another Explorer specialty restaurant announced...

Portolan

From the email:

"Just Announced: Seven Seas Explorer® will feature a tantalizing new gourmet French specialty restaurant called Chartreuse. Chartreuse joins Regent Seven Seas Cruises’ signature steakhouse, Prime 7, as the second of our distinct collection of specialty restaurants. Deriving its name from sultry glass panels that adorn the dining room walls, Chartreuse evokes memories of a chic Parisian fine dining restaurant. Its ambiance is complemented by a menu that features dishes expertly prepared using both classic and modern techniques for a multiple course celebration of French gastronomy."

Personally, I waiting for something NEW to be announced since this appears to just be a reflagging of Signatures.

I am hoping it will be an updated more modern take on Signatures. I do love French food, and I love many of the dishes in Signatures. But some were getting a little dated. They do need to keep the mushroom soup though!

Just received the e.mail - looks & sounds very impressive tbh.

Hope the 3rd option will be Asian of some description - preferably a variety of Cuisineswuth an oriental/Asian bias.

Delighted to be booked on Explorer for Sept 16. I did notice that the reservation dates for excursions and dining were incorrect on my account tho'. Rang Regent and they confirmed the dates were right on their central system but not on the "my account" part that I can view. We are listed as 180 & 70 instead of 240 & 90, so I am hoping that they rectify that asap.

Interesting! I printed out the deck plans for the Explorer the other day and saw this new dining venue. It is on deck 10 aft (across from Prime 7). I, too, would like to see an Asian inspired restaurant but not too "fusion". IMO, Latitudes (for those of you who remember it) was not identifiable as Chinese, Japanese, Thai, etc. While we loved it, many customers did not (which is why it isn't there any more).

Oceania has their "famous" Red Ginger restaurant. Again, we love most items on the menu - it claims to be Southeast Asian (Cambodia, Vietnam, etc.) but has sushi on the menu as well. It also suffers from identity issues. I would love to see an Asian restaurant that does one (maybe two) specific Asian cuisines that the chefs are able to do really well. Anyway - just thinking out loud.

Just read the entire email from Regent -- this new dining venue will replace Signatures on all of the ships. Assume this will be in summer, 2016 when the Explorer debuts. I, for one, will be happy to say au voir to Signatures!

For anyone that has not yet received the email, this might sound good (or not)

A sampling of epicurean delights include…

Hand-cut Charolais steak tartare in a hazelnut-Dijon emulsion topped with Perlita caviar d’Aquitaine

Roasted Cévennes rack of lamb with rosemary-mint persillade and sugar snap pea sauce

Poached Brittany blue lobster tail glazed with caramelized lobster roe butter on a bed of Sologne white asparagus and Romanesco

I think the reason some of these restaurants suffer from identity issues is because the cruise lines are trying to please everyone. If they make it strictly Japanese food, many will object because they do not like that cuisine. Same for Thai or Indian...etc. That's why fusion pops up so often, it's a little bit of everything for everyone's tastes. Only Italian, steak houses and to a lesser degree, French seem to appeal to a broad spectrum.

Only Italian, steak houses and to a lesser degree, French seem to appeal to a broad spectrum.

But it has to be mainstream Italian. Princess upgraded the food on their premium Italian restaurant on a cruise I took with them. I don't remember the menu, but I remember that I liked it a lot. But passengers that wanted Italian-American food (chicken parm, lasagna, etc.) were outraged, and a month later they reset the menu again.

I think Regent already tried Asian fusion and it didn't work? So, on the ships, they now have a steak house, a french restaurant, and in La Veranda, an Italian (most of the time) menu? Not sure how many restaurants there will be on Explorer, however.

I think you are wrong Jackie - Oceania does not say that Red Ginger is South East Asian at all. What it does say is this:

>>Bold Asian Cuisine

With a nod to feng shui, Red Ginger on board Marina and Riviera radiates harmony and tranquility. The interior simply glows with ebony woods, a soothing waterfall wall and striking, modern Asian artworks. To complement the stunning decor, Red Ginger’s chefs have created contemporary interpretations of Asian classics. Begin with a Salad of Spicy Roast Duck and Watermelon with Cashews, Mint and Thai Basil. Savor a Malaysian Beef Penaeng with Coconut Rice and Paratha Roti. Or try Thai Vegetable Curry with Sweet Potatoes, Aubergine, Mushrooms and Basil in Green Curry Sauce. In Red Ginger, the gustatory pleasures are as striking as the visual ones. <<

Personally I think it is a huge success, both in terms of look (décor etc) AND menu. And I tend to think that the next announcement of a restaurant will be of an Asian one. Fusion or not - we'll see. I rather think it will be fusion though because then you can have an eclectic menu with something for (almost) everyone...

