Port Charge Solstice Hawaii

tnfcruise

When I book a cruise, in this case the April 2016 Solstice Honolulu to Vancouver, I research all the details including cabin price before I contact my TA. It's not occurred to me, until this particular booking, that the TA's invoice adds a hefty per-person "port charge" that is not evident when I do a dummy reservation through the Celebrity site, looking for preferred cabins for a possible change within the same category. And, I do go far enough in the dummy to check the detail of summary of charges-- no port charge listed. My TA has charged $250 pp for this! I've now checked another upcoming cruise and there are similar port charges listed. Am I getting ripped off?

Edited by tnfcruise

When I book a cruise, in this case the April 2016 Solstice Honolulu to Vancouver, I research all the details including cabin price before I contact my TA. It's not occurred to me, until this particular booking, that the TA's invoice adds a hefty per-person "port charge" that is not evident when I do a dummy reservation through the Celebrity site, looking for preferred cabins for a possible change within the same category. And, I do go far enough in the dummy to check the detail of summary of charges-- no port charge listed. My TA has charged $250 pp for this! I've now checked another upcoming cruise and there are similar port charges listed. Am I getting ripped off?

What you need to do is compare the "all in price" from X and TA. Both should be the same, or your TA less if they got you a deal. If TA is MORE, then there is a problem.

TA's often itemize out more of their cruise fares pricing than does X. This is because they get commissions not on the full cruise fare, but on the fare, minus certain charges the cruise line will not commission on, so some TA's display those as a separate item to account for it correctly internally - this piece is known as the Non Commissionable Cruise Fare (NCCF).

So if your invoice looks like:

$1000 Fare

$250 Port charges

$136 taxes and fees

------

$1386 total

and if booked direct at Celebrity it looks like:

$1250 fare

$136 taxes, fees and port expenses (this is the terminology X uses)

------

$1386 total

All is good.

Edited by cle-guy

What you need to do is compare the "all in price" from X and TA. Both should be the same, or your TA less if they got you a deal. If TA is MORE, then there is a problem.

TA's often itemize out more of their cruise fares pricing than does X. This is because they get commissions not on the full cruise fare, but on the fare, minus certain charges the cruise line will not commission on, so some TA's display those as a separate item to account for it correctly internally - this piece is known as the Non Commissionable Cruise Fare (NCCF).

$1000 Fare

$250 Port charges

$136 taxes and fees

------

$1386 total

$1250 fare

------

$1386 total

All is good.

OP,

This is the best explanation of this you could possibly hope to receive.

$1000 Fare

$250 Port charges

$136 taxes and fees

------

$1386 total

$1250 fare

------

$1386 total

All is good.

Thanks so much, cle-guy, I had my fingers crossed that you'd reply.

Calculating my future X sailings costs, using the very clear comparison example you've supplied, all is NOT good. I'll be pursuing further.

BTW, we live in Brecksville, but for much of my adult life I was in downtown Cleveland (way before it was cool).[emoji57]

Tina

You are being scammed in my opinion. Cancel booking now. Use a different discount agency. Hawaii port charges among the lowest. Pricing will come down later also. Was on that cruise last year, delightful.

Edited by zoncom

It appears that the TA is tacking on a hefty service charge under the all encompassing Port Fees column. I would be looking at another TA as soon as possible unless the TA can explain the difference in price. Maybe there are additional OBC that are provided by the TA in addition to what Celebrity may be offering.

The main price should be the bottom line price but sometimes things are hidden or added in the main body of the invoice

Sometimes if booking onboard Celebrity will also include insurance and TAs may also do that.

It will also include the price of prepaid gratuities that is required if in AQ or select dining.

Sometimes the bottom line price may be minus the deposit required that should show up in the main body of the invoice. Eg the bottom line price may show $4000 but the total price could be $4400 because the main body shows that $400 deposit was paid.

Also find out if the TA charges for any changes or cancellations. Some charge $50 pp for any cancellation or change and that will cause a lot of grief as you may want to change a cabin to a different location, take advantage of a price drop or promotion.

Always check the prices on other on line websites. It is very easy to do.

happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌞

Thanks, all, for the advice and comments. Although I'm aware of most of the points you made, miched, they each bear checking and repeating.

And, zoncom, it will be our first time to Hawaii (and Vancouver, for that matter) and we're really looking forward to next year's cruise. I'm not going to let this TA issue cloud our excitement. About six weeks until our Cape Liberty to Bermuda on the Summit --first time there, too.

We are doing the same cruise Solstice Honolulu to Vancouver in April this year (just four weeks to go, can't wait) and the port charges are 50 Euros/about 65USD per person. We can't book directly with X in my country, so booking is always with the TA.

Think something must be wrong with the your TA invoice!

Contact the TA and ask for an explanation, if that doesn't suffice, change TA or book direct.:D

Good luck and I am sure you will get it sorted one way or the other.:D

Yes, thanks...I'm a little disappointed in myself that I didn't catch this sooner, but now that you all have helped me figure out how to approach my TA and analyze my invoice, I've got the situation well in hand. Thanks again.

Yes, thanks...I'm a little disappointed in myself that I didn't catch this sooner, but now that you all have helped me figure out how to approach my TA and analyze my invoice, I've got the situation well in hand. Thanks again.

No worries, live and learn.:D