

Boarding and disembarkation is slow in San Pedro, the port officials are notoriously difficult.

Don't worry about the assigned boarding time, we get there whenever we get there and have never been held back on Princess or any other line.

The cabins are usually ready when boarding is allowed.

We did your itinerary two years ago but in reverse, loved it.

I understand that Princess has times allotted as to when to board. Is this true?

We usually show up between 11a-12p. No one can board before the rooms are all ready, so you will be able to go directly to your cabin instead of waiting somewhere on the ship like Celebrity makes it's passengers do.

Is there a specialty dining room, instead of the cafeteria, where we can have lunch?

You can eat lunch at the Horizon Court buffet (it's not a "cafeteria", those are in elementary schools) or in the Main Dining Room between 12-1:30p.

I sail on both Princess and Celebrity. Both have their pros and cons. Hope you'll enjoy your cruise. :)

Edited by Go-Bucks!

Did your itinerary March 2014 - fabulous trip and we love Island Princess! Got to the port and got on board with little or no hassle. Going thru the Canal was an awesome day. If you don't know, go up to Aloha, Baja deck, possibly Caribe (I think) and walk to the front of the ship. You will see a door at the end. Go out and you are right in the front of the ship to watch going thru the Canal. We found this out around 4 hrs. into our transit and got some really good pictures. Also, on the back deck (open for all) on 3 or 4 levels, you can be out on the very back of the ship. It's interesting to watch the locks open and close from there also. Enjoy!

Hello everyone. We have sailed Celebrity 29 times. So we are very familiar with Celebrity.

We are sailing on the Island Princess from San Pedro on 12/20, a Panama Canal transit cruise ending up in Fort Lauderdale.

We were in an inside cabin on Caribe, midships, so possibly near where you are -- I would have to check the deck plan to be sure. This was back in 2005/06 for the Hawaiian cruise and that was a 15-day cruise.

Are there toiletries?

As stated above, yes, shampoo, lotion, maybe hair conditioner. Some people like it, some people don't. I believe they changed from the type we had on our last cruise in 2012.

I understand that Princess has times allotted as to when to board. Is this true? I heard that you are put into a holding area if you come early and then you can board at the time allotted to you. Please tell me how this works. As we will be staying overnight in LA and check out time will be about 11AM or noon. What do we do with ourselves until the time we are allowed to board?

It is a suggested time. We always get an email that says not to arrive before 1pm, but we ignore that and either start our drive or schedule our land transportation (it's an hour's drive to the World Cruise Center, as the Port of LA's cruise ship area is called) around 10am at the latest. We've never been told we arrived too early. Once we get checked in (sometimes we haven't even had to wait in a line longer than one party) and go through security, there's a large room to wait in until our boarding number gets called. Once you get on board, a crew member will check your cabin card and tell you which deck and which way to go after you get off the elevator.

No schlepping of your stuff around the ship. You can unpack your carry on, skim the first day Patter, and can even head to the main dining room (it will be listed on the Patter for lunch) if you get onboard early enough. Else, go to the Horizon Court (the buffet -- no "cafeterias" on Princess ships) for lunch. The Island is one of the few Princess ships without the International Cafe.

Not sure if any of the specialty restaurants on the Island will be open during lunch on your cruise, but you can check out the FAQ section on the Princess website. Check out this link (find where it says "dining options and hours" and click to read that PDF): http://www.princess.com/learn/onboard/food_dining/ In fact, lots of good info about your ship on the site.

As soon as you step over the threshold of the ship!

Please provide me with any other additional information all of you Princess cruisers.

Many thanks

Again, check out the Princess web site as it will have a ton of info. For many Princess cruisers, the Island is one of their favorite ships.

You'll love it. We have been going one cruise on Princess and one on Celebrity for the last few years. Try the International Cafe. I think it is a nice place for lunch. There is also the Pub Lunch on sea days. That is nice, too. We think the entertainment/games are a bit better on Princess. Enjoy.

Ohiodoglover

Are there toiletries? Shampoo/conditioner mounted on wall in shower (most do not like it), body soap on wall in shower, tube of lotion, small round bar of soap.

If you arrive at San Pedro after check-out, but before boarding starts, you will sit in the "holding" area. Once boarding starts around 11:30, wheelchairs, weddings, BVEs, Elites, Platinums go first. Then groups are called according to when you got there. The "allotted" time is a suggestion and has nothing to do with when you will actually board.

Is there a specialty dining room, instead of the cafeteria, where we can have lunch? Lunch is available in the buffet (avoid if possible, 2000 pax will be there), a main dining room from 12 to 1:30 (listed in the Patter - don't ask a crew member they will send you to the buffet), Alfredo's (if your ship has one), the International Cafe (in the Piazza), hamburgers/hotdogs/pizza/ice cream on the pool deck.

They don't start boarding UNTIL the rooms are ready.

Many thanks

Answers above. Enjoy

You'll love it. We have been going one cruise on Princess and one on Celebrity for the last few years. Try the International Cafe. I think it is a nice place for lunch. There is also the Pub Lunch on sea days. That is nice, too. We think the entertainment/games are a bit better on Princess. Enjoy.

Ohiodoglover

This will be hard to find on the Island Princess.

Don't spend a lot of (or any) time looking for it.

I find that so very odd. They added IC to Coral which is the sister ship to Island but, even with the massive refit planned for the Island, they aren't adding IC. It seems like they would add that in while making all of the other changes but it doesn't show on the new deck plans.

Sorry, I thought they had added IC to the Island. Stupid.

Ohiodoglover

Whoa! Definitely not stupid. Having added it to Coral it was a logical assumption that it had been added to Island as well. I myself am far from stupid but, on the other hand, the list of things I don't know includes just about everything!

You would think they would add the IC at some point' date=' but I haven't heard any plans to do so. Maybe they figured the Patisserie would suffice. But from the looks of the deck plans, that would be the place for the IC.[/quote']

On Coral they left the Patisserie in place on deck 5 and added the IC on deck 6. I'm surprised they left the Patisserie in place when adding IC.