I read with great interest the description of Chartreuse in the announcement and I wonder how many people will choose the Boeuf tartare? Not something I would think would appeal to a lot of Americans - but maybe I am wrong. When it is well done it is wonderful. Anything less than that - yuck!

jhp: The email from Regent indicates that the next specialty restaurant (that shows up on the deck plan of the Explorer as "specialty restaurant") will be announced in June. That should be the last one if the deck plans are correct.

Gerry, the last time I was on the Riviera (November), I was told that the restaurant is inspired by Vietnam, Thailand and Cambodia. Obviously, from the description of the items you listed, it encompasses more than just Southeast Asia. While I agree that an "eclectic menu with something for (almost) everyone..." sounds good, however as jhp stated, it has already failed on Regent.

Silversea has a Japanese restaurant on their newest ship (not on the other ships) and it is extremely popular. Based on U.S. tastes, it seems that the most popular Asian restaurants are Chinese, Japanese and Thai. IMO, anything with good sushi/sashimi would be wildly popular (and expensive for Regent). They would need other offerings to entice people that do not care for sushi. If Regent puts in an excellent non-fusion Asian restaurant, it is bound to be a hit ("excellent" being the key word).

Edited by Travelcat2

jhp: The email from Regent indicates that the next specialty restaurant (that shows up on the deck plan of the Explorer as "specialty restaurant") will be announced in June. That should be the last one if the deck plans are correct.

Gerry, the last time I was on the Riviera (November), I was told that the restaurant is inspired by Vietnam, Thailand and Cambodia. Obviously, from the description of the items you listed, it encompasses more than just Southeast Asia. While I agree that an "eclectic menu with something for (almost) everyone..." sounds good, however as jhp stated, it has already failed on Regent.

S.

Latitudes did fail on Regent BUT since you have been on Riviera Jackie you will know that Red Ginger has not/is not failing. It is highly popular and many people say it is their favourite of the speciality restaurants (I am one, and I never liked Latitudes!) Further my understanding of the Japanese restaurant on Silversea is that there is a hefty additional charge to eat there. I don't like this nickel and diming and I hope I am incorrect...I haven't looked at Silversea for many years so I could be out of date.

Gerry, it will be interesting to learn if Red Ginger remains your favorite restaurant after your cruise next month. It was our second favorite after our first Oceania cruise and dropped down to our least favorite on our last cruise. Part of our change of heart was that we can get Miso Glazed Sea Bass (a favorite of mine) on Regent so we only ordered it once on Oceania. We did not care for the their Thai inspired Lobster Pad Thai -- the flavors were not what we are used to at home (and I love Thai food). Wish I remembered all of the dishes we had during our three visits but, the flavors were not authentic IOO (in our opinion). Still love the sea bass but am not certain what Asian category that would come under (maybe Japanese because of the miso).

In any event, whatever they decide upon for the Explorer will probably be quite good. At this point I cannot imagine it being anything other than Asian.

We loved Latitudes more than we like Red Ginger. Again, everything depends upon personal tastes. As cAPS lOCK oN posted about Italian, food "mainstream" dishes are more likely to be accepted. In terms of Signatures, we have cancelled reservations more times than we have been there. However, on two or three occasions we have had amazing food. Other times it has been extremely disappointing. I could say the same about P-7. When their crab legs are good - they are fabulous. When they are not -- they are really poor.

So now flavors have to be what we are used to at home, not what the chefs think is appropriate. No wonder so many Americans revolted when one cruise line tried to up their ante with a more sophisticated Italian menu only to be told they want chicken parmagiana and meat balls and spaghetti.

So now flavors have to be what we are used to at home, not what the chefs think is appropriate. No wonder so many Americans revolted when one cruise line tried to up their ante with a more sophisticated Italian menu only to be told they want chicken parmagiana and meat balls and spaghetti.

I think you may have taken a few posts too literally. Personally, I do think that an Italian (or other ethnic) menu on a cruise ship should include some basic, familiar meals as described above in addition to items that passengers may not have tried before. For instance, on the sample menu for the new restaurant, we love rack of lamb but not "rosemary-mint" - just mint sauce. The blue lobster tail sounds interesting but not necessarily with lobster "roe" butter (unless it were on the side). I assume that we could order those dishes without the sauce which will make them perfect.

It has been our experience that restaurants who choose go far off what people are used to, they eventually end up going out of business. IMO, although the tastes may be wonderful, it is not something most people think of going to on a regular basis.

Obviously, this is my opinion. I know that there are times on Regent where I simply want a good plate of spaghetti, a simple steak or piece of fish.

Gerry, the Japanese restaurant on silversea does indeed carry a surcharge in the evening. At lunch it is included. So I have only eaten there at lunch. On reason, besides the surcharge, is that the evening meal is a large fixed menu. I like to be able to control portions, and don't want to pay for more than I should be eating. I will do Le Champagne, the other extra cost restaurant on silversea, once per cruise, but that is only because my husband loves it. So it is a treat for him.

