Cruising with kids

_wilson

I personally love it started with 2.5 year old then 20 month and 5.5 yr old now just over a week ago was on vision they love it and i almost enjoy more seeing the excitement in there eyes more then any thing else. The little things like towel animals aerial shows and all the dinner items they really enjoyed. Yes i didnt do quest or some of the adult themed items but i am more then ok missing that my kids talk about there cruises for a long time go and enjoy!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

We've cruised with our kids since they were 6 months old. Our oldest isn't even in grade school yet and has been on about 7 cruises to about 10 countries.

Wonderful family memories that we wouldn't trade for anything.

There is a family board here on cc where you can get a wealth of information and questions answered.

My daughter was 23 months of age on her first cruise. Even though she was a month too young for Camp Carnival, it was fun watching her explore the ship. She enjoyed the attention she got from the staff. She enjoyed the production show (we did sit near the back just in case we needed to do a quick exit; a month before we took her to Blues Clues Live for an introduction to a loud and big audience experience).

The next cruise she was 3 and old enough to go to the kids' programs. Every morning she would ask if "ship's school" was open yet. By the time she was 15, she's been on 8 cruises.

We waited until our youngest was 6 and could enjoy pools and kids clubs. We felt that before then, we would be trapped in our small cabin at night. If that's the case, a condo on a beach seems a better way to go. People have different views on this. As you can see, others love bringing babies and toddlers.

I have cruised with my kids since about 9 months of age (they are 10,13 now).

We have always enjoyed a good mix of adult time and family time.

I never minded sending them to the after hours and paying 20-30 a night for care.

In some cruises, we had a cruise staff come babysit in our cabin for a few hours ar night.

Twice we brought a babysitter along with us.

My 13 year old has cruised 15 times. YES - it's worth it (and my kids agree).

ENJOY IT!!!

What are your experiences with cruising with kids?

We have a toddler and are wondering whether it is all worth it...

I think you need to make sure that your toddler is old enough to be left alone at the children's club. There is always a minimum age and a "toilet trained" requirement on cruise lines. The details vary slightly between lines but are very important. If they are not old enough delay booking until they are as taking them to the club and you staying there as well as them is not sensible particularly if booking a cruise three months later would have let them get in alone!

If you can leave them alone at the club they should have an excellent time, some not wanting to come back out very often. They meet new little friends and have experiences they wont get elsewhere. Meanwhile you can get on with night life to some extent until your pager goes off. So it's a winners all round situation to me.

Regards John

We drove our three kids to Southern California to celebrate my daughters 3rd birthday. It was grand time, my dad's wife made her a princess dress that she wore and she got dozens of autographs from Disney characters. My sons where six and nine at the time. It was a great trip.

My daughter doesn't remember any of it.

Family vacations are at the top of my list as very important for a bonding time that is hard to get in our busy lives at home. However, we adults tend to get a bit self serving as to who gets the most out of that bonding time.

There is an age limit to what we should expect the kids to get out of the experience. After our cruise from Hawaii where the baby in the suite next to us cried non stop the whole two week trip, I concluded that ships aren't a great venue for babies and toddlers. Ships are a little different than land vacations as you (and your neighbors) are stuck on the ship.

In our experience of a lot of cruises and family vacations, I would suggest land vacations until the youngest is about six.

Burt