Didn't do very well in the Cruise Critic Awards

Maybe because they delivery a very good product?

And royal didn't. Royals product has slipped (at least in the opinion of the cc crowd) and they're the ones who vote.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

When a business enters a race to the bottom it usually loses its way. Improving the cruise experience comes with a financial cost. The demographic that Royal Caribbean has been chasing wants a Ruth's Chris experience at McDonald's price. You don't have to look far to find Cruise critic threads about how to smuggle alcohol, how to avoid paying gratuities, how lousy to dress for dinner and how cheeply one can book a cabin. When RCI provides an experience that the cheep cruisers can afford we howl that cruising has lost its luster. When RCI raises prices ($39.00 @Chops) you would think that the world is coming to an end. In my experience the higher income/expenditure customers are much more likely to appreciate good service than the Wal-Mart crowd. Celebrity has done a much better job appealing to the highline cruisers.

When a business enters a race to the bottom it usually loses its way. Improving the cruise experience comes with a financial cost. The demographic that Royal Caribbean has been chasing wants a Ruth's Chris experience at McDonald's price. You don't have to look far to find Cruise critic threads about how to smuggle alcohol, how to avoid paying gratuities, how lousy to dress for dinner and how cheeply one can book a cabin. When RCI provides an experience that the cheep cruisers can afford we howl that cruising has lost its luster. When RCI raises prices ($39.00 @Chops) you would think that the world is coming to an end. In my experience the higher income/expenditure customers are much more likely to appreciate good service than the Wal-Mart crowd. Celebrity has done a much better job appealing to the highline cruisers.

I'm a highline cruiser and prefer Celebrity to Royal. I also shop at Walmart. That's how I get to be a highline cruiser.:D

BTW $39 for Chops is a ripoff. Ruth Chris is way better but not worth the prices they charge too. I'd rather pay $75 for a steak somewhere worth it.:)

I agree with you Fat (well not fat anymore) Paul 100%. Just returned from a RCL cruise and found a lot of seasoned cruisers that spent NOTHING on board. The CL was full of D+ and sucked the drinks like Prohibition was to start next week. For all those "loyalists" they should expand their cruise line experiences and THEN compare their "fave" to others. We traveled a lot on Disney and as far as service RCL could not hold a candle to DCL on training and passenger interaction. Plus the food is of a higher quality especially compared to my last RCL cruise. BUT RCL still has that "sucker's bet" in their rewards program that will always guarantee a zombie response on future bookings......Wake up RCL.;)

Amen brother.

IMO, Royal is not focusing enough on customer service. They are building ships too fast, and do not have enough employees to handle the ships already in service. Quantum is a good example of a ship not ready to sail. I was on the Quantum TA so I do know what I'm talking about. Is the Anthem going to be a replay of the Quantum?

It used to be, you could pay for a cruise and not worry about up charges. You could get a really good meal in the MDR, without paying extra.

RCCL =

RCI didn't do well, but Celebrity did.

Still ok for RCCL.

It's the same corporation, afterall.

But if RCI sucks, the whole corporation will begin to suck! Bad for the shareholders of RCCL.

When I sail Celebrity I won't notice how bad RCI sucks until the Corp. starts circling the toilet and has to cut back everywhere to save RCI. :(

RCI + Celebrity + Azamara + Pullmatur (+ some others) may be on the same ship but RCI is the Captain and he's sailing it into the rocks!!

Edited by DirtyDawg

But if RCI sucks, the whole corporation will begin to suck! Bad for the shareholders of RCCL.

When I sail Celebrity I won't notice how bad RCI sucks until the Corp. starts circling the toilet and has to cut back everywhere to save RCI. :(

RCI + Celebrity + Azamara + Pullmatur (+ some others) may be on the same ship but RCI is the Captain and he's sailing it into the rocks!!

Here are the results- http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/cruiserschoice_index.cfm?Category=Overall&sort=large

With the default being the best large ships, showing top 10. Of that, Celebrity is 4, 5, and 6; RCI is 7 &9.

With two ships in the top 10, how is that sucking? For that matter, RCCL got 50% of the top 10- win for them.

The Radience got best ship for Alaska. Again, how is that sucking?

Maybe I'm reading different results, but with all of the Celebrity ships doing well, and some of the RCI ships doing well, I get the impression that things are not that bad.

Um can you qualify your comment a little? You have one cruise listed under your signature but I'm guessing you've cruised more than that. I'm asking because from what I've read and heard, Royal is one of the more expensive lines than say, Carnival. I'm not a cruise expert by any means, but I don't think the problem is people being cheap, as much as it is Royal raising fares but not raising class, standards and product. As someone said, if Royal wants to charge almost luxury prices they should offer luxury products. I don't feel my cruise was that expensive (in my older years I have a steadier, healthier income), but I was unhappy with the amount of nickle and dime-ing went on. Even trying to be conscientious, I left with a bill almost as high as the price for one of our fares. And then I'm still waiting for the credit holds to fall off my card. It's like they got paid twice... they held every transaction but then when I disembarked they charged the total, I was like YIKES. So I can see how some who are on a budget would find this difficult.