Thanks Rachel - nice that you can eat in the Japanese restaurant at lunch without a surcharge - and I wonder if Regent would consider opening one of the speciality restaurants at lunch?

As for "Italian" - we did not like Toscana on Oceania because we don't like souther Italian food particularly. We prefer northern and especial Piedmonte cuisine. But also we don't like large portions and the veal chop we had there was just too huge. Would have fed 4 in our household. I will be posting from the Riviera when onboard and will be delighted to comment on Red Ginger. In fact, while I love the Miso Sea Bass I also very much enjoyed the Penang beef which reminded me of a Rendang, which I absolutely adore. So we'll see!!

IF Regent put in a Rasoï Indian restaurant on Explorer they would have truly fine dining IMO. But I suppose that is unlikely. However the food at Rasoï is the finest I have ever eaten - bar none!!

IF Regent put in a Rasoï Indian restaurant on Explorer they would have truly fine dining IMO. But I suppose that is unlikely. However the food at Rasoï is the finest I have ever eaten - bar none!!

I love Indian food so I Googled Rasoi Indian Restaurant. Found a listing in New Jersey but they have gone out of business. I did find one in Alabama but nothing anywhere near us. The description indicated that they have "healthy" Indian food. I have not had great Indian food since we were on the Mariner (with tallship).

Edited by Travelcat2

I love Indian food so I Googled Rasoi Indian Restaurant. Found a listing in New Jersey but they have gone out of business. I did find one in Alabama but nothing anywhere near us. The description indicated that they have "healthy" Indian food. I have not had great Indian food since we were on the Mariner (with tallship).

Sorry - I should have been more specific! Rasoï is an Indian restaurant - Vineet Bhatia owner and chef - in London (Chelsea) and Geneva (Mandarin Oriental Hotel). Bhatia was the first Indian chef in the UK to get a Michelin star... some years ago. I was referring to the Geneva one... not only is it visually beautiful but the food is amazing. I cook a LOT of Indian food and have been doing so for more than 50 years but Rasoï takes things to the level of a 2 and maybe even a 3 star French restaurant. Imagination/presentation/taste etc. Totally amazing. However I assume that on a ship an Asian restaurant has to appeal to a wide market and many people associate anything "Indian" with yellow curry sauce which all tastes the same. Anyway Jackie if ever you are in London go to Rasoï. Or Geneva - but being a way from any port I suppose Geneva isn't on your list!! You could look up their website and you will see what I mean - I hope!

Edited by Hambagahle

My guess is Regent will never put in an Indian restaurant because too many people dislike Indian food or are not familiar enough with it. There is a reason most specialty restaurants are either Italian, steak houses or possibly French. An Asian fusion type restaurant sometimes works too because it's not too specific and gives people options. Only a mega ship like RCCL or Norwegian where they may have twenty restaurants on board can afford to have something as specific as Indian. jmo.

Sorry - I should have been more specific! Rasoï is an Indian restaurant - Vineet Bhatia owner and chef - in London (Chelsea) and Geneva (Mandarin Oriental Hotel). Bhatia was the first Indian chef in the UK to get a Michelin star... some years ago. I was referring to the Geneva one... not only is it visually beautiful but the food is amazing. I cook a LOT of Indian food and have been doing so for more than 50 years but Rasoï takes things to the level of a 2 and maybe even a 3 star French restaurant. Imagination/presentation/taste etc. Totally amazing. However I assume that on a ship an Asian restaurant has to appeal to a wide market and many people associate anything "Indian" with yellow curry sauce which all tastes the same. Anyway Jackie if ever you are in London go to Rasoï. Or Geneva - but being a way from any port I suppose Geneva isn't on your list!! You could look up their website and you will see what I mean - I hope!

Thank you for the explanation! Actually, I would love to go to Geneva (my DH was there years ago). For some reason we haven't been to Europe (not even London) in a few years (except for port stops). When we did spend time in England, we generally only went to pubs and Indian restaurants. The one you describe sounds very good. Wish I could make naan -- there was a restaurant in Los Angeles where we went for Sunday brunch. While the food was fine, I sat and sipped champagne and ate naan. Unfortunately, I think it tastes best when you make it in a tandoor.

I wonder how many people will choose the Boeuf tartare? Not something I would think would appeal to a lot of Americans - but maybe I am wrong. When it is well done it is wonderful. Anything less than that - yuck!

I have never had boeuf tartare well done. In America it is usually raw. Is that a European thing? :D

Edited by commodore2010

[quote=Hambagahle;

This is slightly off topic, but if anyone is looking for a fantastic Indian cookbook, the Rasoi cookbook, which I am warning you is not for the novice cook, is easily one of the best cookbooks I own, and I have bookshelves of cookbooks. It is available from Amazon, both in the US and the UK. Makes a lovely gift for anyone who likes to cook Indian food.

gnomie :)