What is a MUST do in Cozumel?

thehams

We are doing a RCI cruise later this summer (Cozumel, Belize and Roatan) we are so confused as what to do at each location. So many things to choose from.

What is an absolute must to do/see on Cozumel? It will just be my fiance and I. We like it all, adventure, relaxing etc

If someone even wants to list MUST DO's at each port that would be even better :)

Coz is an island, so most of the activities revolve around the water (snorkel, scuba, fishing, boating, etc.) or the beaches. There are ruins on Coz that IMHO are not worth the time to see (wait until you can get to Tulumn or Coba on the mainland).

Do you want to snorkel? :confused:

Scuba? :confused:

Paddle board? :confused:

Swim with the dolphins? :confused:

AI Beach club? :confused:

Read the boards and let us know what you want to do

There are numerous great great activities to do in Cozumel. When we went there the first time, we went snorkeling at Chankanaab National Park. After snorkeling there, I enjoyed it so much, I came back home and got certified diving to enjoy the water even more. The park has expanded tremendously since '94 and has quite a bit of other activities there as well.

On another cruise, we took my mother who grew up in Peru. So we took her to see the Mayan ruins in Tulumn. It is a full day, but enjoyable if you like Mayan ruins.

On a third cruise, we did a private Mexican cooking class with Josefina. We went to the market, bought the food together, and then went back to a nearby house where we cooked and enjoyed a wonderful meal.

These three things rank very high in my opinion of most enjoyable activities, but it also depends on your interests. Good luck with your choices.

okay... IMO

Belize... you must do a Mayan Ruins tour.

Roatan.... go snorkeling, reefs are right at the shore. Lots of fishlife.

Cozumel... so many things available, and we go there often so we have done a lot of them... but here is what we did just last week. It was a blast!

[YOUTUBE]

[/YOUTUBE]

When we went for the first time and we weren't sure if we were going to be back, I wanted to do the Royal Dolphin Discovery (swim with the dolphins). It was a fantastic seemingly once in a lifetime experience and so worth it. I recommend that if you do this, call Dolphin Discovery (the have a US toll free number) and book directly with them. When we did it, the on-ship excursion was sold out and I had to call them directly. We arrived around the same time as the ship-board excursion, but we had a longer swim with the dolphins and got to do more (we got towed by the dolphin and the pushed up for a dive by the dolphin).

We caught a cab out to Chakanaab Park (where Dolphin Discovery is located) and got lunch and still had time for a snorkel swim in Chakanaab before heading back to the ship. 2-for-1 bonus!

Cozumel is really known for their beautiful water and snorkeling/scuba diving. We're not certified but go to a place not far from the ship called Papa Hogs and they have a great intro-to-scuba (Discover Scuba) for a very reasonable price (wayyy cheaper than the cruise line). They give some basic instructions 20-30 minutes, suit you up and take you out until your air tanks are empty. Really nice owners and in fact we're going there again this June. It's absolutely beautiful and words can't describe the fish and colors of everything down under the water. There's a place closer to the ship but won't let you go if you're from the ship because they have an agreement with them.

Here's the link if interested

http://www.papahogs.com/site/index2.php

Edited by sailor05

Cozumel Bar Hop is fun to see the "prettier/wilder" side of the island. We also loved the personal mini-subs (underwater scooters) and dune buggies.

I would also recommend walking around the town square in San Miguel and going to the shops, bars and restaurants that are in the area. Super fun!

This may not be what you were expecting, but if you plan on any shopping right in the port area, a Must do is take small bills. i've become a little dismay'd with the merchants there in recent years. While honest, they don't hurry with change. In fact they will keep you waiting 20-30 minutes for change to get you to spend more. If you buy something that is $9 and give them a $20, that person will disappear for awhile.

Cozumel: Rent a car and drive yourself. Don't forget a map and to give yourself plenty of time to get back.

Mr. Sancho's was very relaxing. Get a cab. Not sure if they're all there.

Belize: You HAVE to see Xuantunich ruins! Is the coolest thing I've ever done! You get to all the main structure. We liked it so much that we have booked the same exact cruise again just for this excursion! Its a 2 hour ride so make sure you get it through the cruise line. Although the ride is long its part of the experience. You get to see the whole country from the ocean to the mountains while riding in a air conditioned bus while listening to a guide. Its beautiful! Bring lots of memory space for your camera!

Cozumel Bar Hop is fun to see the "prettier/wilder" side of the island. We also loved the personal mini-subs (underwater scooters) and dune buggies.

I would also recommend walking around the town square in San Miguel and going to the shops, bars and restaurants that are in the area. Super fun!

Please tell me more about the Cozumel Bar Hop. Do they pick you up right at the Carnival Pier?

Please tell me more about the Cozumel Bar Hop. Do they pick you up right at the Carnival Pier?

You can google Cozumel bar hop for their website which gives further details about price and the bars you visit.

The meeting place is in town, which will require a taxi from Carnival pier, but you will be dropped off at individual piers on return.

Also lots of reviews on here if you use the search engine for the Cozumel board.

Edited by c-leg5