All my cruises have been on Celebrity and loved the food and the service. I have also stayed in a suite and the perks are so much better butler, free specialty restaurants etc. Will be going on our first Royal Caribbean Cruise on Allure in May in a Crown Loft Suite which cost more than Celebrity so it will be interesting to see the difference but I am sure we will enjoy ourselves whatever the differences:)

Um can you qualify your comment a little? You have one cruise listed under your signature but I'm guessing you've cruised more than that. I'm asking because from what I've read and heardWithinyal is one of the more expensive lines than say, Carnival. I'm not a cruise expert by any means, but I don't think the problem is people being cheap, as much as it is Royal raising fares but not raising class, standards and product. As someone said, if Royal wants to charge almost luxury prices they should offer luxury products. I don't feel my cruise was that expensive (in my older years I have a steadier, healthier income), but I was unhappy with the amount of nickle and dime-ing went on. Even trying to be conscientious, I left with a bill almost as high as the price for one of our fares. And then I'm still waiting for the credit holds to fall off my card. It's like they got paid twice... they held every transaction but then when I disembarked they charged the total, I was like YIKES. So I can see how some who are on a budget would find this difficult.

I can't for the life of me figure out how to add cruises to my profile. My first cruise was on the Mariner in 2008 and I became quickly hooked on cruising. I have only sailed with RCI, always in at least a Jr. Suite. Within five years I reached Diamond level, almost D+ now. At this point we are only interested in Grand or Owner's suites. We ALWAYS have a great time and enjoy the level of service that we receive. I have only had what I would call bad service once (one night) in the MDR. We tend to spend a fair amount of money on cruising and enjoy it greatly. I think that our expectations are realistic and are usually exceeded. Before retirement I worked in customer service. I usually found that the more wealthy of my clientele were actually easier to please. I have found the same to be generally true with cruisers.

It didn't look like RCCL did so bad to me. They had 2 RCI ships and 3 Celebrity ships in the top for large ships and Rhapsody in mid and Azamara has 2 ships in the small ship category. Seems like pretty good representation across the board.

Tom

I am diamond+ on Royal but have not sailed on them for several years since a cruise on Brilliance that was ruined by smoking in every bar

on the ship.

I know now that the policy has changed and I look at Royal cruises but for the same price or less I think the service is better on Celebrity at least in the things that matter to me, I like the fact that towels are readily available on the pool deck without having to hand over my room card, the last time I did this they gave me back completely the wrong card!,,

I like the fact that on Solstice class ships at least there seat pads on ever subbed not just the ones around the pool.

That said now that Celebrity is moving into a much more class system ship I am not sure that I will continue sailing with them for every cruise. I am happy for people who pay far more than I do to get the perks that they have paid for, but if they start closing off whole areas of the ship for the exclusive use of passengers who invariably don't even use them then I may have to rethink.

I am sailing on Allure in May so I will then have a more up to date view of the Royal offerings.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Our last 3 cruises were on Celebrity and we loved them, will be back to RCCL in May. It seems the same complaints are listed on both forums-not the same quality in food, service, cutbacks, price increases etc. Some here are listing Chops increase when on Celebrity Murano is $45, Lawn Club Grille is $40, Tuscon Grille is $35. Its the same all over. Just pick a cruise for the ports and work with your budget on the other things. Get the 2-1 or reduced dining for the first nite and maybe your cruise had a free for 2 dining in a specialy spot. Celebrity was a great deal for a few years with all the free spiffs-drink package etc but it seems now they have raised there price so much that your paying for the "Freebies". These are the only two lines we cruise on and always enjoy our vacation.

And royal didn't. Royals product has slipped (at least in the opinion of the cc crowd) and they're the ones who vote.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

For us it has slipped. Our Dec. (Explorer) and our Jan. cruise (Enchantment) just turned us off that we are not sailing Royal until we hear that things are better. I did write RCCL and told them what was wrong. They called and offered us OBC. Which I told them "no thank you" and that I was moving on to another line that I like. The OBC does not fix what is wrong. But it was nice of them.

It didn't look like RCCL did so bad to me. They had 2 RCI ships and 3 Celebrity ships in the top for large ships and Rhapsody in mid and Azamara has 2 ships in the small ship category. Seems like pretty good representation across the board.

Tom

When you look at the data in context of which lines Royal positions themselves against competitively (Disney and Carnival,) their numbers are really quite pathetic. They don't beat Disney in any category, and tie or are behind Carnival in most.

Not exactly a stellar showing. Being average is not exactly a winning strategy.

Edited by orville99

I usually found that the more wealthy of my clientele were actually easier to please. I have found the same to be generally true with cruisers.

I too spent a big chunk of my working life in the service industries and ain't that the truth. Maybe a little harsher if you really make a mess of things, but don't generally have unrealistic expectations in my opinion.

I'm a highline cruiser and prefer Celebrity to Royal. I also shop at Walmart. That's how I get to be a highline cruiser.:D

BTW $39 for Chops is a ripoff. Ruth Chris is way better but not worth the prices they charge too. I'd rather pay $75 for a steak somewhere worth it.:)

Dirty Dawg- I like the way you think!;)

In response to the OP as to why RCL didn't do so hot in the awards. Along with what a majority have said here, there's a lot of good points; I also feel that one factor could be the fact that they have raised prices and created prices on items that didn't necessarily have them before. Raising prices is self explanatory as the chops example previously mentioned. Creating prices intended that for Labadee for example, $100 to ride down a wire seems a bit high, $20 some buck to ride a water slide once, or $30 some bucks for all day, really?! It's a business and they need to make money, but charging for things like the water slide at that rate, or same for the aquatic park toys...it seems way too much! Then as I skim through the threads it seems RCL is charging for things they once before didn't. I don't remember each and every item, but just passing through reading that and thinking.....WOW! If you're going to charge guests for all these things at a "not so cheap" rate, after their cruise far isn't so competitive on the affordability side, it may create some unhappy customers. They will go to another line that has more to offer in terms of bang for their buck.

Just my opinion on things