What Happened to Prices Today?

I went this morning, like I do every morning, to check out the prices for our April 2016 cruise on Allure. Our stateroom is sold out (promenade for 4, so not many of them), but I still keep track of all prices. We booked in December and I've only really seen one price increase, which wasn't substantial. But today....Boardwalk balcony going for $4721 (which is $5257 after taxes). Ocean view balcony after taxkes is $5902???? And just for really crazy prices....Junior Suite for $8492 with taxes! Even the smallest Interior room is $4342 after taxes.

I'm amazed at the huge increase. I think the current "deal" ends tomorrow so maybe they are setting up for tomorrow's prices? Anyone else find a huge jump today on their cruise?

It's Royal vs DCL prices that made us select Royal (since Allure offers tons to kids as well)...but I hate to say that the prices are creeping up to be similar.

Edited by LuCruise

Since there are four in your cabin, might we reasonably assume you are checking prices for quad cabins? And this is April next year, so possibly some schools's spring break? If so, I'd wonder if quad cabins are booking up for your cruise, causing prices on few remaining quad cabins to rise. Just a guess.

Since there are four in your cabin, might we reasonably assume you are checking prices for quad cabins? And this is April next year, so possibly some schools's spring break? If so, I'd wonder if quad cabins are booking up for your cruise, causing prices on few remaining quad cabins to rise. Just a guess.

Yes, correct...April of 2016 and we are 2 adults, 2 kids. It's past Easter and Canadian March break, but I've heard that the US has spring break so this is possible. But the price jumps are overnight so I was surprised. Since we booked in December, the cabins have increased from $729 to $1444 depending on the cabin type. Just glad we booked when we did (and I would have loved to have seen the prices back in May when they were apparently just released and at their lowest)

Edited by LuCruise

Actually I noticed the prices for our Northern Europe cruise this July has dropped a few hundred dollars. Still not as low as I got it last year on the 1st or 2nd day of the first BOGOHO sale, but better than they have been.

I suspect the Bayley will be raising prices to seek a level that people will pay. Royal has a goal of not discounting so they will be playing with pricing schemes to get to max level without discounting as much. They also have had a lot of good interest and early bookings so that will drive some prices up due to supply and demand, especially if there is high demand way out.

We were on a sailing about 3 years ago that the prices went up over 50% from what we booked the cabin category at and were feeling pretty good about our decision to book early till prices dropped below our booking fare after final payment was due.

We now don't have a big issue with where our cabin is (won't say we would take any cabin), but with this view, we can and now do wait till after final payment to book most of our trips. If prices are not great for us, we just look to future sailings. So far it has worked pretty good.

Having said the above, I love to book early and get on our roll call, so for me personally it is hard to wait, but I try to make it a game and we take our savings to spend extra onboard from what the original price point was. Works most of the time.

Edited by shipshape sam

Yes, correct...April of 2016 and we are 2 adults, 2 kids. It's past Easter and Canadian March break, but I've heard that the US has spring break so this is possible. But the price jumps are overnight so I was surprised. Since we booked in December, the cabins have increased from $729 to $1444 depending on the cabin type. Just glad we booked when we did (and I would have loved to have seen the prices back in May when they were apparently just released and at their lowest)

Easter is March 27th 2016 By April 3 most spring breaks will be done.

I am looking for Spring 2016 too. Where is the cabin on the promanade for 4 people? It will not even give me that option- only two cabins connecting

I am looking for Spring 2016 too. Where is the cabin on the promanade for 4 people? It will not even give me that option- only two cabins connecting

If you're looking at Allure for April 2016, they are sold out for 4 people. If you select just 2 adults, you'll see Promenade cabins show up. They are on deck 7 if you want to see their location. They are grouped with in the Interior section. (Or if you're looking for a different month, then same thing if you are not seeing any Promenade rooms).

Another interesting change with the pricing...when we booked our cruise in Dec 2014,

G1 = $1442

G2 = $782

G3 and G4 = $702

When I look at Interior pricing (one stateroom below...as I can't see PR rooms for 4)

G1 = $1513

G2 = $823

G3 and G4 = $1003

So G3 and G4 are now above G2...whereas, they were below when we booked (plus we got an OBC which is now gone).

