IZUMI..To go?

Any idea if it is possible to order a few rolls ( sushi) 'to go' from Izumi? Daughter loves sushi- I dont want to necessarily eat a full meal there, and since it is Ala Cart I wondered if it is possible just to order a few to eat in our cabin etc? Or are there 'slow' times when it would be possible just to order a light meal/snack there?

Yes. Izumi keeps somewhat weird hours, so it may not be open when you want a light snack. We have "bellied" up to the sushi bar at Izumi and just ordered a few rolls when we weren't all that hungry..

Edited by orville99

Izumi is starting to vary a little by ship, but they should all do 'to go' orders.

Opening hours can vary by ship and sailing as well, but talk to the Izumi host/hostess the first day and they will tell you how to arrange for to go orders and their timing on that ship for that sailing.

Grandeur actually urges you to buy a box of sushi, just like the supermarket packaging.

:)

Now that you mention that, I think it was Legend on last September's TA or Vision in Panama that had boxes for sale from Izumi at the Park Café.

I really enjoyed the sushi class on Vision for $25 that included the full lunch as well.

I would rather not eat any sushi at a hotel or from a cruise ship.

The only "proper" sushi is from a Japanese hand, but I am sure 99% of cruise ship sushi are from non-Japanese hands.

There are other food to enjoy.

No cover any longer and the cover never applied to 'to go' orders.

I think RCI have tried to keep Izumi and even their Jade Sushi on the ships that have that quite authentic.

The sushi chefs on the Quantum in November were certainly 'Japanese'. The presentation on Quantum was nothing less than amazing.

The sushi prep chef on Oasis TA in October was most definitely 'Japanese'. This was prior to their re-opening the new Izumi on deck 4 and they were 'forced' to work in the windjammer.

The Legend venue was maybe mixed in September so I can not comment.

The Liberty Jade sushi prep chef last May was certainly Japanese.

All 3 of my instructors and chefs on Vision were most certainly Japanese and I was onboard Vision 5 times. The manager was Serbian though if that makes any difference.

So, you might realize I have a little experience with Izumi and while I understand your assumption, I can guarantee you that the assumption is incorrect.

I can even say that I had 3 great NCL experiences in the past 2 years that also had Japanese sushi chefs onboard.

But, as you said, if the sushi is not up to your standards, there are many other choices.

I would rather not eat any sushi at a hotel or from a cruise ship.

The only "proper" sushi is from a Japanese hand, but I am sure 99% of cruise ship sushi are from non-Japanese hands.

There are other food to enjoy.

Then don't.

I would venture to guess that almost no one else reading this shares your sentiments.

"I won't eat spaghetti unless an Italian prepares it."

"I won't eat tacos unless a Mexican prepares them."

"I won't eat _____________ unless a ____________ prepares it."

REALLY?

:eek:

Just saying ... :p

China was one of the world's first civilizations to eat boiled strands of noodles. There was cultural sharing between Asia and southern Europe, and some historians believe that traders who traveled between the Mediterranean and China may have brought knowledge of the tubular strands to the region. It is likely that Arabs brought the practice of boiling pasta, such as spaghetti noodles, to Italy when they invaded the region in the 9th century.

Gee.... and back to the OP's question. Can he order a few rolls to go? :D

Edited by Sam.Seattle

I have never boarded a cruise ship before.... But I did search for Izumi's sushi from Google and it is definitely American Sushi alright.

I see. Thanks for your honesty. There is a reason I asked and your reply was actually what I expected to read. Just so you know, many - maybe even most - of my cruises have had excellent sushi and sashimi available in the Windjammer buffet, freshly-made right there by a chef.

Edited by Langley Cruisers

I have never boarded a cruise ship before.

But I did search for Izumi's sushi from Google and it is definitely American Sushi alright.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ycRCPyrSr3Q" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

http://www.csudhnews.com/2010/04/travis-kamiyama-sushi-chef-and-entrepreneur-oversees-restaurant-on-worlds-largest-cruise-ship/

I would like to share my tip on how to have some authentic Japanese sushi.

1. Follow Japanese people. It's really that simple. If at least 50% of customers aren't Japanese, then that sushi joint isn't authentic enough. This is rather easy to do in places like LA and New York, but is hard elsewhere.

2. If the main menus are rolls, then walk back to the door and pretend you never found the place. Rolls are considered a heresy in Japan.

3. Order Tamagoyaki(Egg) nigiri and check the texture of egg. For some strange reason, non-Japan trained chefs struggle with Tamagoyaki which is surprisingly hard to do.

4. You must not be able to find Avocado or Salmon sushi on the menu. These two are American inventions unseen in authentic Japanese joints.

4. You must not be able to find Avocado or Salmon sushi on the menu. These two are American inventions unseen in authentic Japanese joints.

That may only be because those items were not regularly found in Japan, however the Japanese are very good at adapting to new flavours and techniques. Mayonaise wasn't seen in Japan before 1925, now it is very popular.

Certainly Japanese sushi chefs in Australia will take advantage of any top quality fresh fish to make sushi and sashimi from, it's irrelevant as to whether it is "authentic" as in found in Japan. Japanese cuisine is not just about the styles of presentation of food, but about using the freshest possible ingredients.

So its not included but you pay a la carte?

Is there a price menu avaialble?

Here is a menu from Oasis, with the Teppan items:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=45836042&postcount=12

Here is a menu from Gradeur, without the Teppan items:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=43302272

I had not thought about sushi being available in the Windjammer. I am going to be on the VIsion ( leaving in 3 days!!) - anyone know if Sushi is available there? THat would be even better!

The ships with sushi available in the WJ usually have a 'Jade sushi'. This was on all Voyager and Freedom class ships. If they add an Izumi, they usually cease with the Jade Sushi concept.

Vision has an excellent Izumi. While always subject to change, they were doing sushi demonstrations in the centrum on the first sea day. They would then have a sushi class in Izumi around 10:30 am or 11 on the other sea day. This class cost $25 and included a full sushi lunch with your items prepared along with the examples from the 3 Japanese or other chefs distributed among the guests. They therefore were not open for lunch on Vision as they are on many other ships.

Then don't.

I would venture to guess that almost no one else reading this shares your sentiments.

"I won't eat spaghetti unless an Italian prepares it."

"I won't eat tacos unless a Mexican prepares them."

"I won't eat _____________ unless a ____________ prepares it."

REALLY?

:eek:

Love it!

The ships with sushi available in the WJ usually have a 'Jade sushi'. This was on all Voyager and Freedom class ships...

No, I was not talking specifically of Jade. The other ships have had it just in the middle of the Windjammer at a little station. Sometimes the chef is right there, preparing it fresh.

I have never boarded a cruise ship before.

But I did search for Izumi's sushi from Google and it is definitely American Sushi alright.

So just to sum it all up: You've never been on a cruise ship; you've never dined at an Izumi - either on land or at sea; your perception of what constitutes proper sushi comes from following Japanese people around in New York or LA, and you get all your facts from Google. The only question left to answer to completely validate your sushi expertise is whether you've ever been to Japan.

Did I miss anything:confused:

No, I was not talking specifically of Jade. The other ships have had it just in the middle of the Windjammer at a little station. Sometimes the chef is right there, preparing it fresh.

On Monarch, the upscale sushi/hot rock restaurant was named Jade and was upstairs from the WJ.