Royal screw up? Price differences

So, just for grins, I decided to check on the price of a cruise out of Galveston (on Liberty) for next January 3, cabin category E2. I was logged in to the RCI website, and got a total cabin cost of $2168 including BOGOHO and my Emerald discount. the price breakdown showed just that, a ridiculously inflated cabin cost, minus the discount and minus the "half off" :rolleyes: for the second passenger.

On a well known large online TA website, I got a price of $2121 for the exact same cabin, with NO emerald discount (I wasn't logged in anywhere and hadn't specified that this discount would apply). Then, I checked yet another online TA, and got a total price of $1966, again with no C&A discounts applied.

So, what gives, RCI? :mad: Apparently they just screw with the prices to give the appearance that C&A members are still getting their discounts when in reality they are not?

I am so sick and tired of RCI's stupid games.

I do know one thing though, anyone who books directly with Royal without checking around with a reputable TA could be screwing themselves out of a significant amount of money.

Edited by Cruzin-K

I agree too, I booked a cruise from San Juan for August is was more expensive with the half price second passenger thing than without the discount as the price of the first passenger had not been inflated.

Sick of the UK ripoff too, I just booked a cruise from venice for October, it was over £600 ($900) more on the uk website than the French one. It would not allow me to book using a uk credit card so I rang up, they tried to get me to ring the rip off UK centre instead. I said I wanted to pay in euros and they had to allow me to book using the french prices due to EU law. The thing is most UK guests wont realise their are different prices elsewhere. The USA website tends to be cheaper too and I have paid in dollars before because of this too.

I agree too, I booked a cruise from San Juan for August is was more expensive with the half price second passenger thing than without the discount as the price of the first passenger had not been inflated.

Sick of the UK ripoff too, I just booked a cruise from venice for October, it was over £600 ($900) more on the uk website than the French one. It would not allow me to book using a uk credit card so I rang up, they tried to get me to ring the rip off UK centre instead. I said I wanted to pay in euros and they had to allow me to book using the french prices due to EU law. The thing is most UK guests wont realise their are different prices elsewhere. The USA website tends to be cheaper too and I have paid in dollars before because of this too.

I used the usa TA before but didn't know about the french site can you post a link thank you so I can check price against it

The USA website tends to be cheaper too and I have paid in dollars before because of this too.

So have you successfully managed to book directly with RCI on the US website from the UK? I didn't think this was possible but through their US website (from a link on the UK page, not using any special software) got to the booking stage yesterday, just didn't go any further as I didn't want to book but was curious.

I agree with the pricing in general though, it doesn't add up - literally!

The issue, especially for those in the UK, is finding a reputable US TA that will accept bookings from the UK. If you are in the US and know of one, definitely use them, it does pay to shop around.

I agree, the pricing is very confusing. Regarding the TA websites, you could be looking at group pricing that was allocated to the TA when prices were different.

Good point, I hadn't thought of that but still - a $202 price difference without the Emerald discount ($327 with the discount) is pretty significant.

I was looking for January 2016, just to try to get that last NCC used up by taking a cruise from "home". I also have one for Princess so might look at that cruise out of Houston as well. We'll see how pricing ends up later this year after final payment date. I would love to sail on the Liberty.

I'm using an online US TA (I live in Israel). My cousin from Germany decided to join us in our upcoming cruise, checked the Royal site in Frankfurt -- very expensive.

I called "my" US agent -- she told me "no problem booking someone living in Europe through us -- I have many customers from Europe". So I booked my cousin, with her Germany address, on our cruise, paying with my Israeli credit card in US dollars. She got the 2nd person half price, free grats, 200$ OBC from Royal and an agency discount of 40$.

When I originally booked (3 months ago), I got also a "group" discount of 50$, because I didn't mind paying the full deposit, not the reduced one.

...So, what gives, RCI? :mad: Apparently they just screw with the prices to give the appearance that C&A members are still getting their discounts when in reality they are not? ....

discounts are often a strange business...and not just with Royal or even cruiselines.

people want to THINK they are getting a deal

lol

I checked with 4 different online T/A for that cruise and and I get $2293 on all but 1 of them, RCCL is also $2293 (no discounts). The last T/A I checked I got the last price you posted of $1966 but that it an E2 guarantee which none of he other online T/A's offered including RCCL. Plus hey offer a $225OBC

So if its the same site, I'd book with them

I checked with 4 different online T/A for that cruise and and I get $2293 on all but 1 of them, RCCL is also $2293 (no discounts). The last T/A I checked I got the last price you posted of $1966 but that it an E2 guarantee which none of he other online T/A's offered including RCCL. Plus hey offer a $225OBC

So if its the same site, I'd book with them

I did the same thing with a couple of cruises and on both I also got the same price that RCL is offering.

Interesting comments.

We booked well in advance for an Asian cruise with an online TA based in Germany. Considerably cheaper at that time than any UK or US TA. Being in the EU we benefit from EU consumer protection. Also the deposit amout was less and final payment only 30 days before sail date.

In the meantime the Euro has weakened against sterling so another win for us!

Interestingly I have just been able to book the Ultimate beverage packages in Euros at a considerably lower price than the US$ price.

None of this makes sense but just proves you have to do your research!

In the meantime the Euro has weakened against sterling so another win for us!

Interestingly I have just been able to book the Ultimate beverage packages in Euros at a considerably lower price than the US$ price.

None of this makes sense but just proves you have to do your research!

The recent tanking of the Euro has had some unusual side affects - booking in Euros with a European TA is actually cheaper than in USD in the US on some sailings. RCI has been very slow to adjust prices due to the exchange rate drop - I assume because the increased prices will have a very negative affect on European bookings.

Good point, I hadn't thought of that but still - a $202 price difference without the Emerald discount ($327 with the discount) is pretty significant.

I was looking for January 2016, just to try to get that last NCC used up by taking a cruise from "home". I also have one for Princess so might look at that cruise out of Houston as well. We'll see how pricing ends up later this year after final payment date. I would love to sail on the Liberty.

I book with a VERY well-known online TA & have seen roughly a $600 differential for certain Oasis/Allure bookings WITHOUT factoring in any kind of discount. It really just depends on whether the TA is involved in a group booking on that sailing.