Edited by LuCruise

The price for a 6 day 1/2016 on Navigator from FLL has held steady since January. Same price today. There are not any non-Oasis class 7 day sailings from FLL next winter. Only 6 and 8 days on Navigator, or 4-5 on Indy. We ideally wanted a 7 day on a non-Oasis ship, but that's not available from FLL. The price for a 7 day Freedom from Canaveral was the same or more than the Oasis sailings (even more once you factor in cost of transfer from MCO to port).

My totally uneducated assumption is it seems like the Navigator sailings just aren't that popular from FLL next winter. We went ahead and booked to take advantage of the drink package coupon and will keep any eye out and rebook if something better comes along.

Just checked ours this morning for Oasis November. Fare increased by $100/pp. FF/EMT discount increased by $50/pp. OBC remained the same. So altogether a net increase of $100 for the overall cruise price.

In looking back at our previous cruise the same week in Nov 2013, the net price for the cruise was very much in line with what we paid this year.

Just checked ours this morning for Oasis November. Fare increased by $100/pp. FF/EMT discount increased by $50/pp. OBC remained the same. So altogether a net increase of $100 for the overall cruise price.

In looking back at our previous cruise the same week in Nov 2013, the net price for the cruise was very much in line with what we paid this year.

Interesting. For the fun of it, I checked Allure for November (just to compare exact same ship and itinerary). And the price is pretty much what I paid for our cruise when we booked in Dec.

SO makes you wonder...what makes them increase the price that much overnight for a specific cruise??? i.e. if our April 2016 cruise is peak time, then this wouldn't have changed overnight. There must be some 'behind the scenes' reasoning.

Let's see, a person books a cruise months/year ago at a price they think was great and months later they reprice the same cruise find out the price is much higher so they complain on a message board about a cruise price that they are not even going to book because they already have it booked:rolleyes:

Let's see, a person books a cruise months/year ago at a price they think was great and months later they reprice the same cruise find out the price is much higher so they complain on a message board about a cruise price that they are not even going to book because they already have it booked:rolleyes:

Ummm...who said I was complaining?

I check daily to watch for price drops. But when I see the big jump overnight, I'm just questioning it. I suppose selfishly, it's the opposite of complaining since it makes me feel better for booking when I did.

I did, but I used the wrong word, sorry. I should have said whining

Hears another that fits right in

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2179572

Well you've misinterpreted. I have nothing to do with that other thread.

I've already booked and as mentioned, I check prices daily to look for price drops. Just trying to understand how pricing works...there is no whining or complaining or whatever else you want to call it.

I guess all of their recent advertising is paying off. Supply and demand...

Yes, that makes sense. Perhaps April is a key cruising month (vs fall) because of the weather and not yet in hurricane season so they are trying for a higher price. Thanks.

Is anyone able (allowed) to tell me the Fish name site I pay for to track prices.

I have three cruises booked and think this will be a good tool for me.

Do you think the site I am asking for is worthwhile?

Thank you all very much.

There will still be many on spring break the week after that. The Atlanta area has spring break that first full week in April. Looking at cruise fare and airfare for that week this year and cruise fare next year indicates cruise lines are seeing increased demand for it.

I wish our spring break was outside the spring break pricing window so we'd get better pricing!

Is anyone able (allowed) to tell me the Fish name site I pay for to track prices.

I have three cruises booked and think this will be a good tool for me.

Do you think the site I am asking for is worthwhile?

Thank you all very much.

I love to CRUISE. Take it from there.

For the record, I'm tracking two cruises and neither has changed in the past couple of weeks. But it could be because the rates are a whopping 60% higher than they were when we booked them.

As colleges tend to break early, most spring breaks will be over by then, but some will go in April. so there may still be enough extra demand for quad cabins to drive up prices.

Good job booking early, OP.

I went to do a mock booking for our Easter family cruise in 2016 and all of the neighborhood balconies are gone. Will try again tomorrow when the new promo sale begins.

I don't think you can believe the prices on the web site. If you find a posted price, then click through to start a reservation, it's almost always different (usually higher, but sometimes lower) than the price shown on the search screen.

It's very frustrating.