Upgrade Fairy/Upsells when using a TA?

Lori Dobson

Hello Everyone,

I normally book all of my cruises myself, directly with whichever line I am going with. For my upcoming Alaska cruise on HAL, I booked it on-line on HAL's website then a few weeks later had the booking transferred to a TA which a good friend had recently started working for and who was pleading for my business.

Although I have an aft balcony cabin which I am happy with, I am always agreeable to considering switching, depending on the offer - so I'm curious, do you ever get upsell/Upgrade offers if your booking is through a TA?

Thanks in advance.

Hello Everyone,

I normally book all of my cruises myself, directly with whichever line I am going with. For my upcoming Alaska cruise on HAL, I booked it on-line on HAL's website then a few weeks later had the booking transferred to a TA which a good friend had recently started working for and who was pleading for my business.

Although I have an aft balcony cabin which I am happy with, I am always agreeable to considering switching, depending on the offer - so I'm curious, do you ever get upsell/Upgrade offers if your booking is through a TA?

Thanks in advance.

Yes, I have, but I seem to get them more often now that I use a HAL PCC. I think alot depends on the TA and their follow up.

About a month or three weeks out from you cruise you can call your TA and ask them to check what is available. There may be nothing, or you may be quite surprised. A good TA can often negotiate cabins and rates depending on the circumstances of your cruise.

Yes, I have, but I seem to get them more often now that I use a HAL PCC. I think alot depends on the TA and their follow up.

Thanks for the reply! I checked the HAL website and my cruise has every catagory still available except the signature suites - but then we are still about 2 months out from sailing and that of course will change.

PCC's do not have any more or less priority for these upgrades than TA's... but with that said...

TA's get a notification just like you would if booked direct with HAL. We then contact the guests to see if they are interested in taking it or not. Time is of the essence as they are first come first served. As long as you have a TA that is "on it" then you should hear about any offers that come their way

About a month or three weeks out from you cruise you can call your TA and ask them to check what is available. There may be nothing, or you may be quite surprised. A good TA can often negotiate cabins and rates depending on the circumstances of your cruise.

Hmmm... unfortunately, I have since found that my friend, who is great in that capacity, is not so great as a TA. But again, I am content with my aft balcony so I am good either way! :D

Thanks for the reply! I checked the HAL website and my cruise has every catagory still available except the signature suites - but then we are still about 2 months out from sailing and that of course will change.

You won't see much activity on upgrades or up sells until about 2 to 4 weeks out from the cruise, its a little early yet

I used a TA last year for our Alaska cruise. We were booked in a guaranteed balcony, and I did mention to her that I was amenable to an upgrade/upsell. I was offered the upsell to a Signature Suite about 3 weeks out, and took it. (there was an offer for the Neptune suite, but way out of my price range) Then the week before the cruise, was offered the Neptune Suite at the price that I liked. I'd already picked up my luggage tags and had to print the new ones myself....but I gladly did. Loved the NS. HAL knows what they are doing when they offer the upsell. :D

Edited by Dismomx5

I have a TA who takes good care of me. I've gotten the upsell offer again. That's three cruises in a row so I certainly can't complain:)

That being said, she's on the ball and KNOWS I want upsell offers and knows what I will pay ball park.

BUT I did select a cabin I would have been happy with, so, if the next category had sold out (which can happen) and it wasn't available I would have been happy. But I'm much happier now where we are :)

And happy to be cruising soon and getting out of all this snow.

What I like about using a PCC is that the upsells are emailed directly to ME!

Not from the TA, where they can sit and sit until someone thinks to look at them and email them to the customers!

I have found that a small agency may be faster than a large one, but I am sure it depends on the TA, how busy she is, if she is working the day the upsells come in......

Edited by SilvertoGold

What I like about using a PCC is that the upsells are emailed directly to ME!

Not from the TA, where they can sit and sit until someone thinks to look at them and email them to the customers!

I have found that a small agency may be faster than a large one, but I am sure it depends on the TA, how busy she is, if she is working the day the upsells come in......

I agree 100%. Some TAs have a special relationship with hal e.g they know the upsell manager. I don't believe for one second that all upsells go out to all pax. I just booked a cruise this morning for the 30 th of March. I'm wondering if I'll see an upsell to a balcony. This is a cheapie cruise for me so I'll be fine with my obstructed ov room just the same. It was rare that I ever saw uosells when I used a ta.

Edited by cruz chic

We just got an upsell offer through our TA for our cruise leaving on Sunday. We didn't choose to take the offer, but it was fun to receive it. I would agree that it would be nicer to receive the offer directly to my own email, and then I could reply more quickly. My TA helped us get a free beverage package, so I am happy with him for now:D!

We received 4 upgrade letters from our TA over the last three weeks. They started at $499, then $399, then $299 and again $299. So, two days ago (four days before the cruise) I asked my TA to offer half the offer. HAL responded that $249 was the least they would go. We accepted. Unfortunately, by the time my TA called and I got the message, the rooms were sold. We were going from an SS to an SB.

Oh well. I'm happy with the SS. It was the excitement of the chase.

I have also gotten up sell offers using a TA. Just make sure your TA knows your open for up sells and she follows up.

... I agree 100% - we have a fabulous TA and have used her for more than a decade now, so she knows our preferences, needs and wants probably as well as we do!!! Without any prodding from us, our TA starts checking for upgrade opportunities as soon as final payments are due, as that apparently is the very earliest that HAL "knows" what the passenger load will be on any given cruise ... good luck,

Rod